CK5
Register an account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

The Shop Truck

1971 Chevy C20 with a custom flat bed.
Lokar says to check it by putting in the correct amount of fluid in and verifying it reads correctly. This was a custom setup that already had fluid in it along with a trans cooler. I had no way of knowing how much fluid was required.
They don't need to add that step, that's a cya step to put the blame on the customer when it's wrong. They should be calibrating the dipsticks to read full at 1/4-1/8" above the gasket surface which doesn't require installation.
 
The parts showed up today, I'm totally blown away that Gearstar sent me $1000+ worth of parts for free because a dipstick I didn't even buy from them wasn't calibrated correctly.
IMG_20261004_151106788_HDR.jpg
 
The transmission is going back together, slowly! Last week I modified everything that needed clearanced for the new driveshaft.
Widened driveshaft loop.
IMG_20261005_173915516_HDR.jpg

Widened carrier bearing crossmember cutout, including a removable bottom section to simplify driveshaft installation, I don't think I could have installed it the way I did with the smaller shaft. I also had to cut the mounting plate for the air tank, install spacers under the two sides and raise the middle section.
IMG_20261005_174206980.jpg

Transmission guts being reassembled after cleanup and replacing seals.
IMG_20261005_173929494.jpg

I had to order some 45° feeler gages so I can measure clearance on the clutch packs, as well as a seal installer/shrinker for the seals that go on the shaft that I'm replacing. I'm hoping to be reinstalling the transmission by Wednesday. I'll still need to do some wiring for the new sensor block and trans brake, but the truck will be drivable without that and it will be easier to do that with it off the lift.
Duct Tape Drags starts Friday the 16th and we also just signed up for a new "Drag and Drive" that's at Tucson Dragway on November 27/28.
Sick also announced that they're doing Sick in the Desert next year together with Radford Racing School (Firebird Motorsports Park). This one is supposed to be Drag and Drive, Drift and Drive, Track and Drive as well as Offroad and Drive. They're branching out... I know Firebird has tracks for all of that, but I'm not sure who else does, maybe we won't all be going to the same places?
 
Top Bottom