CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

67 Shorty 8.1, 4l80 and more

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Capt Ron submitted a new Build

Overview​

Hello all, not a lot of high tech stuff or anything that probably has not been done before but it is what it is.

Day 1.... I was looking to start another another project so I went to look at a 55 COE on my lunch break in a storage yard about 1/2 mile from work. His price was a little too high so I asked if everything in the yard was for sale. 1st sidetrack, I found this ..

104_0591.JPG

104_0592.JPG

Notice the tape measure on the ground in the first pic?
This thing is long.
Hello all, this is actually a post build thread but I wanted to contribute something to the CK5 brotherhood. Not a lot of high tech stuff or anything that probably has not been done before but it is what it is.

Day 1.... I was looking to start another another project so I went to look at a 55 COE on my lunch break in a storage yard about 1/2 mile from work. His price was a little to high so I asked if everything in the yard was for sale. 1st sidetrack! I found this ..

View attachment 222596

View attachment 222601

Notice the tape measure on the ground in the first pic?
This baby is long!

Read more about this build here...

Last edited:

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
He wanted $800.00 I offered $600.00 and told him I could pick it up about 5:00.
With that I became the happy owner of a 1988 V30 ,no engine, bed or front clip. It did have a turbo 400 ,round pattern 205 transfer case, 60 front 14 rear, 4.56s!!
No cracks in the frame anywhere!

Last edited:

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Title was signed in the wrong place and p/o tried to convey where only dealers can, rusty floor boards and around base of windshield. Body is coming off and I started making plans to do a Willard type build in my head.

Got to work on it that night and by the time I left the shop to go home it looked like this.

View attachment 222599

104_0595.JPG

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Day 2... I ordered a bunch of stuff from ORD on my lunch break and then after work I started cutting and grinding rivet heads. After about 2 hours of rivet removal, some more measuring, and some more cutting I was ready to do something a bit different then most sane people.
Sorry for the blurry pics.

104_0600.JPG

104_0601.JPG

Last edited:

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Day 3... A little more cutting, some shackle flips from ORD, a LOT of drilling and a couple of brackets built and I had this. :eek: The humps over the rear shackle hangers were smoothed out later.

104_0603.JPG

104_0602.JPG

Then I changed the oil in the front and rear diffs, did some more scraping /cleaning /power washing and called it a night.

Last edited:

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Day 4 ... Surfing craigslist on my lunch break and found these.

104_0615.JPG
They are crazy heavy but the price was to good to pass up. Had to drive down to Pueblo after work to pick them up so by the time I got back to Arvada it was pretty late and I only got one mounted.

Last edited:

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Day 5 ..... After work I pulled it outside for some more cleaning and a little painting. Installed the other wheels and had to do some work to my DDs at home so not much done today.

104_0614.JPG

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Day 6 .... Saturday, so I came in and pulled the trans and transfer case out . Spent the rest of the day driving to Goodland Ks to look at a CC body for sale. I had to pass on it . It had a title and vin tag from a 1/2 ton truck. If I'm gonna build something from the ground up it's gotta have good #s

104_0658.JPG

Last edited:

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Day 7 ..... A day of rest.......NOT.... I was in Longmont by 7 am to pick up a 1980 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban. A lot of good parts and the engine {350} trans {turbo 400} and transfer case { slip yoke 205} will be used on this build. By 9 pm I had all of the parts off including the front and rear axles {44 and 14 bolt, 4.10 gears} that I will be installing in my sons K 10. Sorry no pics ,when I go tear down mode things move really quick . :hack::weld:

Last edited:

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
post #189 here STUBBY I did a bobbed frame like yours back in 09 . . .

and someone cut/stretched yours looks like in the middle .

I like the way its going :popcorn:

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
post #189 here STUBBY I did a bobbed frame like yours back in 09 . . .

and someone cut/stretched yours looks like in the middle .

I like the way its going :popcorn:
Good eye! Someone added 24", it looks like a good job though and there is fish plate inside the frame rail.

Last edited:

Capt Ron

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Day 8 ... After work I started cleaning, scraping, purple power {ing} and pressure washing the engine ,trans and t-case. I removed the a/c compressor and ps pump. I noticed it had the gaskets {oil pan,timing chain, intake and valve covers replaced at some point} so someone has at least resealed this engine. Who knows it may even have been rebuilt.
The Suburban I pulled the engine from had sat for over 12 years :eek: so I replaced the fuel pump and cleaned out the pump to carb line, pulled off the carb as I am sure it will need rebuilt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom