CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

What is this part for?

scoutillac

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the heck this part is for? If it was still wired in the 90 Blazer it would be mounted behind the stereo area I believe. The engine starts and runs with it plugged in and the other plug empty. Could this be for the stereo? Someonereplied earlier and thought it was an ignition part, but then deleted their post. HELP! I don't want any excess crap wiring If I don't need it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Can Can

Pusher Man
Reaction score
It looks a lot like an ESC(Electronic Spark Control) module. Although seeing that your rig is a 90 it might be something else.....

On my 84 the ESC automatically retards the timing when the knock sensor detects pinging.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
It's the DRAC. Don't toss it, you can't get them anymore and they can be modded for any tire size/ratio apparently.

Anyways, it's essentially the same thing as VSS. Necessary for TBI to run correctly.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Probably something like Digital Ratio XXXX Converter.

It tells the ECM how fast the vehicle is moving, and also controls the electronic speedometer. (Also a worthwhile swap IMO)

scoutillac

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Can I get an after market speedo to work with this component? After all the complete harnes and running gear is in a 63 scout. There is no room to mount the original dash pod. I wonder if there is a harness to go from the factory plug to after market guages.
P.S. Thanks for you help. I have some understanding of what the hell is going on now. The GM parts counter couldn't even cross reference the part #.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Check out the VSS chapter over at www.jagsthatrun.com

I would bet the connector that is missing in your picture *probably* went to the speedometer, or ECM, and what is on there is one or the other.

Should be speedo's made to work with it, GM used the DRAC from about 1990 to 1993 or maybe even later, some people must have wanted an aftermarket speedo! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

skelly1

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
So, how does one go about calibrating this thing for bigger tires? Where does it reside in the vehicle? I've never seen it before in mine.

frankin5

Super Mall Crawler
Premium Member
Reaction score
drac= Digital Ratio Adapter Controller /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Top Bottom