Starting Interior on my '84 K5 - Burgundy

bigschuss

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Joined 2 years ago and been lurking and learning while I finished my new barn. I used to work on K10's and K5's when I was in my 20's...haven't touched one in 30 years so I am relearning everything. My first post here....thought I'd share my interior project.

Pulled this K5 out of Oregon 2 years ago. Going to do a mostly stock interior remodel.

- Going to clean and reinstall all the molding.
- New plastic headliner with the built in speakers from LMC.
- Reupholster the front and rear seats.
- I found some really nice OEM side panels in burgundy.
- New paint on the door panels
- heavy duty power window harness from LMC
- Some kind of a new floor...correct rust issues, POR 15, insulation, sound control, a new burgundy carpet.

It's not a mud truck. My wife and kids enjoy it spring through fall...fishing, camping, back road cruising...pretty tame stuff like that.

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Blazer 1.jpg

Blazer 2.jpg Blazer 3.jpg Blazer 4.jpg Blazer 5.jpg Blazer 6.jpg Blazer 7.jpg Blazer 8.jpg

Gentleman Jimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice rig Looks like a pretty clean start to your project. I just went from burgundy to black on mine. I’d offer up some panels etc.. but most of mine were pretty worn out.
keep us posted on the progress, sounds like you’ve got a good plan.

MEMO43

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
wow
The interior is awesome
what kind of insulation are you considering
spray on ( lizard skin, raptor liner)
brush on
I used kilmat from Amazon
cheaper than Dinamat etc etc
you planning on carpet or vynil flooring.
As for seats look up suburban 3rd row seats for the back ( shoulder belts)
same for front seats.
Are you planning on keeping the hard top?
If so new seals for the back.
take lots of pics
we like pics

bigschuss

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice rig Looks like a pretty clean start to your project. I just went from burgundy to black on mine. I’d offer up some panels etc.. but most of mine were pretty worn out.
keep us posted on the progress, sounds like you’ve got a good plan.

Thanks GJ. I have most of what I need for panels. I'd love to find a set of carpeted lower door panels in burgundy. Mine had speaker holes and were ratty. I see them after market and will go with those if I have to.

bigschuss

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
wow
The interior is awesome
what kind of insulation are you considering
spray on ( lizard skin, raptor liner)
brush on
I used kilmat from Amazon
cheaper than Dinamat etc etc
you planning on carpet or vynil flooring.
As for seats look up suburban 3rd row seats for the back ( shoulder belts)
same for front seats.
Are you planning on keeping the hard top?
If so new seals for the back.
take lots of pics
we like pics

Thanks Mem043. Yes, this Blazer has minimal rust throughout. Not sure who owned it out in Oregon, but it surely was taken care of and has never seen salt.

I quite literally bought 2 boxes of that Kilmat from Amazon yesterday....based on a recommendation I saw here on a different thread. I'll use it on the entire floor, and I think I'll even have enough to add some to the backside of my rear side panels. All the factory insulation is missing on the ones I found.

Going to go with a carpet from Stock Interiors...waiting for some samples before I place the order.

Good tip on the Suburban 3rd row seats. Thanks.

And yes...going to keep the hard top and do all new seals.

Gentleman Jimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks GJ. I have most of what I need for panels. I'd love to find a set of carpeted lower door panels in burgundy. Mine had speaker holes and were ratty. I see them after market and will go with those if I have to.
I think I actually have a set. I will take a pic for you. If you think they’d work for you you can have them for shipping cost.

bigschuss

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whelp never mind. These have speaker holes in them too. Sorry

No worries at all. Thanks for taking the time to snap a few pics. My driver's side arm rest is the same exact color as yours and I assumed it was a replacement...doesn't quite match the rest of the burgundy. The passenger's side is fine. I wonder if they start out burgundy from the factory and then get darker with use?

You don't happen to have the burgundy rear seat belt restraints do you? The ones that mount to the floor? One of mine is toast.

Thanks again.

Gentleman Jimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
No I don’t have those unfortunately. I sold almost the whole interior to a guy in Jersey.
The armrest you see in the pic there used to be blue (probably why it looks darker) someone had painted it burgundy along the way.
LMC has color match vinyl paint which works pretty well if it’s prepped properly. May be a good Inexpensive option to get all your panels looking fresh and matching again.

bigschuss

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No I don’t have those unfortunately. I sold almost the whole interior to a guy in Jersey.
The armrest you see in the pic there used to be blue (probably why it looks darker) someone had painted it burgundy along the way.
LMC has color match vinyl paint which works pretty well if it’s prepped properly. May be a good Inexpensive option to get all your panels looking fresh and matching again.

Thanks again!

bigschuss

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@bigschuss did you get your carpet? If so how do you like it how is the fit? Am looking at getting new carpet myself.

Hey Wes....I just got it in a few days ago. Still working on rust and wiring issues. I was just about to post an update with some pics when I saw your post. The carpet looks nice and the burgundy color is a pretty good match to the factory carpet I had. I also bought matching lower door panels and some extra Jute padding for the rear cargo area. I bought the carpet that has what they call the Mass Backing for extra sound deadening.

Blair

IMG-2178.JPG

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good to here. I did order ACC today, same mass backing.
I haven't got my old stuff out.
Can't imagine anything worse the surface rust to contend with.
I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

bigschuss

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good to here. I did order ACC today, same mass backing.
I haven't got my old stuff out.
Can't imagine anything worse the surface rust to contend with.
I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

bigschuss

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post an update on the interior of my K5. Nothing too exciting yet...but plugging away.

I did have some success getting the adhesive off of the wheel wells. The Whizzy Wheel didn't work. In the end, I just took my time and used a heat gun and a metal scraper. The plastic ones just didn't work so I used a metal scrapper. I nicked the paint here and there so just touch up everything with some primer. Took about an hour per side.

IMG-2114.JPG IMG-2153.JPG

I then tore into the dash in preparation for a new stereo and speakers. The previous owner cut the wires running to the dome lights for some reason? And the wires to the under dash courtesy light were severed. So, I've got some trouble shooting to do there.

IMG-2118.JPG IMG-2120.JPG IMG-2124.JPG IMG-2122.JPG

I need to replace the courtesy light switches while I'm at it. My '84 isn't suppose to have this style of switch...so not sure what's up with that.

IMG-2123.JPG

bigschuss

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Removed the glove box to swap out the latch and found no options list. Kind of a bummer. Bought a radio patch panel and getting that ready to weld in. And I installed a set heavy duty power windows relays from LMC. Made a huge difference.

IMG-2115.JPG
IMG-2125.JPG IMG-2117.JPG IMG-2180.JPG

Found a set of factory tow hooks on Facebook for $20...got them primed and painted and installed. Wasn't sure if the hooks face in or out? I mounted them facing in.

That's about all for now.

IMG-2168.JPG IMG-2187.JPG

Top Bottom