Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Camper Thread

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by GWeakland620, Apr 3, 2017.

1. GWeakland620

GWeakland620 THE CK5 Crayon Eater Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My goals with this thread is to have a common place to post stuff about campers. And I'm talking all types of campers: Pop-ups, slide-ins, bumper pull, 5th wheel, and even RV's. Maintenance, do's and don't's, good product lines for camper items, and schtuffs like that.

Smokinthehippies likes this.
  2. GWeakland620

I'll start by just posting up my 2000 Palomino 1500 slide-in camper. Bought it last year for $2500.

The list of immediate repairs is fairly small.
    -Leak at the base of the faucet.
    -Can't seem to get the fridge to cool down.

I'm also interested to hear ideas on treating my canvas material. It curls up pretty bad on the sides when it's raised, and that may cause some water issues if it rains while in use. Do they make some kind of conditioner that helps soften the material back up?

Anyways. Here's some pictures.

IMG_2404.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG

bmxbryant9 likes this.
  3. JoshHefnerX

JoshHefnerX 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is that material on the side? Nylon or some kind of canvas?

4. GWeakland620

Yeah pretty much. Some quick searching online shows that they make a conditioner/treatment. But I'm not sure if that's what I need.

You can kind of see the curling on the side in this picture. I also need to repair the front 2 corners of fabric, as they have ripped.

IMG_2334 (2).JPG

bmxbryant9 likes this.
  5. GWeakland620

So I talked to a local RV dealer here, and he said they make a conditioner for vinyl/canvas material that they use to "rejuvenate" trade-ins and soften up the material. He didn't know the name brand as it was in a 55 gallon drum. To google I go...

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A few friends that bought used campers had trouble getting the fridge to cool down too,they would run,but not cool..

A guy at a local RV shop said to remove the fridge,invert it upside down for a day or so,then flip it back up "normal" and plug it in--and it worked!..I guess the freon migrates to some point in the plumbing where it wont circulate or something after sitting idle a long time,and flipping it over lets it go back where it belongs...maybe give that a shot ?

campfire likes this.
  7. GWeakland620

As crazy as that sounds, I believe it. My buddy said every thing looked fine with the fridge, and had said he heard the same thing of flipping it over. I may just have to try it!

8. Bowtie85

Bowtie85 Straight outta Yorkton Premium Member

Well I was gonna start a thread. But it's seems kinda fitting here.

Wonder how a truck with front 52's would handle hauling a truck camper?

9. GWeakland620

I wondered the same thing, and maybe reusing the front sway bar it would be ok. But knowing my truck would be on road/hauling more than anything, I stuck with factory front springs.

10. Bowtie85

Bowtie85 Straight outta Yorkton Premium Member

I was planning on stuffing 52s under the k10 when I swap axnels, but the wife wants to stick a truck camper in it. I'm just not sure now.

I chucked my sway bar in the bush though :doah::haha:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    GWeakland620 likes this.
  11. GWeakland620

Yeah I did the same thing, but with some airbags in the rear to act like a rear sway bar, this thing would be very stable. As it sits with no swaybar, I feel very comfortable driving it. So I would only imagine the bags would make it that much better.

Bowtie85 likes this.
  12. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Ya know Greg...I knew you wanted a camper thread, but I never thought to look in the tow-rig section... :dunno:

Am I correct in understanding that the upper cabinet comes down toward the stove when the top comes down?

[​IMG]

If so, what happens with the microwave & toaster? I assume there is a pack/unpack routine in play here? :thinking:

GWeakland620 likes this.
  13. udy2554

udy2554 1/2 ton status Premium Member

2012 Jayco Baja 10G! 31 gal fresh water, 6 gal gas HWT, 3-way fridge, gas furnace, 11 gal grey water, 6 gal cassette toilet, and, 102" deck! My Polaris 500 fits with Honda generator and 20 gal. of 5 gal containers! IMG_0733.JPG IMG_2982.JPG IMG_3102.JPG IMG_3317.JPG IMG_3617.JPG IMG_3618.JPG IMG_3619.JPG IMG_3620.JPG IMG_3621.JPG IMG_3622.JPG IMG_3623.JPG IMG_3624.JPG

Tow vehicle: '06 Tacoma(sorry y'all, I DO miss my K5!)! ARBs and 4.10s, OME rears, Icon ext travel COs and Light Racing UCAs up front! ARB bumper and 9500lb winch up front, BruteForceFab rear bumper! Dual batteries, OBA...190,000miles on her! All is well! IMG_1469.JPG

bmxbryant9 and campfire like this.
  14. GWeakland620

Yes, a small pack/unpack routine. The toaster and coffee pot are fine. TV and microwave have to come down.
    Nice setup!!!

bmxbryant9 and udy2554 like this.
  15. GWeakland620

How about this thread @mrk5, can you move it to the Garage?

16. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

LOVE IT!! I've wanted a slide in pop up for years but never set aside money for one.

How does towing work with a slide in that overhangs the bumper (like the quoted pic)? I've seen long hitch extenders but that just doesn't seem strong enough for a heavy trailer (I'm guessing my K5 + trailer would be 9k-ish).

I'm curious, can you air condition a pop up? My boss is big in to campers and he swears no because of the canvas but regular bumper pull pop ups have a/c options don't they?

GWeakland620 likes this.
  17. GWeakland620

The camper is a couple inches shorter (length wise) than the tailgate. So I just tow it like normal. I don't have a picture of it hooked up, but everything is above the deck of the trailer so turning radius is the same. With the weight of the camper in the bed, it stops any bucking motion from tongue weight which is nice. Helps the ride a lot.

I haven't had a chance to run the AC yet, but the previous owner said the AC did a great job cooling it down in the summer. They said a hot muggy day in Arkansas was nothing for the AC to keep up with. I know it held the heat in just fine when we went camping last November. It was 27* that night, and we weren't even remotely cold.

nvrenuf likes this.
  18. nostomofo

nostomofo 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Post up if the upside down fridge trick works. My 73 Vega slide in has the same issues. From what I've read, when the ammonia sits for a while, sediment of some sort builds up the the tubes and stops the cooling process. I would rather not buy a new fridge.

GWeakland620 likes this.
  19. The Griff

The Griff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's been too long since we had a decent camper.

The first one I can remember us having was a neat little Toyota cab and chassis with a big camper on the back, it was a nice little thing, but really didn't have enough power to haul itself around.
    (Representative picture)
    [​IMG]

Next was a 1977 Winnebago Elandan II. It was in super good shape, but it had a big block Dodge that loved gas. It took us to southern Alabama twice, but it just got too expensive to feed. Fun Fact, it had squarebody Chevy truck taillights.
    (Representative picture)
    [​IMG]

After that we got a slide in, I forget what the model was, but it was a slide in, pop-up that was short enough to fit inside a long bed with the tailgate up. It went on one trip around Lake Superior in the back of the Cummins, We've got pictures from that trip somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.
    It wasn't too bad, but it was getting some serious water damage around the soft sides.
    (Roughly Representative picture)
    [​IMG]

Next we went to New York and bought a 1964 8 ft Alaskan slide in, pop up camper. Over the next year my Dad completely restored it, new sheetmetal, almost totally new insides, new wiring, Basically a whole new camper, that looked like it was from 1964. This one went on three trips to Canada, Twice more in the Cummins, and once in the green 7.3 Ford, flat towing a YJ wrangler behind it. I've still got this camper, but nothing to put it in, as the silver Dodge is a short bed half ton, and the Cummins has a flatbed on it now.
    (Representative pictures)
    [​IMG]

Next we tried a trailer, My dad bought a really nice 1987 28 ft Shasta, It was really, really nice inside and out, It looked almost new. We took it on it's first trip down to our old house in Tennessee to check on the property and pick up a few things. About 1/3 of the way down there, the bodywork started to split right at the door, we pulled over and ended up duct taping it back together, and apparently that was solid enough for it to make the rest of the trip down there and back. When we got back we found out the bodywork was actually coming off the frame. We then sold it to our neighbor who used it while he was building his new house.
    (Representative picture)
    [​IMG]

Last one we bought was a 1975 28 FT Argosy, which is essentially a painted aluminum Airstream. My dad went to south Georgia to pick this one up. His plans were to restore it like he did the Alaskan, but he passed away before he could really get started on it. I've still got it, but it still sits exactly as he left it, No carpet in the front, with new floors layed, the kitchen halfway tore apart and the bathroom pulled out. I haven't even moved any tools really from inside it yet.
    (Representative picture)
    [​IMG]

The one thing my Dad always wanted to find was a Blazer Chalet, But we never did find one. We did see one for sale locally once, but when we finally got ahold the guy selling it, he had already sold it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    bmxbryant9 and GWeakland620 like this.
  20. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

How long has he been gone?