Blazer Bash 2020 thoughts and updated info. See post 79

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by ktmoutfront, Jul 14, 2020.

1. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    A little more information for all Blazer Bash attendees.

I am required by the State of Utah to put together a Covid-19 plan.

Every attendee will need to follow the State of Utah Covid-19 guidelines. They will be posted at the park on Friday morning and for the BBQ if we can have it. Working with the City of Moab on this issue. The state is saying no groups over 50 people.

Every attendee, except for chaperoned minors, will be required to sign a release of liability form which will be provided when the lawyer gets done with it.

If the time for the event arrives and you are feeling ill or are running a fever of 100.4 or higher, you are not allowed to attend per state guidelines. If you have registered and can not attend because of a last-minute illness, contact me through a PM or my cell. 719-433-8810. If we talk on the phone or text, I will also need something in writing to pass on Bent77 and to prove to the DOI/BLM why we are not paying trail fees for that registrant. E-mail to blazerbash@gmail.com.

If you can not attend due to illness, we will refund your registration fees minus the t-shirts and shipping cost for them, if you ordered any.

On a personal note…..

You can ask basic questions here as someone else may need the same clarification.

No political comments will be tolerated in this thread. None. Zero.

No commenting on other members who may decide not to go for personal reasons.

I am going to try to make this event work. If I get push back or negative comments, I will be done forever. If you could see what is going on behind the curtain, you would understand why I get under 3 hours of sleep a night.

On the financial side of this event…

I have been reluctant to put this out there. But here it goes.

After each event, I have work sheets that I must fill out for the number of trucks and passengers on each trail each day. These are submitted to the DOI/BLM and The Utah State Lands trust for final event tally bills. Then I write those checks.

In January I reserve the Old City Park and write a check. I also reserve our dates for Blazer Bash with DOI/BLM. Another check written. In the past I had to front that money personally and get reimbursed as registrations rolled in.. After BB19 there was enough left over to pay it out of Trail Productions, Inc. So, I was going into this year thinking we were ahead of the game.

Nope. Not going to be easy.

I order the Insurance required by the DOI/BLM and The Utah State Lands trust on July 1st. This check is then due by August 1st, and it is a doosey. Biggest expense we have. We cannot put on the event without it. This year DOI/BLM has asked for terrorist insurance.????? In past years I said no. Not an option now.

The Utah State lands permit deposit is also due on August 1st. So, another check goes out.

Normally the insurance and State Lands permit are paid out of the current year registration fees.

If the event does not happen due to the State of Utah or Grand County shutting down, we are going to refund your registrations minus your t-shirt orders and the shipping costs. Bent77 will love doing this.

I hope this does not happen for a few reasons.

First, I want to see everyone and enjoy time with like minded people.

Second, I will be personally out a couple thousand dollars. Another reason why I have not been sleeping.

Third, there will not be any more Blazer Bashes put on by me. I cannot afford this. The first year I took it over, I had to add funds. Last year paid for itself with a little left over. I was looking forward to cruising along this year.

I am telling all of you this so there are not any surprises down the road. The stress in dealing with his has been nuts. Phone calls and emails eating up valuable work time as they need to be during work hours. I am exhausted and it is still 9 weeks away.

So the take away from this is..
    I am going to work as if the event is happening and spending the necessary funds.
    The only way the event is canceled is if the state or city shut down.
    You all will get your shirts.
    I may lose mine.

Thanks for letting me rant.

2. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    We will not be removing cancelled names from the list. That way no one but us will know. Also, it is how we keep track of the shirts.

AugustDiesel and Fastereddie like this.
  3. Bent77

Bent77 lil meanie Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    We appreciate your patience in working through this. Wade and I spend about 3 hours a day on the phone at this point, mostly playing the shell game due to C19

4. Desert_K5

Desert_K5 1/2 ton status Vendor

Build(s):
    Do they do the mask thing? Thank you for all the work you guys do so us degenerates can wheel.

5. Bent77

Bent77 lil meanie Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    There’s a whole plan that has to be in writing

AugustDiesel and Fastereddie like this.
  6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    The mask thing is not state wide yet it's only Salt Lake City wide. As in mandating that you wear them.

7. Desert_K5

Desert_K5 1/2 ton status Vendor

Build(s):
    Wade & Mark. When you have time (I know) let me know what I can do on the shirts to help out price wise. We should be able to work something out so the BB ends up more in the black. I have an idea.

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Big shout out to Mark and Wade for taking this on. I know how difficult it can be in normal times, it's unbelievably difficult now!

9. Fastereddie

Fastereddie Sorry if I offended you. Not. Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    No doubt! Thank all of you so much for trying to make this happen. I know I speak for everyone here when I say THANK YOU!

10. r3dd0g

r3dd0g 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
  11. fastazz81

fastazz81 Gnome recovery vehicle Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Thanks for all the hard work.

12. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  13. Truckman4life

Truckman4life 3/4 Ton Status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I haven't been down that way but my county which boarders Grand County(Moab) and the next one over have been insane with the amount of outdoor activity this year. I think mostly due to businesses being closed and people off work looking for stuff to do. You cannot find places to camp anywhere in the mtns when in normal years it is just a matter of driving up and find a place to park. I'm assuming Moab is slam packed with people. For those that worry there haven't been hardly any cases in our rural side of the state. Grand County currently shows 28 cases with 10 active and 18 recovered and only 1 hospitalized.

76zimmer likes this.
  14. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should not have to eat the cost if the event gets canceled. You have already put out so much trying to put on the event. If for any reason the event gets canceled you can keep my registration fees. It is a small price for me compared to what you have invested in the event and I appreciate it.
    Brent.

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think most would understand a policy change to at least a portion of the registration fees being non refundable, especially now. The very thought that the volunteer that makes this event happen would have to bear any cost will kill the event. It would suck for a participant to commit to this with a registration fee and then find out they can't come for any reason but the non refundable expenses don't care. Realistically, unless you live really close, the registration fees are pretty minor in comparison to the time off, food, lodging, fuel and other expenses involved.

Everything is weird and hard to deal with right now. Maybe a good way to think about this is to just be surprised it's not weirder and harder. Or just cancelled.

16. Chevman88

Chevman88 I don't know what I'm doing Premium Member

Hell, even for us close guys the registration fees are minor in comparison. Especially if you consider the cost of other similar events. I don't mind having at least a portion of the fees (if not all of them) be non-refundable. You shouldn't have to bear any of the cost of this event.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  17. Fastereddie

Build(s):
    I definitly dont want any money back.

18. Fastereddie

Build(s):
    Hell, even IF BB got cancelled, i’ll still be there. My cabin has been reserved since last year, and i’m already off for those days. I’ll just do hot laps up and down the street lol!

19. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    The part about not having a set policy or process right now is the hardest. I am always OK with just winging things for myself. But when I have committed to other people, I go beyond type A OCD trying to make sure everything goes smooth. So not knowing if we have a city to go to, is beyond my comprehension.

The cabin reservations will be canceled if the state, county or city reverse the process.

AugustDiesel likes this.
  20. skunked

skunked phat block slush machine Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Every damn event here in commiefornia has been cancelled, they simply can not afford the liability of organizing a social event.

I work in the special event and entertainment industry so I know first hand what you’re going through Wade (and others). I’m traveling to an event in a couple weeks which should be an interesting learning experience for all involved.

AugustDiesel and 76zimmer like this.