CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1984 black & wild

1984 gmc jimmy 1tons

mark84k5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
mark84k5 submitted a new Build:

1984 black & wild

View attachment 367463 Decided to start a build thread to share what I have been up to. Some of you have helped me tremendously already and I appreciate that. I live in Michigan and bought my truck from North Carolina. Never seen the truck in person. I would not recommend doing this but I decided to take a gamble. Found it on Craig’s list. Had it shipped up here from a trucking company in January of 2020. View attachment 367462 Here is the truck when I first got it. It had stock open diffs and 35x12 m/t on 15x12 Mickey Thompson wheels. Also 4”pro Comp lift spring front block rear. It wouldn’t stay running and the throttle was hard to push. Come to find out the previous owner sprayed the engine down and somehow filled the cap and rotor with water. No biggie he was just trying to clean it up it was an easy fix. Next came the throttle cable. I knew right away something was up with the tv cable and the geometry was off. So I bought the arm for an edlebrok to fix that and also the proper bracket. I ended up needing to cut the bracket and make some changes to it and weld it back together. I got the geometry right but the gas peddle was still stiff. To fix that issue I went to a shorter 79’ camaro throttle cable and drilled a higher hole in the carb arm where the cable attaches so it would pull straight.then around the spring I pulled the carpet and started patching the floors. No major holes just some pitting. So one big patch on the passenger side and a couple small ones here and there. View attachment 367464 View attachment 367465 View attachment 367466 View attachment 367467 View attachment 367468 View attachment 367469 After the patches I did primer, paint, insulation , and rubber floors. Around this time I found some one tons in Pennsylvania. They were a matching set out of a k30 with 4.10 gears. Beware 84-85 some 14bolts use a small bearing for the pinion that you can’t find. I didn’t know this when I bought them and almost had a heart attach when I thought I had a useless 14bolt. I got lucky and mine was the right bearing. I took the axles apart and metal finished the diffs to make them look pretty. Lol. Had the rear rebuilt with the 4.10 gears that were in them but with a true-track. The Dana 60 was the same but put a detroit locker up front. View attachment 367470 View attachment 367471 View attachment 367472 View attachment 367473 ...

Read more about this build here...

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Looks like you’ve been busy!

mark84k5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like you’ve been busy!
Being from the motor city and watching a lot of half finished cars stuck in garages for one reason or another, that is one of my biggest fears. I have worked on a lot of other peoples cars and now my day has come so I didn’t want to waste any time or fart around. I saved for a long time to do this and I didn’t want this opportunity to be squandered. So I moved fast and worked hard. Thank you

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Don't stop now! From my time in the motor city I know right now is the build season. Lock yourself in the garage, heat it any way you can and keep going. Good work so far!

mark84k5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't stop now! From my time in the motor city I know right now is the build season. Lock yourself in the garage, heat it any way you can and keep going. Good work so far!
Defiantly not stopping. I just put the truck up north in my buddies pole barn for winter storage. In the next couple weeks when I go back up there we will be finishing the new motor and pulling the old one. Next time that thing pulls out of the barn its gonna have a fire breathing dragon under the hood. I also wanted to add some other things I forgot about. the brake lines are ORD braided lines. I used sky off-road d60/44 brake caliper brackets to run 3/4ton brakes on a 1ton axle. Dana 60 3/4 ton 8 Lug Front Disc Brake Brackets – Sky Manufacturing (skysoffroaddesign.com)

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I like dragons. I see some of the stuff listed in the write up. But I think you should talk more about the dragon...

CharlesC83

K10
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh and nice truck! I sort of wish I went with the 3/4 ton brake mounts for my D60, but, I stayed in the poor's old school category and ground away til they cleared my Bart 15x10's. Only the cool kids run 15's on 1 tons.

mark84k5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
hahaha.... right over my head. I did have to do some grinding to fit the 15s. If I could do the wheel tire combo over I would have went with 16".

As for the motor... it is an 817 casting 400sbc. the 817 is a 2 bolt main later block. I'm not going to be pushing major HP so block casting doesn't really matter but thought id through that in. The crank is a stock 400 stroke aftermarket crank and same with the rods. Pistons are Keith black. Heads are world products s/r torquer with pro flo aluminum rockers.

Chromoly push rods. cam is from comp cams Xtreme Energy 218/224 Hydraulic Flat Cam for Chevrolet Small Block (compcams.com) with their lifters and springs. Intake is a edelbrock performer with a holley 750 carb. the accessory drive is from a 96-up 1500.

I have a 700r4 and will be putting a 2000 stall converter on it when I pull the old motor and check the spline count. Some 84's had 27 some had 30. Torque will be a b&m holeshot torquer converter. b&m told me with the type of build i am doing the flash point will be 2100 maybe more.

Bought some msd cut-to fit wires. the heads have the center bolt style valve covers so I also bought center bolt horizontal wire looms to make it all pretty. Made For You Products 5035611 Made For You Horizontal Top Mount Wire Looms | Summit Racing
also what is a "pro flo cool guy"?

CharlesC83

K10
Premium Member
Reaction score
hahaha.... right over my head. I did have to do some grinding to fit the 15s. If I could do the wheel tire combo over I would have went with 16". As for the motor... it is an 817 casting 400sbc. the 817 is a 2 bolt main later block. I'm not going to be pushing major HP so block casting doesn't really matter but thought id through that in. The crank is a stock 400 stroke aftermarket crank and same with the rods. Pistons are Keith black. Heads are world products s/r torquer with pro flo aluminum rockers. Chromoly push rods. cam is from comp cams Xtreme Energy 218/224 Hydraulic Flat Cam for Chevrolet Small Block (compcams.com) with their lifters and springs. Intake is a edelbrock performer with a holley 750 carb. the accessory drive is from a 96-up 1500. I have a 700r4 and will be putting a 2000 stall converter on it when I pull the old motor and check the spline count. Some 84's had 27 some had 30. Torque will be a b&m holeshot torquer converter. b&m told me with the type of build i am doing the flash point will be 2100 maybe more. Bought some msd cut-to fit wires. the heads have the center bolt style valve covers so I also bought center bolt horizontal wire looms to make it all pretty. Made For You Products 5035611 Made For You Horizontal Top Mount Wire Looms | Summit Racing
also what is a "pro flo cool guy"?

That's my lame attempt at a joke about the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 EFi kit. Some members here call it bro flo. Its a 2000$ EFI kit from Edelbrock once you buy it your a pro flo coolguy, at least in your own mind.

I am in the middle of installing my own PF4 kit. Now back to your build, not trying to derail this thread.

mark84k5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wanted to add i bought this engine as a complete engine.
That's my lame attempt at a joke about the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 EFi kit. Some members here call it bro flo. Its a 2000$ EFI kit from Edelbrock once you buy it your a pro flo coolguy, at least in your own mind.

I am in the middle of installing my own PF4 kit. Now back to your build, not trying to derail this thread.
I got you. Would like efi but its gonna have to wait for now. Also wanted to add I got one of ORD's tubular crossmembers for a big block/ls because maybe in the future I will want to go bigger, with poly engine and trans mounts. Bought this motor complete so i didnt chose the heads. maybe in the future ill go with some higher flowing edelbocks or vortecs.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
There’s some quirks with both the vortecs and the Edelbrock heads, so read lots before buying

mark84k5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cam choice with those heads should be a fantastic low end tire shredder

As for the Edelbrock ProFlo, it’s been a popular choice of guys here on the site. Not a cheap option, but having any of the other EFI options with full timing control are also not cheap

https://ck5.com/forums/threads/edelbrock-proflo-4.335548/
That was the goal to get a ton of low end torque. The axles added a lot of weight to and already heavy truck. I didn't want to go high in the gearing cause I go up north to hunt and camp a lot so I need to be able to do 75mph comfortably for 2.5 hrs. I did the math before choosing rear-end ratio and tire. With a 35" tire ,4.10 ratio and 0.70 o.d i think 75mph was like 2000rpm

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That was the goal to get a ton of low end torque. The axles added a lot of weight to and already heavy truck. I didn't want to go high in the gearing cause I go up north to hunt and camp a lot so I need to be able to do 75mph comfortably for 2.5 hrs. I did the math before choosing rear-end ratio and tire. With a 35" tire ,4.10 ratio and 0.70 o.d i think 75mph was like 2000rpm
Should work great

mark84k5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s some quirks with both the vortecs and the Edelbrock heads, so read lots before buying
it wont be for a while anyways. i want the truck to run and be put together before i start tinkering with more power and other things.

mark84k5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
452a4e7b-a76d-4608-a1c0-6b2e4814feea
upload_2021-2-5_12-7-24.jpeg

upload_2021-2-5_12-7-4.jpeg

Top Bottom