CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Blazer Bash 2022 general discussion thread.

ktmoutfront

You are an idiot. Whoever you are
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We need people to step up to lead trails. Everyone wants to do things their way, but won't take on the responsibility of being in charge of a group.

If there have been complaints, this is the first I have heard of any.

What I enjoy is getting so many different ability rigs through the same trail. Seeing what works great and what just gets through. But we have never left a truck on a trail.

K5Jimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I've convinced the wife to let me make the trip. She seems to think my jimmy will totally fall apart because I've been dicking with it for the 21 years I've known her. Told her I was dicking with it for 5 years before that. (Current k5) and I'll be dicking with it when I get back.

I've never been to moab, never been on rocks, makes this kinda bucket list stuff for some of us that live on another part of the planet. Of course, I gotta drive my pile o' parts home. Told the wife that help is all along the way.

I'm aware that many times the fantasy of such a trip may be much different from the reality, but, you don't know til you know, ya know? Have I mentioned that my trip plan has been sponsored by Jose Cuervo?

Fastereddie

Sorry if I offended you. Not.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I have no complaints about being behind someone slow. Or trying to keep up with someone fast. My personal problem is I don’t like being tied to a group. I’m a loner. I Offroad like a tourist. Slow, then hey look at that! Zoom! Wait. Let’s have a beer haha. Ok let’s go. I’m bi-polar ocd anti social sometimes social fruitcake haha. I come to blazer bash to relax and unwind.
I can just hang out and bs with people and never even wheel and have just as great a time. Basically, I love it no matter what I do. I wish I was on my way back there right now!

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have no complaints about being behind someone slow. Or trying to keep up with someone fast. My personal problem is I don’t like being tied to a group. I’m a loner. I Offroad like a tourist. Slow, then hey look at that! Zoom! Wait. Let’s have a beer haha. Ok let’s go. I’m bi-polar ocd anti social sometimes social fruitcake haha. I come to blazer bash to relax and unwind.
I can just hang out and bs with people and never even wheel and have just as great a time. Basically, I love it no matter what I do. I wish I was on my way back there right now!
This is why I had no problem with my truck sitting at camp even though I tried to get it to work.

the_blaze

Nightmare / Plan B
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If I may, I want to bring up a subject that has apparently been a problem for an unknown number of years. Does anyone has some input about how to deal with the mismatch of trucks AND driving styles?
What I am referring to is the fact that there are highly modified trucks and close to stock trucks. So often there are ones who can and like to go faster, while there are some who prefer to go slower and enjoy a slower pace. I get the impression that both can feel imposed upon by the opposite style of driver. I thought that we were all showing up in a group, at a set date, to be meet new people or recreate with some people whom we have only talked to on the internet. This may not be the idea for everyone, as we are all different people. Good thing, isn't it?

I have watched a truck, two trucks ahead of me, drive off out of sight. I have also had to wait for the truck behind me to catch up, because we have been told every time, to wait for everybody, don't leave someone behind.

I am not trying to place ANY sort of blame to anyone. We just need to find a way to say crap to each other, and respect each other's choices. We have all built trucks that suit ourselves and our styles. There are guys who show up who have lots of experience with offroad driving, but there are guys who don't do it like the next guy, (probably are frickin smart as hell about something else in this world) and are trying to have fun at their own pace offroad. I have found that there is a diversity of those who attend Blazer Bash, and they should all have a blast while there!

I don't think that one guy should feel imposed upon by waiting for someone, nor do I want someone to feel left behind.

Would more, but smaller groups be a good idea? Maybe the total number of trucks on the trail is 16, but split into two groups of equal OR dissimilar sizes.

Either way, I hope that we can discuss any sh!t that arises.
This comes up every year it seems maybe not in the bigger public forum but in people's threads... I have seen a couple trails with a group A and a group B (Pritchett comes to mind) and it works well for that trail especially because they have two different groups that KNOW they have very different driving styles and it is discussed well in advance what group will go at what pace.

Where the A/B group becomes a problem from my viewpoint is blazer bash has always had a less than easy time finding trail leaders and tail gunners. Let's say we have 8 trail options today and we break those into 2 groups. Now you have 16 trails and you need 32 volunteers vs 16... I think that's the biggest sticking point.

Next I think you would need permits for two different groups unless one group isn't "blazer bash official " (not condoning this and I'm making an assumption here) .

One thing that helps is having minimum equipment requirements for vehicles to hit specific harder trails. This does not account for driving style or driver ability so it is not a guarantee fix all. (I have seen a vehicle that just wasn't ready for a trail denied access and it was an excellent call, he would have killed it for everyone)

Something else I always think about is each year we have new folks show up that may not even know what their style is yet... Sometimes their rigs are really capable but they are unsure of their skills or they have a more stock truck but they just happen to be great drivers so it would be hard for them to really judge what group to be in. If a new person falls into the slow category and they get left by the hotrod guys that wouldn't be a great look for blazer bash and I'd feel horrible if they got lost on the trail. I agree having open dialog about this is a great idea. I have a personal example of a group that was rushing our group through a trail and for years that group rubbed me the wrong way because I thought they were pushy (their approach to speeding up the group came across rude. Don't worry I really like them now :wink:). I get that it's hard to have that conversation if someone or some group needs to pick up the pace but I think setting expectations at the drivers meeting and FRIENDLY encouragement is likely the best thing we can do. Oh and sticking with minimum vehicle equipment requirements for specific HARDER trails :wink:

It's a hard spot and I understand exactly what you are saying.

Thanks for attending my Ted talk.

Last edited:

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
New rules out from DOI/BLM have a maximum number of rigs per trail per day. If 2 groups are running the same trail, there must be a 3 hour gap between start times. Rediculous. We did not meet the requirements last year. They came out 2 weeks before the event.

There will not be any unofficial runs next year. If it is discussed on CK5.COM for planning purposes, it will be made official. Showing for one trail and the BBQ is not cool if you are running trails the other days. Posting pictures on CK5.COM of "unofficial" runs can get our permits pulled.

If i get wind of this happening next year, you will be asked not to attend. The posts on CK5 will be deleated. If you have already signed up for a day or 2, you will forfeit your registration. I will not allow a couple of people to put the entire event in jeopardy.

If you don't like the trails offered, it is your fault, because we always ask for sugestuons long before the event. A few people make suggestions, many bitch about it later.

My rant as i fight covid is over.

fourwheelerjeff

Jeff's Offroad Emporium
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never been to moab, never been on rocks, makes this kinda bucket list stuff for some of us that live on another part of the planet. Of course, I gotta drive my pile o' parts home. Told the wife that help is all along the way.

I'm aware that many times the fantasy of such a trip may be much different from the reality, but, you don't know til you know, ya know? Have I mentioned that my trip plan has been sponsored by Jose Cuervo?

might be able to caravan with some people instead of running alone on the way there and back.

K5Jimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can go thru Kansas or Oklahoma. I'm leaning Kansas. Gotta research a place to stay with ac as a single. I know the earlier the better.

I don't have a clue as far as trails. I'm a tourist. I may not fit in with all the young folks and I sure don't want to be in the way.

My dr. offered up some advice that adds clarity. He told me I'm at an age that I will only become more feeble. That's the incentive to get off my azz while I still can. I will be 73 by bb date. I consider that I'm running out of time sooner than most all of y'all.

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Our goal is that everyone has fun and goes home with a complete rig. If you drive it there, we understand that there will be limits. I'm not sure how many drive there, but it has to be at least 50%. What confuses most newbies, is when they are told to follow me. Not a straight panel on the truck. But that is my issue to deal with. After the first 2, it was "oh well". I am usually the days entertainment. Because just looking at scenery gets old after a while.

the_blaze

Nightmare / Plan B
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
New rules out from DOI/BLM have a maximum number of rigs per trail per day. If 2 groups are running the same trail, there must be a 3 hour gap between start times. Rediculous. We did not meet the requirements last year. They came out 2 weeks before the event.

There will not be any unofficial runs next year. If it is discussed on CK5.COM for planning purposes, it will be made official. Showing for one trail and the BBQ is not cool if you are running trails the other days. Posting pictures on CK5.COM of "unofficial" runs can get our permits pulled.

If i get wind of this happening next year, you will be asked not to attend. The posts on CK5 will be deleated. If you have already signed up for a day or 2, you will forfeit your registration. I will not allow a couple of people to put the entire event in jeopardy.

If you don't like the trails offered, it is your fault, because we always ask for sugestuons long before the event. A few people make suggestions, many bitch about it later.

My rant as i fight

I didn't know they had changed the rules on group spacing. That makes sense why another group just announced they aren't splitting trails up each day anymore.

Truckman4life

3/4 Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure which way it will go or how it will effect things but I saw moab got a new mayor. She's part of some environmental groups.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I am thinking that having the group all stage together, then just decide if they want to be subdivided slightly could work? This would keep in the design of the permit?However, I honestly think that it will only work on trails that aren't out and back, to avoid traffic in both directions. A loop of some kind would be needed.

And I have never volunteered to lead or run tailgunner before, because I have felt like somewhat of a newb myself. My first year with the old blue '72 was a huge step up in truck capability. I had to explain that to a few people, that my son and I had never wheeled a truck that would do what the '72 was capable of. And I am still learning, even with this newer truck. So I get wary about others relying on me. Just my personal view. I will work on being more helpful. And I need to purchase a better two-way radio.

I have exact idea of who, what or when something may have been said or not, I wanted to discuss this openly to help keep the family and friends attitude going.

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'll say this afa volunteering goes. If you can, just go for it. I've been on plenty of trails where the leader said up front "I'm new too, best with me" and everyone was very understanding.
Last year was my first time leading and it didn't go perfectly, but I should have stepped up years earlier tbh.

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I lead a trail in moab my 3rd year there. But I have always been OK with heading out somewhere that I have never been with a group of people behind me. It started with bicycles as a kid. Jet ski's, boats, motorcycles and wheeling seemed normal.

Have we been lost? Yep. Did we all gave fun. Most days. On motorcycles in the desert, especially on what are now the "Hammer" trails, we barely had the energy to ride back to camp.

I am glad I have done all of it.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I know I forget to keep an eye out on the vehicle behind me. I'm pretty good about remembering at intersections. I don't get irritated with anyone's speed but I feel like an ass when I forget to keep an eye on the vehicle behind me and lose sight of them for longer than I should. Otherwise the only time at Blazer Bash I care about pace is Friday getting to the BBQ.

I can echo what others have said, the number one issue is volunteers to lead trails. Remember events like Easter Jeep have an entire club to help out.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Most times I've led trails, it was my first time running it. Everyone that's been with me before is just waiting for the 1 mandatory "we took a wrong turn, everyone head back the way we just came!" :haha: I know it's become a running joke.

Just a word for anyone like @K5Jimmy debating about making their first trip to Moab, don't put it off. I understand it's a difficult journey but read the posts above about the ever changing rules and politics in the Moab area. Those trails may not be open in the future if a lot of people have their way. I hope I'm wrong, but it's hard not to feel like we're outnumbered and things are being stacked against us.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Having a couple of BB events under my belt, I'm squarely in the middle as far as ability as a driver and with the truck. I don't mind being on the same trail with more capable and less capable rugs.

I think what Wade had me and @Capt Ron do on our first BB trail in our Crawlabago's was the smartest thing we could have done. We were on Hell's Revenge and he split us up and had us follow a more experienced/capable driver/truck. Basically not wanting both of us to make the same mistake possibly. One instruction was given though, we may not always want to take the same line as the more capable rugs in front of us. Wade called out the less extreme line for us as we got to them.

Here's the thing, I've done a lot of wheeling in my truck and know the limits better than anybody. But full on Moab slickrock I wasn't used to at all. So the pride side of me didn't want to have any restrictions to go play, but the realistic side of me understood I didn't want to be "that guy" and have a problem and ruin it for the rest of the group.

Stuff happens on the trail for sure but being able to limit the possibility for the sake of the group is needed. That can be swallowing a little bit of pride If you are new to Moab and letting the trail boss know if your experience is lacking or the truck doesn't have the same level of gear as the rest. At least knowing that the leader can make sure the lesser experienced guy can be put with a more experienced person to walk them through stuff.

Initial perceptions of people seeing my rug out on the trail is there's no way it can it can wheel like a K5 without the camper. Yes mine has a little different limitations due to the CG, but it can still do quite a bit. Wade even commented to me after my first one he was surprised how well we both did with the campers.

My feeling on the more capable guys/trucks is that they will want to do the tougher trails because it matches the ability they have. So the need for trail choices that fit the abilities of all are important. Which is where we all come in, speak up when the discussion comes up here for trail choices. I made a late decision to go this year but it was pretty obvious the trail choices for Saturday were over my ability or could tear the truck up. Mark and Wade made the suggestion if I wanted to do a tamer ride on Saturday pick one and I could lead it. I've lead my group of buddies on weeklong trips off road before so doing a day run didn't bother me at all. It was a very easy day on the trail, but we had a really wide span of trucks from Ron's crawler on giant swampers to a bone stock K5 with a camper on 31" tires. Most of us never shifted out of 2hi but the stock truck needed 4lo for a couple of the minor steep climbs we had to navigate. We all had a fun time saw some really epic sights and had a great day on the trail.

One other thing ties into this is communication. It would be great if everyone had the right radio to be able to stay in contact to make sure all are making the right turns but also letting folks up front know if there is a problem back in the pack somewhere. The ability to have the leader call out easier lines for the lesser experienced drivers could save time for sure.

Bottom line is BB is our event. Participate in the planning of trails, volunteer for trail leader/mid/tailgunner spots if you can. Get a radio so you can talk on the trail. If you are new, speak up. I've never been in any type of car/truck based event where everyone is so welcoming and helpful to the new guys.

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
You guys have really screwed my life up. I try not to deal with BB for November and December.

Mark and I discussed a couple of things last night by accident. The conversation just evolved to BB.

Today, I received 2 very official government envelopes. Both from the Department of the Interior/Bureau of Land Management. First one I opened was the receipt from the BB 2021 permit final check. The second one was the bill for the deposit for BB 2022. That one normally shows up in January. I guess they are trying to get as many of the non-refundable deposits to them as they can. Has to be in by 12-03-21. Will go out in the mail Monday. Paypal is down to $19. Checking account has $230 left over. $110 of that will go to paying for the park in January.

So the minute someone brings up the event, it just snowballs.

My head hurts already.

Top Bottom