CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

2007 Xterra:Terry's Bolt On Wheeler

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
The M226 is actually a "Super44" from Dana. Pretty similar to the JKR D44.

And stop tempting me. I'm pretty damn certain I could get a JKR 44 under the front with no more than 4" of lift with radius arms but I don't need to be slicing up my DD right now....
Oh I know that.
My buddy has a Nissan xterra and he keeps telling me he already has a d44 in the front.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh I know that.
My buddy has a Nissan xterra and he keeps telling me he already has a d44 in the front.
The front? The fronts are Nissan design diffs the way I under stand it. 2nd gen is only 180mm ring gear. And the spiders are sintered metal not forged. They shred pretty regularly. I think the 1st gens actually had a larger ring but still not a Dana design.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
The front? The fronts are Nissan design diffs the way I under stand it. 2nd gen is only 180mm ring gear. And the spiders are sintered metal not forged. They shred pretty regularly. I think the 1st gens actually had a larger ring but still not a Dana design.
He has a 2001 so 1st generation

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
The rear axle is still on stands and the front is torn down to where I just have to pull the drive shaft, pull the CVs and unbolt the front diff.

I would like to get both new diffs in the X today so that the rest of it is just reassembly from here on in. If I can stop finding little things wrong I want to deal with this will take a lot less time. The CV boots are in rough shape so that's got me wanting to replace all of them while the CVs are still good. Once I get them pulled we'll see how much of a job that will be.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
After supper this evening, I got the u-bolts back on, got the axle retainers and parking brake anchors torqued, the parking brake cables in place, the axle vent replaced with the nipple and hose hooked back up, both shackles reassembled and the driver's side shock back on.

Another couple days like this and we'll be rolling again. I think tomorrow I can get the rear buttoned up. I was delayed by having to cut a few more brackets off the axle to clear the u-bolt flip setup.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got everything buttoned up today and the X back on the ground. Man what a difference those lower gears make. It'll actually spin the tires on pavement now!!!

I had a chirp in the brakes and couldn't seem to get the pedal nice and firm so I pulled the rear brakes apart and checked the park brake adjustment and the pads.

Guess what I found? THE PASSENGER SIDE AXLE SHAFT IS BENT. A good 1/8" of runout. So now I'm on the hunt for a shaft. I think I have a line on a Dana/Spicer part from Summit but the nice lady on the phone said it would probably be Monday before I heard back from them. I guess that's ok.

It gives me time to get the locker wired up and working. I've got some work to do to get it how I want it anyways. I have a 4 circuit and a 6 circuit fuse panel I'm going to add to the driver's side kick panel so I'll need power feed wire and another circuit breaker for that. I have the switch I'm going to use. It's a dual lit Contura V. I'm going to use the stand alone circuit for illumination behind the label for it and attempt to use the integrated light for the locked indication. I think if I break the ground through the switch in the diff it will light up when the locker engages and let me know it's time to get serious what that throttle pedal!!!

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a dual lit Contura V. I'm going to use the stand alone circuit for illumination behind the label for it and attempt to use the integrated light for the locked indication. I think if I break the ground through the switch in the diff it will light up when the locker engages and let me know it's time to get serious what that throttle pedal!!!

If I'm understanding that correctly, it should work. Much like control room knobs (I'm sure you borrowed the idea, eh? :wink1:)

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
New shaft ordered two weeks ago. $500.... still not here yet.

Started wiring the locker last night then the "might as well" hit and I ordered a new head unit today with bluetooth and USB ports to replace the OE radio with the failed CD player.

So I'm about $3k of mods into a $3k SUV THIS ROUND.... haha.... ugh....

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got the Xterra back together today. I've taken it on a couple trips around town and had it up to around 50 and so far so good.

Also installed the new stereo and man that's nice! The BT input for Pandora and songs saved on my phone is great. I've got to get another flash drive to dump my song files on to plug into the back of the radio. I still need to mount my microphone as well so it's in a better place than laying in the console.

Man this thing is a completely different beast with the new gears. I'm really excited about getting it out and seeing how it does on the trails and open roads!

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got my VDC OFF switch yesterday and stuck it in. My 8ga power feed and 40A breaker arrived so I mounted the breaker and ran the cable into the cabin.

20200427_170453.jpg

I've got to get some lugs to terminate it and then run the wires to the locker.

So far things are working good. The lower gearing is such a change in this thing. I'm basically running 1 gear higher around town than I had been and on the interstate it's not shuttling between 4th and 5th to maintain speed.

Were supposed to do a prerun of a localism trail Sunday to get a couple other guys familiar with it for a group ride next month.

The plan is to run it for a couple hundred miles and change the fluids in the diffs to flush them out and put in Amsoil and install my ARB rear diff cover.

Top Bottom