CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Which would be best???

• Shackle down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thomas Fournier

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m sure this has been talked about in other threads but I can’t seem to find anything on it. I’m rebuilding my anti wrap bar and I was trying to figure out which would be better, shackle up or shackle down at the crossmember. I’ve seen both on all kinds of trucks, I previously ran mine shackle down, however, I remember hearing that shackle up is better due to the rotational force of the diff pulling the shackle rather than pushing it. I suppose this would eliminate the chances of a bind under heavy torque and flex.

For the purposes of this thread....Shackle “up” is referenced to the shackle mounting point under the bar. Shackle “down” will be in reference to the mounting point being a above the bar like a “shackle flip.”

FYI its a 77 Chevy k20 shackle flip spring over with 56 inch leafs. I have the chassis unlimited traction bar kit as of right now. Looks like the shackle up would be easiest for way I have it set up now, however, if it is beneficial I could run it shackle down. Basically I’m just rebuilding the crossmember to raise the front of the bar out of the way of obstacles.

what’s your guys thoughts? Pictures of your builds would be awesome as well

BBBB33C4-FC07-4412-9AF0-5FFE8344444F.jpeg

shackle down

3589060F-18FD-4FEF-99D6-3125D60FA4E8.jpeg

shackle down

35FBF3A8-57EF-4F6D-BBB6-82CF907B65CE.jpeg

shackle up

33E1D935-34DD-4368-A23E-F220143414C6.jpeg

shackle up

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
There’s a really good thread discussing this somewhere on here. It may be the official anti-wrap thread.

Top Bottom