CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

2007 Xterra:Terry's Bolt On Wheeler

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you want a new disposable wheeler to keep you from ruining your current disposable wheeler?

This sounds like the next step in an eternal cycle...
I also found a nice Jimmy that I'm agonizing over and a bunch of other good parts locally. Just do away with the Xterra wholesale.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I started the task of swapping the transfer case yesterday evening. Got the drive shafts out and started pulling the exhaust loose. Wound up messing up one stud on each down pipe. One sheared off and the nut just rounded off on the other. Now I've gotta do more cutting.... I'm going to just slice them off flush on both sides and drill them out for bolts. Be less of an issue in the future I hope. That got me started looking at exhaust systems. I can get the Dynomax Ultraflow cat-back for around $300. My tail pipe is a little rusty but there's no leaks so I don't know if I'm going to spend that money right now.

Hopefully I can get both cats out this evening and then start on the cross member. That thing is such a pain. Why the decided it needed to be press fit into the frame I don't understand. Maybe if I get lucky I'll have the old case on the ground by tomorrow night. I'm waiting on a transmission extension housing seal and a couple gaskets for the exhaust system from Rock Auto so I probably won't be able to start piecing it back together till this weekend.

Once it's back together, I might run it down to Richmond to pick up the TS stuff as a test run and wash the case out with some cheap fluid before throwing in the Amsoil.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Old case is out. That is such a PITA on these things but it's done.

Now to wait on my seal and gaskets to get here so I can put the new one in.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
The new transfer case is in the X. Also changed the CV on the rear driveshaft. It had some pretty good play in it.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rear output seal is weeping a little. Not a big deal. Otherwise things seem good. When I change the fluid in a few weeks, I'll swap the seals and boot and that should take care of it.

I'm having some issues with a primary cat. Things only a few years old but Magnaflo basically told me to pound sand. I guess it's the last of their stuff I buy...

Engine doesn't use oil, PCV system is in good working order, no misfires or any other driveability issues. I've swapped sides with both up and down stream O2 probes and the problem stays with the Bank 1 primary cat.

Debating losing the cats completely and going with Doug Thorley long tube headers and just wash my hands of them completely. Could have done that last time but I chose Magnaflow converters hoping they'd get me to 300k miles. No such luck...

Last edited:

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rode Big Levels Jeep Trail with a buddy Saturday. I took a bad line through the big dirty water hole on top and went pretty deep. Looks like that was all my 200k mile alternator would deal with.

I noticed some noise on the ride home but yesterday it was really singing. I pulled it off and swapped on my junk yard spare. You have to pull the passenger side front tire and inner wheel well to get to these things.

20200907_165810.jpg

The spare looked worse than my OE unit but seems to be working fine. I'm going to grab another junk yard spare. These things are ~$200 reman, so a $50 junk yard piece is fine by me if they'll mostly run to 200k miles. That'll probably beat the average for the Advance Auto or Auto Zone units....

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Say what? :eek1:

:doah:
DOHC engine so they are mounted low and because the VQ40DE fills the entire bay and is IFS, it has to come out through the wheel well. It's not the most difficult alternator I've ever changed though.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Installed Raybestos rotors on the X this week. Also swapped to Raybestos EHT rear pads to match the front.

20210407_185948.jpg

20210409_105228.jpg

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Notice any difference yet?
I've had their pads on the front for several miles with, what I'm assuming was, the factory rotors. The pads are awesome. I put them on my truck and that was a huge improvement. I also put them on the wife's car and it'll stop so hard it hurts. I have a pair to go on the back of it soon too so that should be interesting.

I noticed more of a difference in having the EHT pads all around on the X than I think the rotors make but I think the rotors will help when I'm towing or stopping on interstate exits where the slots will help with gas buildup between the pads and rotors.

They're the Raybestos Element3 pads BTW.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
What are those?
The old Nitto Terra Grapplers off the K2500. Time to wear them out. Got my lug nuts yesterday so I have hub caps on them now.

Ordered a custom rear bumper. Paid a lot for it but they're awesome bumpers. Gonna be about a 6mo wait for it though.

I'm trying to get caught up on stuff with the truck and get the quads ready to ride soon! So the time saved is a fair trade for the money.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Notice any difference yet?
So I got to REALLY try them out yesterday. Guy stopped short on me in town to let some folks cross where there isn't a cross walk. Road was a little damp but the brakes grabbed hard enough to start locking up the wheels and kick on the ABS. I think that's pretty good considering this wheel/tire combo is about 15lb heavier on each corner than my Coopers on the aluminum wheels.

longbedder

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I got to REALLY try them out yesterday. Guy stopped short on me in town to let some folks cross where there isn't a cross walk. Road was a little damp but the brakes grabbed hard enough to start locking up the wheels and kick on the ABS. I think that's pretty good considering this wheel/tire combo is about 15lb heavier on each corner than my Coopers on the aluminum wheels.
I'll be putting new pads/rotors on my Frontier when my factory pads wear down naturally. I'd been looking at the series from Raybestos that you mention - thanks for the insight!

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had their pads on the front for several miles with, what I'm assuming was, the factory rotors. The pads are awesome. I put them on my truck and that was a huge improvement. I also put them on the wife's car and it'll stop so hard it hurts. I have a pair to go on the back of it soon too so that should be interesting.

I noticed more of a difference in having the EHT pads all around on the X than I think the rotors make but I think the rotors will help when I'm towing or stopping on interstate exits where the slots will help with gas buildup between the pads and rotors.

They're the Raybestos Element3 pads BTW.
These are the hybrids right?
I got those almost a year ago on my wife's Nissan rogue and after that it's been my choice on all the cars.
Ceramic and something hybrid very quiet and stop great.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
These are the hybrids right?
I got those almost a year ago on my wife's Nissan rogue and after that it's been my choice on all the cars.
Ceramic and something hybrid very quiet and stop great.
Yeah, that's them. Element3 Hybrid. Part numbers begin with EHT.

Top Bottom