CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Terry's Quad Thread

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking at some used 4 wheelers. The Blonde asked if we could take her little Raptor 90 riding some time and I decided to buy one for me to ride since a lot of the local trails either allow trucks or ATVs, but rarely both.

I'm going to look at a 05 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 tomorrow with less than 700 miles on it. Comes with a Warn winch and snow plow. Asking $3800. I don't think that's horrible with the accessories and being an adult owned bike.

But I'm really not familiar with ATV pricing or values so I thought I would ask and see what you guys thought. I am willing to pay a little more to get one that's not a project though and this one seems pretty nice from the pictures.

eric67camino

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Might be a little steep, but doesn't sound terrible. I'm not familiar with the Eiger, but I have an 05 King Quad 700 that I've not had any issues with.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got it for $3400. Needs a wash but seems to be in good shape. No signs of water in the air box, only 667 miles showing on the odo.

Came with a Warn 2500lb winch and 48" snow plow with the manual and a bunch of paper work. I'm pretty pleased with it so far. That 400 is pretty stout compared to the 325 I had YEARS ago. And the H/L ranges are nice too. Good hold back on the dude's nearly vertical driveway.

20210228_094652.jpg

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last night I was cleaning it up some and going over it with the manual to learn about it some and I found the main wiring harness burnt up. I messaged the guy I got it from and he said bring it back and he'd give me my money back or he'd make it right somehow.

I pulled the front end off and the damage is just limited to the front of the harness and no big parts damaged. We talked it over a bit and he sent me $400 to cover a new harness (New OE is $198) and my time fixing it. Shouldn't be a big deal. The bike ran great and everything worked, but some wires were bare and all I need is for it to short out on the trail somewhere. I probably would have just soldered them back together but it was all right against the plugs and I didn't think I could fix it that way and it be dependable.

I also ordered a factory tool kit and some misc fasteners it was missing.

I think I'm gonna tear down the winch while the push bar is off and give it a good cleaning and lubrication.

The kids put about 2 miles on it yesterday riding laps around the yard. The yard is a muddy mess now but that's fine, grass grows back.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
And here we are now....

20210301_184358.jpg

The quad is in pretty darn good shape. I've gotta make a little repair to a bracket where the snow plow bolts on and then plug the holes and pressure wash it. All the spare fuses are still in their holders!

I'll probably change the fluids and check the brakes while I wait on the other parts to get here. But I think this is going to make a pretty nice old quad. The snow plow needs a little repair to the frame as well and a new wear plate.

I'm looking forward to getting it back together and playing with it!

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
The oldest daughter came out to the shop last night to hang out so I set her to tearing apart the winch. She got it taken apart and I'm hoping to get it cleaned up tonight. Everything looks great in it, but I'm going to replace the drum bushings and lube it while it's apart.

I ordered a tube of the recommended Aeroshell 64 grease for it. That stuff ain't cheap but if it's what Warn says to use, so be it.

Looks like I'm going to lose about 2' of cable because of some wear in it. Gonna have to find a way to swage the cable back after I cut it off.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Drywall guy isn't done yet so I spent the evening in the shop working on this again.

I changed the oil in the front and rear diff. I'll run this for a bit to flush them both out and change it. What came out looked really good though.

All the skids are off now so the next warm day we get, I'll get it all outside and pressure wash it all really good.

I replaced the fuel line and the vacuum line for the petcock. The vacuum line showed a little burnt spot on it and since these things shouldn't be run without that, I figured it was a good idea to tackle that while I was there.

So far it's coming along pretty good.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
The 80W90 I put in last night looked awful and brown and I couldn't deal with knowing that I put something in there that looked worse than what came out so today I swapped it for some fresh Valvoline 75w90 synthetic. It's on sale at NAPA if anyone needs any BTW.

I also replaced the fan vent tubing and did some documentation everything I've done. I wanted to get the brake fluid changed as well but had a bunch of errands to run for sick wife/kids and that ate up a lot of my evening.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of my parts started showing up today. A bunch of little fasteners and small parts in this order.

My middle daughter came out and we changed the brake fluid and checked the front brake pads. Then we put on a new front hub cap and changed the engine oil.

I also sat down and started separating the bolts into labeled baggies so I don't forget where they go.

If we get a warm day this weekend, I'll try to drag it outside and pressure wash it and the plastics really well. Then it should be ready to reassemble as soon as the harness arrives.

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have a Eiger 400 I really like it. We bought it new in 2005 we use it almost every day. It has 4,959 kilometres on it.

76F8F5B9-7A14-446A-8C1D-5C96532630E1.jpeg

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Eiger 400 I really like it. We bought it new in 2005 we use it almost every day. It has 4,959 kilometres on it.

View attachment 370649
Nice! These seem to be long lived bikes. I've seen some Zooks with 10k miles on them! I don't know that this one will get a ton of use from day to day but I'm getting excited to get it rolling again.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not much done on it today. I had to change oil in the wife's car and half a lot of scrap metal to recycling.

We did wash the fenders. Tomorrow I'll put together the new pressure washer and hit the rest of the bike and body parts. Then I need to oil the air filter and just check the spark plug gap. Then I'm gonna have to find something else to work on till my harness arrives.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Went to clean the air filter the other day and it disintegrated. So I put in another order and got a couple other pieces I had in my cart that weren't musts like a replacement power port and a couple other little things.

Everything but the harness and tool kit has shipped. Just biding my time till then.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
We've had a pressure washer for a couple months sitting in a box in the basement. Bought it from TSC on a black Friday sale.

I got it ready to run last night and this evening I pressure washed the Zook. It's pretty clean, but not perfect. It'll do for a working bike and it got the frame clean where I need to weld a tab back on for the snow plow mount.

More parts ordered. Waiting....

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got a notification my wiring harness shipped today. So hopefully it'll be running again next week some time.

Morgan helped me install a receiver hitch on it this evening to make it easier to move the trailers with it and swap in a recovery shackle.

Hopefully get the winch back together this weekend and get the tab welded on the frame for the snow plow mount. That shouldn't take long to fab. Then get the skids and plow mount back on and ready to put together one the harness is in.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've added another to the herd so I thought a title change was in order.

We now have the 2003 Raptor 80 we've had for years, the 2005 Eiger I just got back together and now this 1995 Bayou 220 the kids are torture testing.

IMG_20210321_192924_629.jpg

centexk5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't wait until my kids are old enough for these toys. I always had a blast ripping around on the four wheeler growing up.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sat down with the manual and figured out I had a ground wire disconnected from the battery. Hooked it up and now the starter solenoid works again.

Pulled the starter and it's got a wire broken on a brush. Brush is $20 + shipping. Whole new starter and starter solenoid is $38 on eBay. Pretty easy choice...

Top Bottom