CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

78 K5 Build. It's the little things..

RubberFloorMat

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
RubberFloorMat submitted a new Build:

78 K5 Build. It's the little things..

Well here it is, picked it up two months ago. 78 K5, 6" lift decent Interco's on decent wheels. looks like a low mile engine, Th350 and Np205 10 bolt rear, 44 front.originally was black with red interior. Hadnt been tagged since 2013, got it for less than asking price. its actually quite straight, minor rust on floors and rockers under doors, nothing at all elsewhere, original sheetmetal everywhere, original bumpers.

There's some pretty bad wiring to include stereo and gauges etc, and the tranny burned up getting it home. This weekend the trans is coming out for a good performance rebuild.

View attachment 218154

View attachment 218155

View attachment 218156

View attachment 218157

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

RubberFloorMat

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
plans include making it a reliable driver, fixing all the annoying minor issues. Its had the interior floor sprayed with liner, but it looks like shit and needs some rust repair anyway. Long term plans include Painless wiring harness, Vintage Air AC, and either standalone EFI or a engine swap.

i dont have much expendable income (work for a small city) and have to beg lift time and garage space. it needs everything little. Basically except for the tires, lift and shitty paint job, its all original. but it seems to run good, no sign of accident or serious hacking.

Last edited:

RubberFloorMat

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Trans is out. Rear seal blew and put fluid into the transfer case. Just needs master kit and probably the rear pump.

Ordering parts Monday. Where to get seals for the NP203?

IMG_2130.JPG

Phil513

Freakin' Sponge
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Congrats on saving the roundeye! Looks like it's going to be some work, glad you are getting after it!

RubberFloorMat

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Brown Santa arrived this evening, the seals and such for the np203 should be here tomorrow.

All new internals
Transgo shift kit
Heavy duty converter
Vette servo
Modulator.

4door99

Still not allowed in the Jeeper club.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Nice find! I've always loved that round headlight era for the K5's . But are you sure you got a NP203? That's a NP205 in the photo above.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a 205, which most likely isn't original to the truck.

RubberFloorMat

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I was replying to a buddy about a 203 and somehow transposed that on here. Yeah it's a 205.

I seriously doubt it's a 383, it's got goodwrench valvecovers but not that dirty? I bought it from a guy who got in trade and didn't want it. It's got a black painted Edelbrock intake and a 1406 carb.

It starts up and runs good but I've only driven it about half a block, the brakes are gone etc. it had been sitting since 2012 so it needs maintenance on everything. Luckily that's pretty cheap.

RubberFloorMat

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Also it's a th350, I called the guy on it when negotiating about it probably not having a 383 either, so I got her a bit cheaper than he wanted and then he also updated the three year out of date tag. So the way I see it, I paid about 1200 all together.

I'm gonna grab some pics today, gonna go to the shop and get the case clean, get ready for assembly of the trans.

RubberFloorMat

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Painted up. I didn't go crazy since it's not a show price but I wanted it cleaned up a bit either way.

A few roloc discs, some hi temp and boom

IMG_2213.JPG

RubberFloorMat

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
It's done

HD converter
Best clutches I could find, extra steels, transgo shift kit, replaced everything but hard parts, got the crossmember blasted and ready for paint. Need some u-joints and a dipstick grommet and she's ready to slam back in. Factory mounts were like jelly so I'll be sourcing some, probably polyurethane.

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

Top Bottom