CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

R2D2 The new HorPig

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Introducing R2D2, my new work HORse and tow PIG.
C5544603-8B9A-4C1E-BCA0-13232DE618C2.jpeg
I have been without an actual truck for 2+ years now. I’ve never been without a truck and it’s driven me crazy. Borrowing and renting sucks.

I wanted a truck, but NEEDED a van for my retail business. As a plus, 6.0/6L80 in a 3500 chassis is much cheaper in van form than even a high mileage 1500 truck. I’d been looking at these a while, unfortunately as the prices rose. After finishing refinancing the house, I ran out and bought the van, financing half.
Wife and I were organizing key chains for the store one night. I wanted one for the van. Match at first sight.

DA713535-01F5-4591-AD42-4EB5FDF7B90C.jpeg

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So I’ve been slowly working on it. I plan to add the Prodigy P3 I asked about a week ago. I’ve got a new stereo and speakers for it. (Gotta get better sounds for it, they only come with 2 speakers) I’ll be making a speaker box for under the back bench seat to house a couple 6x9s. I’ve got 2 more benches in my garage.

I’ve got the same HT LED pods on the blazer. They are phenomenal and the wiring is A+. That’s a 16,000lb Curt V receiver I mounted up also. Just need trailer wiring and a hitch. :D

5B4FB48E-6EEB-471C-B509-986F86E44CCA.jpeg
And the first thing I put on the van, even before I signed the paperwork from AVIS...

1BB81453-DBC7-4F9A-9403-0714ACFC843F.jpeg

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Couple questions of ya’ll.

Can anyone recommend a center console for this thing? It’s got an enormous space between the seats and I need more “glovebox” room. Ive looked at some google pictures and will probably just wing it unless someone can narrow it down :)

Also, installing this brake controller. On the blazer, the controller doesn’t have a gyro thingy so I mounted it vertical. This P3 has the gyro accelerometer thingy. As long as the unit is parallel with the truck (front to back) can I mount it on its side? It’s pretty tight with the van leg/knee room. Just wondering if that would mess it up. Thanks y’all.

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I believe the prodigy has to be flat side to side in line with the vehicle, but can be pointed almost straight up.

Did you look for a pigtail for the brake controller? Some of those Van's had them in the glove box when new. The rear may also have the pigtail plug in the harness. Just buy the 7 prong pig tail and plug it in.

Nice van.

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
2019 41k miles
I have some taped up wires under the driver side carpet that look like trailer stuff but nothing out back. I’ve read through threads about these vans where wires will be there but never terminated if it didn’t come with a tow packages. Meaning, I haven’t checked for 12v yet myself but others have, find nothing and end up chasing dead wires that go nowhere. :(
I have a kit coming to finish off the wiring. Hope next week to be official :) Controller mounting might suck though.

fourwheelerjeff

Jeff's Offroad Emporium
Staff member
Reaction score
2019 41k miles
I have some taped up wires under the driver side carpet that look like trailer stuff but nothing out back. I’ve read through threads about these vans where wires will be there but never terminated if it didn’t come with a tow packages. Meaning, I haven’t checked for 12v yet myself but others have, find nothing and end up chasing dead wires that go nowhere. :(
I have a kit coming to finish off the wiring. Hope next week to be official :) Controller mounting might suck though.

those wires under the driver's side carpet are probably used to hook up the controller

https://www.etrailer.com/question-328390.html

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I read through that from my other thread, thanks cause it was helpful.
I will check to see if I can use those wires for the controller power and signal.
Outside of that, I don't have the frame mounted round plug at the back of the van, so the item they talk about wont work.
At this point the best I can hope for is the taped wires help feed the controller, everything after that I'll be using the other part numbers E-trailer mentioned in the reply. :waytogo: Wrapping up the reverse light wiring/switch location today. I'll try to test those wires also.

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I got lucky on my Ram. Just needed the 30995. Had the factory controller in the dash. A 2015 Ford van I worked on had the in dash factory controller wires, no controller. And the relay plug in the fuse box did not have any wires in it. Nothing feed the controller wires. Ran everything new. Stupid Ford.

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well stupid Chevy also. (However, I didn’t look to see if fuses were missing) I checked 2 LT-blue wires, both marked “stop light”, and neither had 12v when pushing on the brakes :(
Also checked for constant or key on power and had nothing. Grounds are good lol
Whatever, I know how to wire it when the time comes. Got the controller mounted in the meantime, can test for now if the location bothers me. Finished the lights. Not a huge fan of the switch, nothing at all wrong with it, just doesn’t suit my taste.

D7E972D1-E782-43B5-A1B5-22CCDC10E0F0.jpeg

B93583DE-4F77-4E49-9250-648B8C34CF89.jpeg

C0CDD0B9-7856-4F15-AB34-B7A800489C8B.jpeg

ACEFA459-62E2-415A-8296-1C1632A4491F.jpeg

2BC2E1CB-45EC-45A7-9240-07CE4BC47984.jpeg

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the same hitch on my '11 express. Such an easy install. Hopefully you ordered the Curt wiring kit for the rear to go with it. Its the one I used, plugged right in to the factory connectors back there. Hitch and wiring done in 15 minutes.

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Can you replace the bucket seat with a split bench with the fold down console?

Martin

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's not how you do the spare. There should be a couple of extensions that go in through the bumper. Then the tire iron is used to turn them.
Honestly I didn’t think to look. My last truck didn’t need an extension :doah:
I have the same hitch on my '11 express. Such an easy install. Hopefully you ordered the Curt wiring kit for the rear to go with it. Its the one I used, plugged right in to the factory connectors back there. Hitch and wiring done in 15 minutes.
I’ve got the harness coming that plugs into the tail light harness. I don’t have any trailer wiring back there so that’s first to add. Then run the trailer brake stuff up front. :waytogo:
Can you replace the bucket seat with a split bench with the fold down console?

Martin
Mmmm I really like the buckets. Quite comfortable and adjustable :D

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Have you sat it a split bench seat from like a 2005 Suburban. They are basically bucket seats.

Martin

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So I’ve been working a little on the stereo upgrade. I’m putting JBL 5.25” speakers in the doors and some 6.5” under the first bench behind me. Planning to make a speaker box for it. These vans don’t really come with 4 speakers, so with the new head unit, I’ll be taking advantage of the rear channels. Also threw some fake Dynomat in the doors while I was there. Seems like maybe 6.5” speakers could have fit there but 5.25” is what it called for :( Also, crazy these factory speakers and buckets are one piece riveted to the door.

19EB5B60-6592-4074-8858-4109DD6E438F.jpeg

644C589D-0FEC-452B-A66C-F5CC78A7A7A3.jpeg

519DFDE5-372F-4397-B49D-2948F97D710F.jpeg

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
And yes, I’m well aware of the nightmare that awaits if I gotta replace the window regulator :D

Before I go and cut wires for the stereo, are there any adapters out there to go from my Kenwood to the factory stuff? I hate stereo installs just for this reason.

If it was plug and play, I’d really only have to run the rear channel wires separate. That would be nice.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
And yes, I’m well aware of the nightmare that awaits if I gotta replace the window regulator :D

Before I go and cut wires for the stereo, are there any adapters out there to go from my Kenwood to the factory stuff? I hate stereo installs just for this reason.

If it was plug and play, I’d really only have to run the rear channel wires separate. That would be nice.
I am sure if you know where to look there are adapters for all oem but I never bothered

Top Bottom