CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1988 K5 the "Big Blue" compromise

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ground on the low side was loose as hell, and there was nothing nearby to stop the roll if it tipped over. Some of the heavier pieces of wreckage may have had a shot at landing in someone's back yard 3/4 mile below.

I got out and unloaded the entire truck (carefully) - EVERYTHING OUT, because I didn't want weight shifting around, and also because all the tools and unsecured junk would have pummeled me to death if I was inside the truck and it decided to get acrobatic. I walked around the area for a little while assessing the situation.

had no spare tire with me to bury, and nothing else remotely capable of anchoring the new winch to.

Last edited:

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, i had a hammer, a bucket, a pair of gloves, and a screwdriver.

not far down the hill i had cell service. So i texted a buddy who has played the "come rescue my dumbass" game before, gave him my GPS coordinates, and a description of my not very good plan, and told him to call the local everyone authorities if he hadn't heard from me in about 2 hours when it got dark. Also gave him an estimated address for the people at the bottom of the hill in case anyone needed to look in their yard for a badass bumper and smoldering wreckage.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
aaaaaaaaand then i spent an hour trying to find rocks or branches of any kind. there wasnt much. that hill was mostly loose gravel and grass.

I probably moved 1000 pounds of base ball and grapefruit sized stones, and tried to start building a ramp back to the road for the low side tires to roll back onto. the hill was so steep i had to start 5/6 feet below the height of the tires, and then build/stack back up, just so there would be SOME kind of support that didnt just give way and collapse and roll back down the hill under the weight of the truck.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
And this is the last picture i took.

My phone battery was getting low- thought better to save in case of emergency call.
it was getting dark and i needed to move faster.

I was able to drive/roll backwards and the high side came down into the pits, and having those tires locked in there helped keep the low side tires from smooshing and displacing my rock and dirt ramps too badly as they rolled back.

IMG_0401.JPG

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had dug those pits right up to and literally UNDER the tires. I wanted that thing to come STRAIGHT down!

It did, and then I effectively had a high centered Blazer sitting on the side of a steep hill with nowhere to go, so I spent ANOTHER 1.5 hours frantically digging and transferring the dirt to the low side while building a dirt/rock bridge on the low side pointed straight back to the trail.

I had to dig out all the dirt between the front and rear tires on the divers side, and then dig out all the dirt behind the driver's rear until i had a clear, flat trench for the tires to roll all the way back, far enough for the low tires to make it back on firm ground without the truck pitching any weight towards the scary side of the hill.

Man! - I'm tired just remembering all that work. From the initial pucker, to wave of relief, was probably 4 hours of nonstop work.

trench.jpg

Last edited:

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you fill it back in after you got out?

Martin
lol - Short answer is no I did not.

But, I moved so much dirt just getting out, I basically changed the profile of the trail and contour of the hill itself right there. No holes, no trenches... kinda made a dip/ramp in the otherwise consistent incline. If you were to drive up trail after i left, it looked like part of the trail just got smeared over the edge.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
wouldn't have been an issue to other vehicle or foot traffic (at least no more than it was before!) , sooooo... no sleep lost over the trail contour.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah, its kind of cool having Miss January hanging above my desk...

But i don't want to go home to her, because she is big and fat and needs a bunch of work right now!

desk work.jpg

joshuak

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah, its kind of cool having Miss January hanging above my desk...

But i don't want to go home to her, because she is big and fat and needs a bunch of work right now!

Something about: Knock knock. Who's there? Squeal! :doah:

She may not vroom vroom but she's still a beaut. You'll get'er right.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Something about: Knock knock. Who's there? Squeal! :doah:

She may not vroom vroom but she's still a beaut. You'll get'er right.
lol yup. engine work next 2 weeks- hoping to keep that contained to January though! that truck goes back out on some trails this spring! buuuuut i havent posted enough photos to get the build on big blue back up to present day, so everybody has to forget these posts and pretend they didt happen yet? - i will get some more build stuff posted here this week.

I do have some pictures with me I could post in the firearms forum about a tumbler I made for brass... i will do that today.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
also - VIDEOS!! i forgot i had posted a few on you tube years ago - just figured out how to post a link. I stuck two of them back on page 2 somewhere roughly chronologically correct, from pre bumper days when the truck was still on 33" tires.

good for a laugh!

-edit- whoops i meant page 2! got those first few videos on page 2

Last edited:

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
here- this one fits in to this part of the thread chronologically (roughly)

get that truck working in the garden!

Top Bottom