CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1990 K5 Build ( Ol' Blue ) : Rocker rust...

bix

...Not higher, but lower?
Premium Member
Reaction score
bix submitted a new Build:

1990 K5 Build ( Ol' blue )

About 9 months ago i finally had a found a k5 online for sale that wasnt growing weeds through the floor in a farmers field for 5 grand, and actually saw one that caught my eye and was close to home, Awesome i thought.

View attachment 230256

This is was the photos posted online, Apparently it ran like a charm and was stored in a barn over the last 4 winters and was " lady " driven as the man claimed..

So i show up and not having driven standard in awhile and having the gas pedal stiffer than a brick, i managed to get the dump truck up on the grass at the farm. Then i proceed to crawl under it...:confused: Not knowing much about these trucks per say but having an alright understanding of vehicles since i had just fixed up a 1990 exploder and sold it, i proceeded to look around. Ball joints were shot, u joints were allllright i guess. Brakes ( front and rear ) were brand new..even though the owner before him decided to paint the drums and calipers red... Other then the typical things that are wrong with a vehicle when people assume they last forever until they fall to pieces, the thing looked decent.

i didnt have all the money i needed in hand since the ATM only lets me take out 1000 a day and i work well more than the bankers do, i told him I would return the next day, even if i had to fake sick for the AM to hit a bank. So a few days later and some bull**** about him having to take the tires off and not budging on the price i bought it anyway for just under 4 grand.

This being november of last year and living in the old white north, it was a litttle chilly. So she sat for most of the winter as i proceeded to leave her covered outside and work on it from time to time.

k5 in snow 2 by smithblakek5

In the time being i couldnt help but drive it to work a few times

interior by :D

After a few rides i noticed it smelt awful of raw fuel.. Having no smog or CAT here...

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

bix

Premium Member
Reaction score
The k5 had been getting by on what i had put into it and in the mean time i replaced the Upper and lower ball joints, U joints in the drive shaft, front axle, fuel pump assembly, fuel filter, and a section of fuel line that was crushed and also adding the the fact my blazer was eating gas more than usual.

Just so happens this site led me to an up north sub forum for all us canadians.. A fellow ck5er from edmonton had caught my eye because i hadnt seen any other in the forum so far but him. We met up and talked k5 and everything else, aaaand that was the beginning of a friendship! Long story short he had these warn premium hubs laying around since he had a pair of spicers.. So being filled with weird feelings in my pants for new truck parts i went home and cleaned them up.

hubs cleaned
When i took mine off i was happy i had motive to do so and re pack the hubs.
The screw was an odd thing to see on both sides of the hubs that were on there....
bhub2

hub3

Packed the new warns and put them in.

HUb
I had trouble getting the last snap ring on and then after a few smokes and some typical cursing, i thought to push out the axle and it was all it needed:thumb:.

( i took a photo for this write up but dont want to skip ahead so forget the new Pro comp rim:whistle:)

Thanks to tRustyk5 i had the first new good upgrade from stock!:rolleyes:

bix

Premium Member
Reaction score
It is, I am trying to catch up now that i am starting to actually make some good progress on the k5! and parts are coming in faster than i thought..:doah:

Deuling

“I like to make things”
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
It is, I am trying to catch up now that i am starting to actually make some good progress on the k5! and parts are coming in faster than i thought..:doah:

Cool. Keep the pic posting rate up :D

bix

Premium Member
Reaction score
Im glad i took all these even though i never thought of making a build thread. Id start writting the next section if i wasnt trying to make it through yours:popcorn:

Deuling

“I like to make things”
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Im glad i took all these even though i never thought of making a build thread. Id start writting the next section if i wasnt trying to make it through yours:popcorn:

Dont go through my build here. Click the link to pirate in my first post. Its much faster. No talking, just pictures.

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
don't distract him Adam! :haha:

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I've seriously never met someone this smitten with K5's. I'm surprised Nick gets any sleep at all with all the K5 pr0n here...

bix

Premium Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago me and rene ( tRustyk5 ) decided to tackle my lift kit.
We set a date and went to town.

Parts:
4 in all spring BDS lift.
Diy4x front shackle eyes
Diy4x front shackles (5inch)
Greasable bolts
Moog front steering stabilizer
BDS 5500 hydro shocks
Raised Pro comp Steering Arm.
Moog drag link and connector
Dick cepek fun country 2s (33x12.5)
Pro comp Rock crawler wheels

This is how the truck rolled in

We got a bit of a late start since i had worked the night before being on night shift pulling piles out of the ground..

We dropped the two front tires like they were in need of, It gave me a real good refresher as to how gross the drag links were..

Then we started wrenching on the u-bolt nuts.. The impact didnt fit.. but i figured it was all a part of earning my stripes.

We got them ubolt nuts off both sides except for one that i got greedy on and filled the threads but rusty crap and it seized.. Its also the first thing that rene claimed defeated his impact...:dunno: so out came the grinder!

I started cutting out the leaf bolts and the shackles i was replacing as rene started to get the steering arm out.. He explained to me his technique but
since you can easily make the steering arm worse to get out by seating the cone washers deeper, i let him go at it..and at it...aaaand at it. After i had all the shackles and bolts cut on my side and the front leaf bolt on my side cut i paid my attention to him. After watching the 4 pound sledge do no damage to the 2nd and 3rd cone washer i suggested getting the 20 pound sledge out.. Weeelllll, it happened. It was hit with the 20 pounder a good 10-20 times and then back to the 4 pound it was..

Like mentioned in the previous thread, MPS was missed but the 20 pounder should have been good for some points..

After a little while longer.. i couldnt handle to hear the frustration and noise coming from that side anymore.. the guilt from having someone whos helping me, and working harder than me set in, And i suggested to him we should swap tasks.

Maybe about 6 hits later, i see the 2nd cone washer moving
I dare not take the credit for getting that POS off hahaha. We were both just so releived to have it off as the drivers side could now begin to take shape with new parts.

We installed the new steering arm which came with new nuts but not new cone washers.. The old ones werent too badly beaten.
IMG_3361
IMG_3364

Once we got the new DIY4x shackle eyes installed and the front bushings and bolts cut and the old POS shocks, that one ended being bent..:doah: we could place the new shackles and leafs in place on the perchs. The BDS bushing sent with the kit worked perfect on the front stock hangers but were too wide on the DIY4x side so if anyone is using the new hangers and shackles with a BDS kit. you will need to trim the bushings down with a grinder.
IMG_3368

IMG_3379
The crap that came out. We noticed after that the previous owner had added a leaf on each spring with another 52 inch leaf spring... no wonder it rode like a dump truck all this time...:screwy:

Back to the new stuff!
IMG_3365
MOOG steering stabilzer
IMG_3370

After a long 10 hours of wrenching with breaks for food and coffee along the way we decided to call it a night. We were both beat and could use the rest. My ole lady came and got me and i returned the next morning, Glad i booked two days off for this.

The next morning we started right back at it with more enthusiasm since the front was so close to being done.
At this point we had everything hand tightened just so it was all buttoned up for now.

Could add the last piece of the front suspension pieces...
The new moog drag link ends and connector.

We then double checked the nuts and bolts and put the tires on!!

The rear end didnt get nearly as many photos as i was more focused on just getting this thing up on its last 2 tires as i was dying to see it done, 5 months of anticipation was about to be over. The rear end, being less pieces still had its annoyances, we cut all the u bolts off. And the rear shackle hangers were a pain in my ass to get through due to 5 inch cutting disks and the access... i used a hammer to beat the crap out of them. While i was busy tackling the rear end, Rene found a way to fix my pathetic exhaust.. or what was left of it after the mud at work and my foot had made it fall off right after the blown out glasspack.. Once the rear end was finally ready for bushing and bolts. We fit them up to make sure everything would sit plumb and snug. We tightened up the rear end.

My existing rear shackles were a pain in the ass. we used c-clamps, ratchet straps and another ratched strap and a bottle jack but we got them in and done! next time i detach the leafs in the rear i will replace the shackles.

This was the exhaust that rene welded up while i was building the rear end. It was the best 20 min exhaust job anyone could have asked for. It sounds awesome. I will post a video the next time i am out in the k5.

We got the tires back on and we got it out of the garage!

bix

Premium Member
Reaction score
It said i had exceeded the limit of photos allowed in one post so i posted the rest just now.

bix

Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually dont have much time to spend on this site.....Im a bbbuuusy crane operator:whistle::whistle:.. wanted to get a little caught up as my tail gate parts came and will have more on the way soon!

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
For anyone looking at the brake lines in the pics, two things to bear in mind. 1) The axle is hanging there at full droop 2) Nick and I are gonna be ordering up extended SS brake lines in the next few days for his truck and mine. For street use their is plenty of slack and no stress on the stock lines.

It's fun working with someone so enthusiastic. I was whipped by Sunday night though. Been quite a while since I thrashed that many hours on a weekend.

I would say new shackles for the rear would be a good idea. We still have a pair of 9/16" greasable bolts here. At the time, the thought of cutting those MFers out and dealing with it was a bit beyond the remaining energy.

I do think think it sits a touch low in the rear, but we'll have to wait for the springs to fully settle and better judge the stance then. I have some zero-rates here if the rear settles more than the front.

Overall, a very gratifying weekend. I can't recall feeling so mentally good on a Monday in a long time. :waytogo:

Looking forward to further pics. The one pic I'm most looking forward to is you launching the "Previous owner seeking missile"... :D

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I actually dont have much time to spend on this site.....Im a bbbuuusy crane operator:whistle::whistle:.. wanted to get a little caught up as my tail gate parts came and will have more on the way soon!

You'd be less buuuuusy if it was 'windy' more often...:haha:

Then again, the more you work the faster that fvckin highway gets finished.

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
IMG_3379

Nick! You must go back and sign your name on the table! :haha:

Didn`t know your Blazer was a standard! :thumb: Pretty rare with that and the power mirrors...does it have a hydro clutch too?

GWeakland620

THE CK5 Crayon Eater
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Very nice looking sir:waytogo:

This build thread really gets me fired up to find another nice K5 for a daily driver.

bix

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea it is a hydraulic clutch, the one major selling point for me was that it was a sm465, the power mirrors have to go! I got a set of doors with the 80's mirrors. For some reason i just really like that look. Ill have to find someone who wants my mirrors

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I was also impressed by the SM465, power mirror combo.

Need to get a stock steering wheel for it.

Martin

Top Bottom