CK5
Register an account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Rubicant needs less non-optimal gears... ORD Magnum?

CyberSniper

1/2 ton status
 Premium
Joined
Apr 21, 2003
Posts
3,082
Reaction score
823
Location
Chelsea, MI
I use my JKUR mostly for birdwatching (or doing stupid shit normal people would use a tractor for). Usually in places where you shouldn't take a vehicle of such size...

I mostly drive it around on the idle air control valve (AKA, the ECM tries to not let it stall). Remember that the 3.6L Pentashit V6 really doesn't want to go below 750rpm. I think below 900rpm the starter has more torque.

It does get flat towed behind the motorhome for up to 450 miles per day, which makes things irritating.

The 4:1 low of my Rubicant transfercase is too low sometimes. And 1:1 is too fast sometimes. I usually end up running 2nd gear in low, but then I have to listen to the planetaries sing. Which makes it hard to hear the birds.

A 2:1 to 3:1 would be perfect for trailbirding, but not deep enough for actual dealing with trail obstacles. Sometimes, with trail obstacles, I can't move my size 15s fast enough between the three pedals at 4:1 so a little deeper would be nice.

The obvious solution for a JK is a Atlas 4 speed. I'd probably do the 2.72/4.3:1 option with the VSS housing with the pump in it for flat towing.

I happen to have several Furd NP205s to choose from. An ORD Magnum plugged into a TMI NP205 with Furd guts in it seems like an optimal solution if I can't get the case of a Ford NP205 to fit. Anyone know if the ORD Magnum can deal with flat towing? Does this seem like a dumberer idea than normal?
 
I have been contemplating putting JL axles under it and going to 37s. Need something a little wider so I don't lose turning diameter. The 35s rub on the sway bar and frame with JK axles.

Straight 2.72:1 would not be enough when I get to real obstacles I need to slow down for. Most of the birding is done at 2-15mph.

WithoutSnorkel_S.jpg
 
Yes, dumberer idea. Anyhow, the magnum would not care about towing because the 205 would be in neutral. I don't think a magnum works with jeep trans, it might? I tend to agree with @obijuank5 , just put a 2.7 jeep case if 4:1 is too low and dial it in with axle gears. Or keep the 4:1 and dial it in with tire size
 
The obvious solution for a JK is a Atlas 4 speed. I'd probably do the 2.72/4.3:1 option with the VSS housing with the pump in it for flat towing.

:waytogo:

I have an older JK and have thought about putting a RubiCrawler in it
 
Top Bottom