Old City Park legal issues

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by ktmoutfront, Aug 13, 2018.

1. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Why did I look at the wheel on Chris's truck and think, "why is it 4 lug?"

4door99 and F.S.F.W like this.
  2. ChrisPerry

ChrisPerry Contemplating links Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I was missing 16 lugs when I got to Moab, the ones from the parts house didn't match. Funny part is I found them on the back seat of the d-max when I got home.

F.S.F.W likes this.
  3. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    I did

4. Bent77

Bent77 lil meanie Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I thought about it and concluded it’s because you weren’t there to supervise

Babaganoosh likes this.
  5. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    He wasn't there. Blame the gnome on him.

Bent77 likes this.
  6. ChrisPerry

ChrisPerry Contemplating links Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Ok, ok, I'll do my best to be there next year.

ashman, Babaganoosh and Bent77 like this.
  7. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
  8. DickeysK5

DickeysK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Cathy and I stayed at the Apache Motel this year - nice place. I asked the manager about the City Council and their attitude toward off-road vehicle users. According to the manager, the problem is the ATV/side-by sides in town. Residents are tired of the ATV/SbS ripping around at all hours. They tried a sign campaign, "Throttle Down in Town". (I saw a few.) But the problem got worse. I assured the manager that Blazer Bash and I are always respectful in town and on the trial. I even apologized for the slightly loud exhaust of my rig. She was not concerned at all. The manager and office staff were very accommodating of my tow rig, trailer, and trail rig. They let me park the tow rig and trailer at the rental property behind the motel. Apparently they are busy during EJS. So at least that business operator supports full size off road vehicle use :)

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    I'm starting to feel like the side by sides are wrecking the trails around Colorado in 2 ways. For one they are creating a ton of traffic on the trails and second I see a lot of bypasses popping up that match the size of a side by side.

F.S.F.W likes this.
  10. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    Same thing in Moab. Every rough spot or little ledge has a smooth go around that a flat fender jeep could not use.

11. skunked

skunked phat block slush machine Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    the golf carts are a problem out here too as most of them do not understand trail etiquette.

F.S.F.W likes this.
  12. r3dd0g

r3dd0g 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Yep, ATCs and quads did the same thing 30 years ago to all the motorcycle trails, now the stupid golf carts are doing it to the 4x4 trails.

13. Bent77

Bent77 lil meanie Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Bumping this to the top just so everyone can read, and remember no booze or dogs at the BBQ on Friday

14. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If the city council is making things rough, and you feel the need to boycott. A nice letter to the chamber of commerce, regarding the hostile attitude towards our group/hobby, has led me/us to avoid all businesses in said city. Even at our inconvenience to go else where.
    I have sent said letter once, it helped remove the red light cameras in Victorville. The city council could care less about our group, ...but the Chamber of Commerce well....

15. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    The chamber and the majority of the businesses are pro offroad. The residents have become more tree huggers than offroaders. The biggest issue is the side by sides showing up late at night and ripping down the streets with loud exhausts. So therefore, all offroaders are bad.

The area economy would reduce by 50% according to the chamber of commerce. Even the parks employees understand this. They contacted me from personal phones to warn me that the council is checking events on city property.

We were thanked for how clean the park was after our use last year. Even with the dumpster full when we got there.

16. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, but the Chamber of Commerce are the folks the city council will listen to. Or they will loose the business community support. 50% reduction in income would not be tolerated by the community.

17. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't be so certain about that. The Moab demographic and mentality, like a lot of the west honestly, is in a bit of a shift from motorized uses to less motorized use. It will be a good amount of time before the tides totally turn but there is a shift in thoughts about our sport. From what I hear Moab and the surrounding area is very much like western Colorado. The long time locals are being pushed out by new City types that moved to the area for what the area has to offer but then they want to change things to what they were used to. It's a whole political discussion that isn't going to get solved here but in general I don't feel like the core of Moab (downtown specifically) welcomes motorized uses, the fringes of town do and for the time being those edge votes are keeping the status quo but won't forever.

VRBO/Air BB and Utah legalizing the UTV crowd to use the highways was one of the biggest mistakes and catalysts to the changes we're seeing. The UTV market has grown so fast that every richie rich from the city can by a Razor and head to Moab and be a dirt bag on the street. Also keep in mind the locals have no reprieve from the noise and parties because the VRBO next door has 4 couples staying there with 6 loud UTV's and 18 coolers of booze that they intend to drink in three days. I live where people come to vacation and I get really pissed when I have to deal with the attitudes that come with crappy vacationers, good vacationers that want to enjoy themselves and respect the area they are in are very welcome though.

I'm guilty of doing the party like a rockstar thing and being loud and belligerent at times, I've been trying to put myself in the shoes of other people though that have to get up at 6:00 in the morning to go to work etc.

With that, we can all help our cause by being the shining examples of respect and integrity within our group. When we take care of things we can help foster the right attitude towards our desired form of recreation and still have fun. I think BB has been that group for a good period of time and will continue to be.

18. JoshHefnerX

JoshHefnerX 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I have a sxs, and get pretty upset by all the douchebaggery and asshattery that I see from others. Just like a lot of groups it makes us all look bad.

19. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    Sxs's are the personal water craft of the boating hobby, quads of the dessert hobby.

Not that every one who owns one is bad, most aren't, but there seems to be enough to piss people off.

4door99, Fastereddie and JoshHefnerX like this.
  20. r3dd0g

r3dd0g 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    It's just too easy to buy one (financed) then go out and take it on a trail. No fear of "I better stay on the trail or I'll break it", no learning proper trail etiquette, just swipe the card, sign your life away and go tear up the desert.

fourwheelerjeff, 4door99 and Blazooki like this.