So my truck breaks down in the middle of the intersection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTChevy, Sep 5, 2005.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status

Well, I was headed to the mechanic to get my steering column looked at and i get to the turn of an intersection and the steering wheel "tilted" right into my lap. It locked up and all I could do was just run it to the curb to get it as far out of traffic as possible. Well rolled down windows in a bad sorta part to have it parked, (power windows), all the stuff taken outa my truck (by me so far, hopefully nothing else disappears) and a 60 dollar tow truck bill later i am here writing this. I was wondering if anybody would happen to have a tilt column for sale? Im thinking mine totally crapped out. Thanks guys in advance.

P.S. I sent my membership check last tuesday, when will it get to where it needs to go?

2. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status

85 K10, if that makes a difference

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

You can fix that, just need to take the wheel off with a puller, get past that damn snap ring, and then get a few more layers deeper to tighten the 3 reverse torx bolts that hold that steering wheel you mentioned onto the truck! :haha: Its a crappy sometimes pain in the a$$ job, but it'll fix the problem you have.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a steering colum from a 84 blazer with an automatic. Not sure how well it works, some of the wires were stripped when I got mad at taking the steering wheel off.

It's free (excluding shipping) if you want it... shipping will probably kill though

5. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status

mines a manual, the only difference would be the hole where the shifter connects wouldnt it? If this column is shot i will get ahold of you 84GMC, thanks a lot. Nothing worked after the steering wheel assembly basically fell off, but the hazards still worked lol

6. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Fix what ya got. It's good practice, 'cause the thing is already busted - you can't make it any worse. And the fix is pretty simple.

7. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status

its sounding good but the picture of the breakdown of the column scared me away!