CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

TBI problems after changing injectors

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Depends on the harness, some years it’s brown with a black trace, some years gray w/ black trace IIRC

unplug
Start
Set timing
Shut off
Reconnect

bp71k5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep saw that on some you Tube videos, there was an insert with the dizzy that talked about 6 degrees for 88 - 91 firebird, but I did some research before I trusted it.

So can I unplug the small connecter at the dizzy or do I have to be able to just disconnect the one wire in that connector? The brown wire goes directly into a wire loom, I haven't looked yet to see if there is something under the dash with a disconnect for it. It's a Howell harness with the computer. Time to hunt my wiring diagrams.
The stock tbi has a connector kinda close to the distributor. I’d think Howell did the same thing.

70jimmy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
Eagle Mark is still helping people from Heaven.

Interesting the vid I watched showed it on the 2 prong connector, but those diagrams, my manuals, and my manual from Howell all show it in the 4 prong connector. I will have to look at it again tomorrow in the daylight.

texted a former co-worker to borrow a timing light so he will drop it off tomorrow.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
you have RAM horn exhaust manifolds on a tbi motor? Ram horn spark plug wires are much longer then log type manifold wires. Ram horn wires path between the heads and firewall, come up from below to spark plugs. The front wires are clipped to block near exhaust pipe. I haven't looked for ram horn wires in while I'm sure there out there.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not like asking my wife to help me with my truck. Any time I ask her to help me with my truck she just starts whining, and saying things like "How long is this going to take?", or "I'm busy can't we do this later". I just gave up and don't bother asking anymore.
That's my wife.
Even on her car.

70jimmy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
Ok found the right wire that had a disconnect plug under the hood, set timing, road test runs good and smooth, still not great for power but normal for TBI. I am gonna drive it back and forth to work a few times to road test it more, time to start cleaning, organizing, and packing, along with bolt and nut check normal checkover stuff.

Top Bottom