1st Post 71 Blazer Project

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joedragrace, Sep 27, 2014.

1. max 02

max 02 N.E.D. Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Looks great! Nice engine! :saweet:

Way to go on the rust repair.... I'm working on my kids rockers and cab corners, so time consuming! I'm sick of rust.... But what do you do!?

2. joedragrace

joedragrace Registered Member Premium Member

12/22/2019 Update Moving up from page 8
    Thought I would update my slow progress and put some pressure to get the Blazer running. I have been working on other parts of the build, just not rust repair. But I now have full floors in the front. IMG_1039.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1041.JPG IMG_1043.JPG I set the motor in a while back to make sure the motor mounts were in the correct location. Also put the trans case in to check shifter location. IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0921.JPG IMG_0925.JPG
    Sent the steering box to Red Head Steering to get rebuilt. Removed the 3 on the tree guts from the steering column, replaced the bearings and turn signal switch, and filled the hole for the lever. IMG_1053.JPG IMG_1056.JPG
    Finished mounting the seats. This had to be done first before the rocker boxes can be installed since the back outside nut plates are inside the box area. IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1055.JPG IMG_1057.JPG
    Sprayed the inside and outside of the rocker boxes yesterday with Raptor liner. I bought the better Raptor gun, and it's well worth the money. $70 The texture turned out smother than when I sprayed the frame.
    https://www.raptorcoatings.com/us/e...ies/professional-application-gun#.Xf-Kj25FzXI
    IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1052.JPG
    Planning on installing the boxes in the next few days. Just need to clean up the underside of the cab and rust encapsulate the area before installing the boxes.

TuckerK5, NorCal69, ekajkrats and 2 others like this.
  3. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Quite a bit of work to get that all replaced. It looks good!

4. joedragrace

Thanks! I feel good when I finally have the rocker boxes welded in place.

5. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    just going to grind off the liner in the welded areas?

6. joedragrace

I taped those areas off before coating. Still need to sand off the black primer(e-coat).

7. joedragrace

Finished installing the rocker boxes this morning. Both sides went on without much hassle, which I guess is good.
    IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1066.JPG
    This is what the inside of the box area looked like before the boxes were installed.
    IMG_1062.JPG IMG_1061.JPG
    Both outer rockers fit good as well. Waiting to weld them in place until I hang the doors to make sure alignment is correct.
    IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1067.JPG

livid4dirt, Capt Ron, ashman and 5 others like this.
  8. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    For sure don’t weld the outer rockers until the doors are on. Those are one of the most frustrating parts to get back on. The replacement outer rockers frequently have trouble. Very nice work so far though.

9. joedragrace

Thanks! If you look at Project "RESPAWN" the alignment of the doors, outer rocker, and front bedside repair all line up nice. That's what I'm aiming for.

10. joedragrace

Peeled another piece of the onion. Looks like I'm going to replace the rear cross sill, along with the rear section of bed. Yea!
    IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1081.JPG

NorCal69 and ekajkrats like this.
  11. joedragrace

Finished cutting out the rear cross sill and ordered a new one. There is not a direct replacement for the Blazer, (that I could fine) so I ordered one for fleet side steel bed. The mounting pads are taller
    since the bed bolts directly to the frame on trucks. So I had to cut them off so I can shorten them. The right side didn't line up very well anyway.
    IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    There is also reinforcement boxes on the Blazer cross sill. Mine were to rusty to reuse, so I made some new ones.
    IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    The sill and floor section had to be split in order to install without removing the one bed side. I left a 3/8" lip on the old floor just behind the cross member to weld the new section to. I was able to slide
    the new section under that lip, so I can scribe a final cut line. Working on shorting up the mounting pads and boxes. Remember BRACE THE TAILGATE OPENING! Probably not necessary, but it's a
    great reference point and you know nothing has moved.
    IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1096.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG

ekajkrats, 6872xtc, ashman and 3 others like this.
  12. Greg72

Greg72 "Iron Sharpens Iron..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Build(s):
    Nice work. Gotta respect guys who are willing to go this far into the truck to exorcise rust and hidden damage. :waytogo:

-G

13. joedragrace

Thanks Man, This looks like the last structural area that needs major repair. I'm ready to get past rust repair.

NorCal69 likes this.
  14. joedragrace

Working on the mounting pads and boxes when I got sidetracked,(or maybe look ahead). You can see the amount of material I removed from the mounting pad. Still have to add the top flanges to the boxes.
    IMG_1103.JPG
    2 issues I needed to address before moving on with the floor. The gas tank neck and the vent lines. The new tank neck is useless and welded on, not brazed on. So I took it to a local radiator/gas tank repair shop.
    They said if I removed the existing neck(to save on labor cost) they would braze the my original neck on for $40.00. Problem 1 solved.
    IMG_1098.JPG IMG_1101.JPG
    Issue 2. The vent lines I purchased from Inline tube were not even close to the original lines. They said if I sent my old lines in they would copy them, but my old lines were in bad shape. So I had them
    send me the brass unions(no charge) I would finish the lines myself. I thought this was the best time to finish the lines as well as the fuel filler hose, since the working area was exposed. Problem 2 solved.
    IMG_1109.JPG IMG_1110.JPG IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    Back to finishing up the rear floor section.(Unless something else shiny catches my eye)

CK5, ekajkrats, ashman and 4 others like this.