468 BB Chevy - What is this worth?

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Edelbrock made new qjets in the late 90's early 2000. I bought one then best $400 dollar carb ever. Still works runs every day I'm changing things.

I know that, but when you say "Edelbrock carburetor", you think shiny Carter AFB.

Martin

ZombieK5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Downgrade from a used BB to a new 383?

My question was originally asked to determine what I "could" get for the engine as it is. I truthfully have no idea what the compression is yet, I have no idea what the true mileage is. The 383 im looking at comes from a manufacturer I know does quality work and not from a mass manufacturer. I'm guessing my engine has about 500lbs torque but the 383 has 465lbs. The 383 has exactly what I'm looking for and truthfully I don't want to take the time to clean, repair and paint the existing engine. Engine I'm shopping for:

Chevy_383_Extreme_900x900_643da51f-165c-419f-a2e7-cc837afcd59e_large.jpg

383_Extreme_large.jpg

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Roller cam 383 will cover a lot of mild big blocks. It’s not a bad choice (Ducks waiting for the bbc crowd to throw rocks)

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Downgrade from a used BB to a new 383?

My question was originally asked to determine what I "could" get for the engine as it is. I truthfully have no idea what the compression is yet, I have no idea what the true mileage is. The 383 im looking at comes from a manufacturer I know does quality work and not from a mass manufacturer. I'm guessing my engine has about 500lbs torque but the 383 has 465lbs. The 383 has exactly what I'm looking for and truthfully I don't want to take the time to clean, repair and paint the existing engine. Engine I'm shopping for:

View attachment 374055

View attachment 374056

that’s the engine my Dad and I put in the El Camino. With 3” exhaust and a tremec 5spd it’s pretty rowdy.

Greg72

#MIGHTASWELLK5
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Torque is where it's at with these big heavy trucks..... as much as you can get at the lowest RPM you can get, unless you want to spin your engine to the moon every time you want to feel some power.

@folkenheath helped me select a custom cam (red line) that really puts down the power and gives GOBS of torque way down in the low RPM range

BBC TQ.jpg

Looks like the 383 will give you at least 400Lbs across a pretty wide range of RPMs... so that should feel pretty strong. :waytogo:

-G

ZombieK5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
that’s the engine my Dad and I put in the El Camino. With 3” exhaust and a tremec 5spd it’s pretty rowdy.
I know the owner of Vintage Air and his family. They use Smeding for their resto makeovers and they recommend them. I'll go with their recommendations!

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I know the owner of Vintage Air and his family. They use Smeding for their resto makeovers and they recommend them. I'll go with their recommendations!

smedding was local to us before they moved to Texas and they had a good reputation within the local hot rod crowd. I remember my dad had some carb tuning issues unrelated to the engine they built and they took the time to adjust the carb for him. Good people all around.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
heads/cam/intake and wake that BBC up. Although I think Greg's graph is optimistic on the torque(probably more like 600 - 625 is realistic), it will still feel way more powerful than the SBC. I have driven and built several of both, the BBC will always feel more powerful than the SBC, even just tooling round, and even if you built them at the same power level.

Does that 383 have a cam for your application or just the same cam they put in every one? It sounds like they do quality work, I'm just not a fan of crate engines, the whole one size fits all thing.

ZombieK5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
heads/cam/intake and wake that BBC up. Although I think Greg's graph is optimistic on the torque(probably more like 600 - 625 is realistic), it will still feel way more powerful than the SBC. I have driven and built several of both, the BBC will always feel more powerful than the SBC, even just tooling round, and even if you built them at the same power level.

Does that 383 have a cam for your application or just the same cam they put in every one? It sounds like they do quality work, I'm just not a fan of crate engines, the whole one size fits all thing.
They will customize if requested. Ultimately I have no plans to climb the rocks at MOAB. I want a good looking K5, with the toys I prefer, and reliable. So far my ideas have been solid. Frame off resto (powder coat frame), new engine (383SB), new Tranny (TH400) and ORD 205 transfer case. New custom driveshafts and pretty much new body (or rebuilt from non rusted parts). Custom interior or maybe used Denali seats. If I can fit a rocket launcher or mini gun then that's great too!

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Oh I think your build is awesome, no question there, please take it as purely engine advice, nothing against your build at all. And climbing rocks at MOAB probably doesn't need much power anyway, it needs crawling. Spirited driving, sand, steep dirt hills, or mud would want more power.

Also nothing against a 383, I beat the snot out of a 388 for almost 20 years, no issues. I've also helped spec out parts for countless 383s, they are good engines.

I've just not seen anyone swap out a big block for a small block for a big boy toy that wasn't a lightweight road race setup or something. Usually they don't have a big block to begin with. You already have a nice serpentine drive for a BBC and its already in there. Just drop that off at a machine shop and have it rebuilt if you don't want to mess with it. A cam, heads, and long tubes could easily make 500-600 HP with over 600 lb'ft of torque for a good bit of that range and probably be cheaper and easier to drop right back in. And big blocks are very reliable, they even used them in dump trucks, motor homes, HD trucks, etc because they are heavy duty. I've had a mild BBC in our ski boat for 26 years now (been in the family that long). All I've done to it is change the oil, spark plugs, and rebuilt the carb a couple times over the years. And the BBC in my truck has been there for 12 years already.

Again, nothing against your build or a 383 SBC, they are great. But when you already have a BBC to play with, you just need to unleash it. I could even help you set it up for modern EFI drivetrain so it starts and drives more like a newer vehicle. Do you know what year/gen that block is(Mark IV, Gen V, or Gen VI?) Does it have a mechanical fuel pump boss on it?

With that said, I won't say any more unless you ask, it's your truck. Just trying to load you with information so you can make your own decision.

Last edited:

ZombieK5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh I think your build is awesome, no question there, please take it as purely engine advice, nothing against your build at all. And climbing rocks at MOAB probably doesn't need much power anyway, it needs crawling. Spirited driving, sand, steep dirt hills, or mud would want more power.

Also nothing against a 383, I beat the snot out of a 388 for almost 20 years, no issues. I've also helped spec out parts for countless 383s, they are good engines.

I've just not seen anyone swap out a big block for a small block for a big boy toy that wasn't a lightweight road race setup or something. Usually they don't have a big block to begin with. You already have a nice serpentine drive for a BBC and its already in there. Just drop that off at a machine shop and have it rebuilt if you don't want to mess with it. A cam, heads, and long tubes could easily make 500-600 HP with over 600 lb'ft of torque for a good bit of that range and probably be cheaper and easier to drop right back in. And big blocks are very reliable, they even used them in dump trucks, motor homes, HD trucks, etc because they are heavy duty. I've had a mild BBC in our ski boat for 26 years now (been in the family that long). All I've done to it is change the oil, spark plugs, and rebuilt the carb a couple times over the years. And the BBC in my truck has been there for 12 years already.

Again, nothing against your build or a 383 SBC, they are great. But when you already have a BBC to play with, you just need to unleash it. I could even help you set it up for modern EFI drivetrain so it starts and drives more like a newer vehicle. Do you know what year/gen that block is(Mark IV, Gen V, or Gen VI?) Does it have a mechanical fuel pump boss on it?

With that said, I won't say any more unless you ask, it's your truck. Just trying to load you with information so you can make your own decision.
I actively encourage spirited discussions like this. A big part of my decision is the desire to start with as much new stuff as possible. Most body parts are not available NEW so I'm stuck with aftermarket or gently used panels. I am spending a bunch of time on marketplaces collecring OEM body parts I can swap in. That being said, I have a big collection of new SB parts from a K5 I owned years ago. Also a new BB is much more than the 383 im looking at. Also, I am going to use purely mechanical means of fuel delivery. Short of the headlights, starter solenoid and Coil I won't have much else elecronic on the vehicle. The Vintage Air AC system will have some electronics but only open/close the mixing doors. Not doing anything EFI or computerized. Going as old school as possible without having to adjust points. So again, keep the spirited discussion going... It does help me make decisions.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
In that case, I doubt the 383 has a brand new block.

So if that is your criteria I can pick out and send you a rotating assembly to turn that 468 into a 496 for not too much money. I can plan the whole engine, you just drop it off at the machine shop and I'll send the parts there. You can have everything new if you want. Crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, timing set, cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, heads, etc. From intake to oil pan, turn key if you want, including ignition. I can even get you a USA made Edelbrock water pump to run with the serpentine system, and a new alternator from powermaster. Then just go to the parts store and get a new power steering pump and belt (and AC compressor if you want) it's all new. I see it already has a new tensioner, ha ha.

The TH400 and NP205 can take the big block, trust me, mine has for over a decade. Assuming you get a 34 element sprag, dual feed the direct clutch, and a decent shift kit is all.

I would have a lot more questions before I could do that though to make sure you were happy with the parts and how you would use everything.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

Based on the pics of the big block in question on page one I'm thinking that is a gen 6 Vortec. L29's lack any provision for oil fill on the valve covers since they have one at the front of the intake. It looks like there is a oil fill cap in the rear center of the driver side valve cover which is not normal.

The pic I was looking at was not focused on that side, but that is my assumption.

Now if it is gen 6 big block you have a really good setup there. A little bigger cam and heads and you'll have a real thumper. More than the 383.

Not that the 383 that is shown is a bad deal. Just pointing out it's a selling point if the big block is a gen 6 with the factory roller cam.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's why I asked if it had a mechanical fuel pump boss, I think Gen V left it out, and it's back on the Gen VI again. But I could be mistaken. Can't see the proper stuff to verify, could be a Mark IV with newer valve covers.

Top Bottom