VSS on a 78 K5? Part time conversion on Full time 4wd

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GM Jim, Sep 8, 2017.

1. GM Jim

GM Jim GM Jim Premium Member

Everyone on the site was so helpful on recommending I have a heavy Equipment shop help with my driveshaft figured I'd try a couple more questions. Anyone have any idea what the sensor pictured and magnet zip tied to the drive shaft does? Also, my truck has been converted to manual locking hubs with a conversion in the transfer case. I was told that I should drive a few miles/week in 4wd with the hubs locked. Is this accurate Thanks Trigger1.JPG

2. 1977k5

1977k5 1 ton status Vendor

Any chance this truck has a newer (i.e. '90 or so or newer) motor/trans in it? Or an aftermarket speedometer?

3. TreeFarm

TreeFarm Registered Member Premium Member

Build(s):
    My 1980 k25 had one of those too, looked exactly the same. No idea what it was for and the wires weren't hooked up.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Aftermarket cruise controls used that kind of sensor,or a similar one,some speedometers too..

GM Jim likes this.
  5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was going to say, whats the brackety looking thing at the top of the pic, and is that wiring running to something bolted to it?

Agree, probably aftermarket cruise control. Which I've found are excellent for being ripped off with very minimal off-road.

GM Jim likes this.
  6. GM Jim

GM Jim GM Jim Premium Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. It must be the aftermarket cruise. Still works so i guess I'll leave it all hooked up