Terry's Quad Thread

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got a bunch of parts in today. Blondie put her crank and cam cover seals on the Bayou.
20210327_110723.jpg

Morgan put the new air filter in the Raptor and I put the new inlet tube on the Zook.

Still waiting on the king pins and starter for the Bayou.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well the Bayou started running like crap today. Backfiring and stuttering at anything above an idle. Cleaned the carb really good and no change. Plug is bright white, which I know means lean, but opening the choke doesn't make it any better.

Gonna check float height and check the fuel flow from the tank tomorrow. They both seemed good today but I'll check again.

I also pulled the cam cover, the timing marks are still lined up, but I've heard to partially shearing the crank key causing issues too and I need to pull that side of the engine off to diagnose an issue with the starter anyways.

Any suggestions on other things to check would be great. It starts easy and idles fine. Just started popping and carrying on out of the blue today.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spent most of the day on the Bayou. Checked the timing marks again, adjusted the valves, pulled the side cover and checked for a sheared woodruff key on the flywheel and did a compression test.

Everything checked out fine there.

Ohmed the coil and ignition module and they were both out of spec. Ordered a couple eBay parts as the factory coil isn't available and the module is $320!

Also figured out the starter limiting clutch is why the starter won't turn the engine over so I ordered one of those too.

While it's apart, I pressure washed it and started straightening the racks where it looks like this bike has been rolled over before.

It's gonna be a pretty nice bike when we're done.

20210405_121945.jpg

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
We tinkered with the Bayou some yesterday. Blondie asked if any parts were coming for it and I told here there were some at the post office. She perked right up and after I got the brakes finished on the Xterra, the test drive was us going to get her 4wheeler parts. :D

She installed the new ignition coil and then we pushed it outside so she could brush and paint the rusty spots on the frame. The first coat was just about dry and a rain storm forced us to clean it up for the evening.

A bunch more parts should be here Monday, so hopefully we can make some more progress next week.

Top Bottom