CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1989 Camaro RS

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will maximize your gains with the 350.
Why stick any time into money into a 305,"just to see" only to be disappointed.
Plus if you ever sell it, the tpi 350 will be far more desirable.
I would buy a tpi, holley ecu'ed 350 camaro.
I would not bother for a second with a tbi 305, with headers,
This is a survivor car. It's stock and complete. So I just don't want to break it up. I'm not racing it. I would be just as happy if it had a 6cyl if it was this complete.

I'll be the old dude at the cruise in with the original and complete 89 RS. I have another car if/when I want to start going nuts. The little extras are just for something to tinker with. I guess tuning it is the same. Just something to play with.

If I was going for a power build, it would be a LS swap. No questions. That has actually been my plan for the 84 Monte I sold. Turbo 5.3 and a 6 speed. But life.... Add that to the fact I don't go racing every weekend. And I have other interests and kids. I'm just not interested in going that route right now and probably never with this car.

I know it's nothing special and it doesn't add value. But it's not really about that either. My kids will have to decide what to do with this car one day and it won't be my problem then.

Where are my white new balance and cargo shorts?

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
This is a survivor car. It's stock and complete. So I just don't want to break it up. I'm not racing it. I would be just as happy if it had a 6cyl if it was this complete.

I'll be the old dude at the cruise in with the original and complete 89 RS. I have another car if/when I want to start going nuts. The little extras are just for something to tinker with. I guess tuning it is the same. Just something to play with.

If I was going for a power build, it would be a LS swap. No questions. That has actually been my plan for the 84 Monte I sold. Turbo 5.3 and a 6 speed. But life.... Add that to the fact I don't go racing every weekend. And I have other interests and kids. I'm just not interested in going that route right now and probably never with this car.

I know it's nothing special and it doesn't add value. But it's not really about that either. My kids will have to decide what to do with this car one day and it won't be my problem then.

Where are my white new balance and cargo shorts?
If it's a survivor car, then you shouldn't mess it with all.
Get it in good running shape, with replacement parts and leave it be. Drive it and enjoy it as is.
****ing with the tune and adding intake and cam, headers does nothing for future value. And at this point, that's a real thing to think about.

Last edited:

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
There is no reason to keep the 305 if you are going to modify at all. If you are after a "survivor", don't change anything.

If you want to modify, yet make it appear as a survivor, then definitely buy the L98, and just use the L98 long block with LO3 intake and accessories. This would be the best approach. It would still look like a survivor when you open the hood.

If you are going to make exterior engine, visual changes, then there is absolutely no reason to keep the LO3. Once you put headers and such on, it's not going to be a survivor.

If you swap intake manifolds, and use a TBI adapter, you are probably going to need a cowl induction hood. The factory setup is already at the hood.

Martin

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
20210601_180143.jpg

It's on the road! Looks like it needs rotors. They seem to be warped pretty good. Also I might have to put new tires on it. They seem to have flat spotted. We put 16 miles on it today around town and it's not gotten much better.

Anyways, it's rolling finally. Now to start shopping for parts. I guess I do calipers and hoses too since I'm in there. Cause I'm like that....

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
16 miles isn't enough to roll out flat spots.
Drive 100 plus and see what you got

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a new grill. That one is REALLY deteriorated. It turned that white/ gray color after I rinsed the dirt off and is crumbling.

Gonna price out the brake parts tomorrow and see where I'll end up with those. I'll poetically go back with good quality rubber hoses and might even put on new calipers while I'm at it. These are 32 years old after all.

I'll probably go with the Raybestos coated rotors and their EHT pads. I'm really a fan of their stuff.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just ordered a new grill. That one is REALLY deteriorated. It turned that white/ gray color after I rinsed the dirt off and is crumbling.

Gonna price out the brake parts tomorrow and see where I'll end up with those. I'll poetically go back with good quality rubber hoses and might even put on new calipers while I'm at it. These are 32 years old after all.

I'll probably go with the Raybestos coated rotors and their EHT pads. I'm really a fan of their stuff.
Don’t you hate it when you realize your car is 32 years old? I had that same weird feeling thinking mine is 27 already

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t you hate it when you realize your car is 32 years old? I had that same weird feeling thinking mine is 27 already
Oh yeah.... I remember the body style of my pickup being introduced. I just realized a few months ago my truck and my oldest daughter are about the same age difference as me and my Grandpa's 1976 C10......

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading tonight.

Using DD2000, with factory 187 heads I could get just shy of 300hp from my 305 with a good intake, 670cfm throttle body, headers and the 5.7L Vortec L31 cam.

Add 305 Vortec heads to the mix and I'm knocking on the door of 330hp.

I realize these are probably not super accurate numbers, but it's really something to consider. Just toss find someone with a L31 or LT1 cam and do a good aftermarket dual plane intake. Then start learning to tune the ecm.
I have an L31 I am scrapping.
I will check the condition of the cam.
If it's clean you can have it for the shipping cost

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wife is wanting to go for a ride this weekend. Gotta take a few minutes and clean it up good. Hopefully the rain will hold off and I can do that this evening. Gotta call my detail guy and see if he's still doing it. He'll make it pretty again.

Also need to find some factory wheels for this thing. I think my set left with my S10. But I can't remember.

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
What is wrong with the current '91-'92 16" wheels? Just want the correct 15" Z28 wheels?

Martin

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with the current '91-'92 16" wheels? Just want the correct 15" Z28 wheels?

Martin
I would like to have the correct wheels and the clear coat is in awful shape on these wheels. They have big white sections where it's popped and corroded under and just not great.

I thought about a set of the Hawks 17" IROC style wheels too. Have to see what I can find though.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
I would like to have the correct wheels and the clear coat is in awful shape on these wheels. They have big white sections where it's popped and corroded under and just not great.

I thought about a set of the Hawks 17" IROC style wheels too. Have to see what I can find though.
No interest in restoring those 16s? They look good on those cars.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
View attachment 379626

It's on the road! Looks like it needs rotors. They seem to be warped pretty good. Also I might have to put new tires on it. They seem to have flat spotted. We put 16 miles on it today around town and it's not gotten much better.

Anyways, it's rolling finally. Now to start shopping for parts. I guess I do calipers and hoses too since I'm in there. Cause I'm like that....
I remember we used to call those "cool guy" cars in a derogatory way. Now I think it would be cool to have one. :D

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
No interest in restoring those 16s? They look good on those cars.
If I could find a shop to do it I wouldn't mind. They're not the correct wheels but they're close. These came off a 90 RS V6 car that was supposed to be my wife's. It got sold a few years ago wearing the corvette rally knock offs that I got with this car and a BFG with a broken belt.

I do like the look of them but this car came with the 15" 5 spokes.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The last time I looked the selection of 16" tires was pretty limited - and 15" may be better..

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score

I bought a set of chinese knockoff corvette wheels for my camaro - was reasonably priced. they do have sales occasionally

Top Bottom