TH-350 slipping in first...mostly......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vandelay industries, Dec 24, 2019.

1. TJ1978

TJ1978 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That pan looks really bad...damn Ive never had one like that. All that gunk is flowing in your transmission... brake clean until it’s clean, or you’ll probably going to need a rebuild or refurbished transmission. If you cant find local @Greg Ducato has a shop

2. vandelay industries

vandelay industries 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i know. Trans and i are hosed.

At least, the trans is fairly straightforward to get out and in. After you do it a few times, it's not that bad. i just need to undo the cooler lines, support the engine and it's out.

Will discuss much more tomorrow or next week. Have to go to sleep.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    This is less than a year old rebuild so that is really bad

4. TJ1978

How can it get that bad that fast? Thats crazy

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Build(s):
    Judging by all the metal in the pan and filter, something's been wearing down and the metal particles have probably taken out the clutch material. It's possible somebody forgot a thrust washer or some other assembly error that let two pieces of metal ride against each other. Amazing that the valve body would still work - but maybe it wasn't and that was part of the slipping issue. I mean, did it slip because the clutch material was gone or was the clutch material gone because it was driven while slipping? Only a teardown will yield more information.

TJ1978 likes this.
  6. Greg Ducato

Greg Ducato 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree that this trans is probably done, what concerns me is the tinge of the fluid that makes me wonder if there hasn't been some coolant leaking into the trans. That will need to be addressed before any rebuilt or replacement trans is installed. In fact, given the amount of metal and debris I would recommend total cooler replacement.

TJ1978 and frankin5 like this.
  7. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    I was going to say something about the color and lack of transparency.
    It might be what killed it.

sweetk30 likes this.
  8. sweetk30

sweetk30 5/8 ton status . . . just for BENT77 Premium Member

Build(s):
    x3 i knew there was something funky about the fluid just couldnt place it .

9. TJ1978

You’ll need to replace the cooler if its separate or the entire radiator.

Was the coolant the culprit in the destruction of this transmission? More specifically the radiator/cooler leak destroyed the transmission

C9367AF8-27E7-4543-BF2E-221FA90D56FA.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  10. vandelay industries

[Note: I can’t really type that much because I’m on my phone and don’t have access to a real computer; Had to move back into the “mental hospital,” (house with 3 women. I may or may not explain later...) because this house is much closer to work since I don’t have transportation at the moment.]

Anyways, it’s funny, and I’m glad Greg&co are mentioning coolant; I was thinking about this the past few days. I don’t know if I mentioned it here, but I did have to replace my radiator just this past July——-because it was leaking. At the time, i didn’t know where/how it was leaking. (I think I know now.....)

Will discuss much more in-depth probably this weekend.

11. vandelay industries

Just a heads up to Greg: i'm having difficulty accessing your website. Maybe it's just my computer (don't think so though because same thing happens on my phone) or maybe something funny is going on. When i try to click on your links it goes to one of those "50 millionth award" sites.

ATI is backed up 4-6 weeks for rebuilds. i need it now. If the price is right and it's in stock(need the 9" tailshaft), then i might want to pull the trigger with you. i'll still do business with ATI, but maybe just for race stuff.

Other updates:
    i pressure tested the trans cooler on the old radiator and it was not leaking.

12. Greg Ducato

Greg Ducato 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I will have my IT guy check the site, we are not having problems from this end but I have heard from someone else there is an issue. I don't stock any transmissions, everything we do is custom built and we are about 3-4 weeks out right now

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 5/8 ton status . . . just for BENT77 Premium Member

Build(s):
    i just called him and he said another guy said the same thing . he is letting his I.T. guy know to work on it .

@vandelay industries

and his shop phone is 817-599-7680 if you want to talk to him and he is the guy answering 98% of the time also .

TJ1978 likes this.
  14. TJ1978

The only way you’ll get one this week, if you can, is if you order from summit or jegs. Even then, the weight of transmissions means it will be shipped by truck and youll need a forklift. Th350 is like 134ish pounds.

15. vandelay industries

Well, most freight companies have liftgate trucks. That's how i got my engine. But jegs+summit may not work as i need the 9" tailshaft. TCI, which jgs+sumt both have in stock for immediate shipping has a 9" available but they've been getting lots of bad reviews lately, so i'm a little leery about going with TCI.

16. TJ1978

Well, either have local rebuild or go with @Greg Ducato
    If I hadnt found a local guy I would be going with Greg. I hope this decision doesnt bite me in the a$&

Tci, jegs and summit the dowside if you have issues, good luck with warranty stuff. Pulling amd shipping back to them. There is monster(be careful) and gearstar as well if youre in a hurry

Or run a local used offer up working tranny while you wait for the rebuilt one.... If you rush things usually go wrong... at least for me. I see used “working” TH350’s for $100 or slighlty more out here in AZ pretty frequently

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020 at 4:46 PM
  17. vandelay industries

UPDATE:

It's out and at ATI. They are looking at it right now. i figured this was the fastest way. If it doesn't work out this time (i have hunch it will work out), then i'm switching to Phoenix.

i also asked them to look at my converter pullout. Now, this is something i didn't even know existed until a few days ago, when i saw a video concerning this on their website. i always thought that if you have the 3 "clunks" and couldn't fit your finger in-between the converter and front of the trans you were good.

[​IMG]

They said it was a little too much, but not enough to cause trans damage.

i think if i have one more major problem, i'll likely switch to a newer truck.
    My skill/knowledge set isn't quite there yet. My garage and tool situation is also not quite ideal yet. These 3 factors may not make it the best move to try to use a "hot rod" as a daily commuter. Not saying it can't be done---after all, i did it for the past three years somewhat "successfully." But this problem has been going on since Christmas. So, that's about a month with no car. i can survive (apparently...) by using rideshare (convenient and not as expensive as you might think vs. owning a car) or walking/biking or bumming cars. But it's not the way i want to live.

i can still have project cars on the side and still be learning. If the newer car breaks, which is very unlikely, i can just bring it to the dealer----fast and easy. If a project car breaks, who cares? i can still get to work.

i'm looking at colorado crew cab w/ 5.3 LS, so 2009-2012
    Or used, but recent tahoe.

18. vandelay industries

P.S.
    i still have not pressure tested the trans cooler in the current radiator that is in the truck now, but will probably do so tomorrow. So, there's always that possibility, though i doubt it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020 at 7:15 PM
  19. vandelay industries

P.P.S.
    i am going have to move back into the "mental hospital" until the trans is done.(Long story. May or may not explain in The Lounge section. Those 3 are jacked up; For example, they pee with door open!)

20. TJ1978

I have my two daily’s for the wife and I, my Blazer is not it... if you daily these vehicles you will need to work on them... offer up, craigslist your tools.

Amazon or harbor freight have all you need tool wise if you want them new. You dont need a professional tool set up. Anyway good luck.