Quick Wiring Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LLY Escalade Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Hey guys!

I've basically entirely rebuilt the wiring harness in my truck, and installed several new ones, lol (TPI and trailering etc)

My question should be a real simple one -- How does the seatbelt warning light work? LOL :D

It was working earlier in the night, then suddenly it stopped working. As far as I can tell, the seatbelt thinger needs to be grounded to turn the light on, and it is grounded only when the seatbelt is all the way in. However, If I manually ground the wire, the light will not turn on. I checked for voltages up in the bezel, and I was not able to get any. This seems odd though, as it all worked less than 10 minutes before that. Should I just jumper two wires to get it working, or what could it to loose power, while other lights on the circuit still have power and work?

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Do you really, really need the seatbelt warning light?

3. Russell

Build(s):
    Not really, but it'll bug me forever :D

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i know this is dumb but have u checked resistance/continuity on the wire and circuit (+ side bulb to seatbelt switch)? through the circuit and voltage from common solid ground to positive in on circuit? sorry thought i would ask( i miss small stuf a lot and i have a degree in this stuff :blush: good thing job paid for it)

5. Russell

Build(s):
    haha, simple problem. The door has to be closed for the light to work :P

Closed the door and it started working :)

Next task is to figure out my signal lights. I am most definitely blaming bad grounds and the fact that the rear wiring harness is not currently connected :P Other than them, everything is running dandy :)