what color RTV for gaskets... which ones dont eat up the metal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 22, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

what color RTV for gaskets... which ones dont eat up the metal

I have a brush on gasket maker from John Deere I use when I have a gasket of some type. I'm thinking for the diff covers laying a bead around the bolt holes and then a wide bead between the holes and letting it setup over night before installing. Anyone done this? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I am starting to use the Ultra-black stuff. Really just ran out of the regular gasketmaker tube sometime last year. Havent had anything eating up metal /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif .... have been using it to seal my oilpans and valve covers with no ill effects on the engines or ECM/sensor mumbo-jumbo.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Use blue RTV on diff covers. Make a circle around all the bolt holes and then connect them like you said. But, only let the blue RTV set up for around 10-15 minutes...definitely not over night.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i used to like the blue, but after i took my hubs off and the PO used it instead of an oring and it ate up the metal, i don't use it very much anymore

im starting to like the black stuff though.

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Check out Permatex Good Stuff, it works really good.

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

You mean The Right Stuff?? yeah that is the shiznit.

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You mean The Right Stuff?? yeah that is the shiznit.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

I've been told the black stuff is the most resistant to oil.
    (seal failure due to oil contact/ dirty surface when making seal, or general breakdown over time).

could someone please explain the blue rtv breaking down metal???? it's just silicone based right??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. jjlaughner

yeah but the silicon contains salt or acids and it pits the sealing surface. I usually use red for everything mainly because thats usually what I have. Never really had any problems with it either. I just couldn't remember which was which. Looks like the blue stuff is the one I want to avoid. I think I have a black RTV and some red left if its not dried up.

What about the copper RTV is that for mainly intakes or hot areas?

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have started using Ultra Grey. Seems to work well. I usually use Ultra Black for Diff covers, Ultra copper for everything else. Blue I use mostly for water pumps, tstats, etc.

I used Ultra Grey for my tcase reseal because Ultra copper got eaten by ATF.

Harley

11. jjlaughner

went to the the permatex site...

[ QUOTE ]
    Permatex® the Right Stuff® Gasket Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Return equipment to service immediately when you make leakproof gaskets in just one minute with the Right Stuff.® This latest elastomeric rubber gasket technology is blowout resistant and outperforms pre-cut gaskets. Specified on production lines by GM, Ford, Daimler-Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz. Temperature range -75°F to 450°F; (-60°C to 232°C) continuous, 500°F (260°C) intermittent; resists ATF, coolant, oil and other shop fluids. Protects against leaks caused by vibration and thermal expansion. Sensor-safe.

Suggested Applications:
    Automotive and marine gaskets, valve covers, gearbox covers, pumps, compressors, oil pans, thermostat housings, water pumps

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    PERMATEX® ULTRA BLACK® Gasket Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For dealership warranty requirements, insures extended drivetrain warranties compliance. Fast-curing formula. Sensor-safe, low odor, non-corrosive. Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets. Retains high flexibility, oil resistance properties through use of a patented adhesion system. Temperature range -75°F to 625°F intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration. Also available in AUTOMATIC TUBE® dispenser.

Suggested Applications:
    Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, transmission pans

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    PERMATEX® ULTRA GREY® Gasket Maker

Designed for high torque applications (predominantly Japanese designs) requiring a unique RTV gasket. Exceeds manufacturers’ performance requirements. Low odor, non-corrosive. Outstanding oil resistance. Guaranteed not to leak. Temperature range -75°F to 625°F intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications:
    Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

For 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temperature RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, non-corrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -75°F to 700°F intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications:
    Exhaust manifolds/headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    PERMATEX® Sensor Safe Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

The original Blue. Will not foul oxygen sensors. Replaces almost any cut gasket. Makes reliable "formed-in-place" gaskets that resist cracking, shrinking and migrating. Coats pre-cut gaskets to increase reliability. Temperature range -65°F to 500°F intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids. First generation 1970-1980 gasket maker. Also available in AUTOMATIC TUBE® dispenser.

Suggested Applications:
    Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    PERMATEX® ULTRA BLUE® No Leak RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

PERMATEX® Ultra silicones were developed to meet today’s technology changes. Sensor-safe, low odor, non-corrosive. Outstanding oil resistance and joint movement values. Eight times more flexible than cork/composite gaskets; three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones. Temper-ature range -75°F to 500°F intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications:
    Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, transmission pans, differential covers

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif none of these say avoid such and such metals
    Doesn't even list the red type

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    [ QUOTE ]
    I used Ultra Grey for my tcase reseal because Ultra copper got eaten by ATF

[/ QUOTE ]

HMMMM /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I've been using ultra copper on everything for about a year now including my tranny pan and t-case adaptor. Haven't had any issues yet /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I noticed the regular blue stuff doesnt say "non corrossive"in the listing --while the others did,this leads me to beleive the"non corrosive" ones wont eat the metal.I know of one person who used the regular blue silicone to seal his leaky windsheild a few years ago--now you can put your hand in the holes in the cab where he sealed it!. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifI guess the vinegar they warn you about on the package makes a good acid that will eat the metal after time--probably not much of an issue if its drowned in oil all the time,like a valve cover though. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif