Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Years of donor vehicle for TBI conversion

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by ramack, Sep 25, 2016.

1. ramack

ramack 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am in the very beginning stages of doing a carb 2 TBI conversion on my '79 350 manual K5. I'm not clear what model years I can use for a donor vehicle. From the web and different forums I have 3 different model year ranges that can be used for this swap:
    87-91
    87-93
    87-95
    Obviously, the first at a minimum, but the last would be good as there isn't much left in salvage yards, so four more model years helps in selection and availability.

Anything special need to be done in allowing for a manual trans? Most donors are auto trans.

Thanks.

2. bent72

bent72 Desert Solitaire Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    87-89 is my first choice, then up through 91.

7747 computers are the easiest to tune, most flexible to adaption
    A TH400 model will not use a torque converter lock up, so using it in a standard is no issue

Read lots in the injection section
    Also there is a recent thread there with @az_762_nato doing a swap

ramack and az_762_nato like this.
  3. az_762_nato

az_762_nato Dysfunctional Veteran Premium Member

Build(s):
    I just did mine on my 73 last week. I grabbed a harness and 1227747 ECM from an 89 burb, ordered a new distributor for an 87 k5, throttle body from a 95 truck, and the tps connector from the 95. All the rest of the new sensors except tps were ordered for an 87, the tps was ordered for a 95. Don't forget to grab things like fuel pump fuse holder, fuel pump relay, and speedo with vss buffer (my speedo is 91 burb)

ramack and bent72 like this.
  4. ramack

ramack 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks guys!

bent72 likes this.
  5. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The square body donors are the easiest to convert over, but anything will work. Even the 93-up auto trans setups work fine, just make sure the donor is a 350 and grab as much as possible. Distributor, throttle body, diagnostic connector, ESC module, knock sensor, coolant temp sensor, fuel pump relay etc.
    A vehicle speed sensor is handy but not necessary. An in-tank pump is a good idea and will save a lot problems especially if you get in the higher (7,000 ft.) elevations.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you go with the later ones, you end up having problems with the ECM's due to the "E" trans, no?

7. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They will set codes but it won't effect any of the fueling or spark functions, it is also easy to delete the codes when burning a new chip if a person wants the check engine light to function properly. I actually prefer the later PCMs over the earlier 7747 style ECMs, since they have a lot better/bigger fuel (VE) maps, faster data speeds for a lot better datalogs etc. etc.