CK5 Forums

Take a few seconds to register your free account to post topics or questions, and view exclusive content!

Shaft stuck in HEI:

vandelay industries

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any tips on getting the shaft out of an HEI distributor?

WJYMovL.jpg

i managed to get it this far by gently tapping with a hammer at the gear end and slightly twisting back and forth a little. But, at this point, it won't move at all. These were gently taps, not big poundings.

When the distributor is fully assembled, the shaft does turn freely.

i understand that the shaft should fall out normally, but i suspect this is the first time the distributor has been dissembled. (Ronald Reagan was still president when this distributor was first placed in service......)

bradshawtech

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any tips on getting the shaft out of an HEI distributor?

WJYMovL.jpg

i managed to get it this far by gently tapping with a hammer at the gear end and slightly twisting back and forth a little. But, at this point, it won't move at all. These were gently taps, not big poundings.

When the distributor is fully assembled, the shaft does turn freely.

i understand that the shaft should fall out normally, but i suspect this is the first time the distributor has been dissembled. (Ronald Reagan was still president when this distributor was first placed in service......)
Varnish buildup? Maybe try to soak it with brake cleaner or PB Blaster

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Huck it in the chuck-it-bucket and go grab a ready to run HEI Accel from Advance. They're usually on the shelf. :D

Top Bottom