Question about air pres. on 16.5s and riding like azz

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grafixxman, Oct 18, 2006.

1. grafixxman

grafixxman Registered Member

I have a 87 1/2 ton longbed that rides like an unloaded dump truck now. It is all stock minus the motor and 33x12.50 BFG MT/KMs. It rides terrible.

Now, I have a 60 and 14 bolt out of a M1008, lifting it 6" springs all around, 16.5x12 Eagle wheels w/ 38.5x15x16.5 Boggers. It will be completed within the next few weeks.

Now, I know the boggers will ride terrible and the springs aren't the soft-ride models...but I am more concerned with air pressures on the 16.5s. I would like to run a little less air pres. to try to help the ride as much as possible. Since they don't have a safety bead...how low can you go and still be safe? How low can you go on the road, but how low can you go off the road?

I have thought about rim screws since I am a long time drag racer and I cannot afford beadlocks right now. If I have to, I will bust out the drill and go to town on the wheels. I would rather not if it isn't necessary.

Do you think I will be ok or not so good with the 12" wheels. I know I should probably have the 9.75s, but this is what I currently own and I cannot afford the start changing things now. I just got all my parts together to do this. Down the road, I plan on some beadlocks, but I am more concerned with right now?

So, please help a new guy out. Past experiences, know of a guy, whatever.

Thanks

Tyler

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I saw a water bladder in the new Petersons you can add weight to the bed with so it rides better .

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am running 12 inch wheels with 44/18.5-16.5 gumbo monster mudders. I run about 20 psi on the road and 7-9 offroad. I could probably go a little lower but they conform well enough. no beadlocks, no screws, and I wheel hard. I have lost one bead. I was being pulled sideways with a winch. I came to a stop, the guy kept spooling in the cable and pulled the sidewall into a pointed rock. it pushed in right by the rim and poof my truck's sitting a foot lower.:doah: I carry a full size spare, so it wasn't the end of the world.

I never thought that my boggers rode terribly. I ran them every day on the street for over a year. with the lift you are running and the wide wheels they will rub. I had an 8" lift with cutout flares running 35/16.5-16.5 boggers and they would hit the inner fender when flexing.

If you run a narrow wheel with a bogger you will wear the center of the tread out quickly and ruin a set of awesome tires.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

couldnt you lower the pressures to make for a flatter footprint and make them last longer?

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you need a certain amount of air pressure to keep the tire reasonably stable on the road. go to intercotire.com. they recommend a certain size rim for a reason.

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got the same tires but in 15s on 12s, and with about 15# it isn't too bad. Anymore the center will wear out in no time. Anyless will squirm all over the road, and being a 16.5, could pop off the bead. Get a good set of shocks. I had a 3/4 ton that had an all spring 6" lift. Two shocks front, single rear. When I swapped a 60 in, I left one shock on, and it rode ten times better. The BBC and Ranch Hand style bumper helped too.

7. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

i run 18 psi on my 44" boggers on street and have ran 15 also but 18 was best for street in my opinion ..