Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 Bolt Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by metalneverdies, Apr 13, 2017.

1. metalneverdies

metalneverdies 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I keep shearing off the support rod bolt on the belhousing. I am absolutely using grade 8 bolts. OEM trans cross member. Any ideas on how to stop this? I don't have huge tires, haven't wheeled it very hard.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 1 ton status Vendor

What kind of condition is the slip in your front driveshaft in? Have you greased it?

3. metalneverdies

Build(s):
    It was in good to OK shape. Used CV drive shaft but has fresh joints and CV joint. What type of grease is recommended? I know ATF leaks out all over at my output seal. One of those things I keep putting off until I swap my trans.

4. metalneverdies

Build(s):
    Ever since my lift I have had a vibration that I cant get rid of. Rebuilt my drive shaft, submitted my drive shaft angles to the board here and called DIY4x and have been to a local drive shaft shop. All say it looks good. Not sure why I have the vibration. It doesn't feel violent enough to cause broken bolts...

If there is a passenger in the rear seat the vibration mostly goes away. I think it may be more of an annoying resonance type of vibration since I pulled out the stock padding and buytal stuff under the carpet at the same time as the lift.

5. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    If the passenger weighs the truck down any, WOW, than your pinion angle should be looked at.

Or it's you bench seat that's loose :D

And I would agree, might be your slip. It should move freely.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  6. metalneverdies

Build(s):
    I checked it like a dozen times, I am pretty confident its good. Guess I will grease up the drive shaft. What type of grease should I use? Don't want to contaminate the transfer case fluid.

7. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I would start by pulling the driveshaft off the axle and pulling the slip apart. See if the splines look good and check that it moves freely. I tend to just lube with wheel bearing grease but that will need more maintenance. Something even thicker would be best. I put this stuff in my U-joints since I don't run needle bearings. You wouldn't need much, stuff is awesome.

[​IMG]

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Build(s):
    weird thing but how is the motor mounts ? ?

I have seen them bad give a LOT of unwanted flex in the system . DO NOT buy o.e.m aftermarket replacements there junk these days and don't last at all.

also check the trans/t-case mount . even if you have to block of wood/floor jack it to try and move it . the rubber could be unbonded and still look o.k.

9. metalneverdies

Build(s):
    It has the clam shell style mounts. I know they are not the most recommended mount setup but I really didn't want to go with poly mounts. They were new mounts when I installed my ls swap stuff. Only a few thousand miles on the whole setup, the trans mount was new too. I will check them all out again when I grease the splines.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Build(s):
    you can buy energy suspension inserts for the clamb shell . that's the best way to go other than full aftermarket like ord or diy4x makes.

one member here went threw 2 sets of oem style crapy replacments in a few months until he went poly .