CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Carnage 2021

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Definitely getting close to time for a replacement fender. All the twisting on Pritchett did a number on it.

20210913_084523.jpg

I had vibration the next day after Pritchett. At first I was chalice it up to the tires still being aired down. I kept thinking it sounded like I had messed up the driveshaft, but I had already checked it for rock rash and it was clean.

I looked closer and found this:

20210913_075015.jpg
2 of 4 bolts missing from the CV flange. Glad I caught it! A trip to True Value in Moab and I got the bolts, split washers, and blue loctite to fix it for the drive home.

And this happened on the about 50 miles out of Moab.

858.jpeg

Luckily Nate & Jason were following. Second time I've run the 40 gal tank dry. But I'm pretty sure I've figured out I'm not getting the tank full. There's not enough slope on the filler tube.

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Since we’re all in the trust tree.

2FD65CC8-342A-4230-96F8-DA471B1D011E.jpeg

6AA97EBA-1E81-4FC0-A565-C12C63A89676.jpeg

Attempting to avoid the rock that would go on to damage the quarter and tail light, I also did a bit of sculpting on the rear shaft. It finished the trail, and I swapped to the spare at the top of yellow hill.

David

nvrenuf

I grind my welds.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Tires and wheel bearings are my greatest fear (probably everyone) if I ever get to go to a BB.

Truckman4life

3/4 Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely getting close to time for a replacement fender. All the twisting on Pritchett did a number on it.

View attachment 389961

I had vibration the next day after Pritchett. At first I was chalice it up to the tires still being aired down. I kept thinking it sounded like I had messed up the driveshaft, but I had already checked it for rock rash and it was clean.

I looked closer and found this:

View attachment 389962
2 of 4 bolts missing from the CV flange. Glad I caught it! A trip to True Value in Moab and I got the bolts, split washers, and blue loctite to fix it for the drive home.

And this happened on the about 50 miles out of Moab.

View attachment 389960

Luckily Nate & Jason were following. Second time I've run the 40 gal tank dry. But I'm pretty sure I've figured out I'm not getting the tank full. There's not enough slope on the filler tube.
I always watch my gallons. I was just informed by a guy I work with the other day that I should watch all the farm trucks with flatbeds around here cuz he says they mostly all carry a block on the bed to drive up on when fueling. Lol. You need a block!

r3dd0g

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I always watch my gallons. I was just informed by a guy I work with the other day that I should watch all the farm trucks with flatbeds around here cuz he says they mostly all carry a block on the bed to drive up on when fueling. Lol. You need a block!
My relocated S-10 tank is a pain to get filled as well, always helps to be pointed downhill.

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sit back and I will tell you a tale about a fateful trip. To bad Marian wasn't along. (The young version.)

Its a long one. I am still not home. Still 6 hours to go and the windiest and hilliest section. So I stopped.

When I was first given the Hard Luck trophy, I new I did not deserve it. My flop was on Thursday, before the event. And only dented my door, broke the mirror and the wind wing glass. No big deal. Bu before that, we had to tighten the 4 transfer case adapter bolts, that I tightened before I left. Noticed the front pinion seal was leaking. Steve noticed that the top of the yoke had more clearance than the bottom. With Marks socket and Steve’s impact, I uga dugged it back on and chiseled the threads.

Friday was uneventful leading Backwards Bill Backwards. I know Scott will say it is forwards.

After the BBQ, we were sitting in the townhouse talking. Phil poured more water into his tumbler. Took a drink and spit water all over. Got stung on his lip by the wasp that had been in the cup from the BBQ. This was at 10pm. Went to bed with Advil and an ice pack. At 11pm he knocks on my door. I did not expect to see a chipmunk standing there with his checks full. Holy Crap he was swelling up. I now know where the ER is. They shot him up with meds and send him back. About 12:30am when we got back.

Saturday was a fun day getting to the Golden Crack on Crack N Back. Large group of 18 trucks. Still got there by 11:30 am.

Headed out at 12:30 because @Steven wanted ice cream by 2pm. He was denied due to a Z71 blowing up a front diff and everyone else being in the way. We were just wheeling, and he is great to have as a tail gunner.

Then the breakage on the Jimmy happened. On a drop off ledge, I had the wheels turned too much as the front dropped. BANG!!!!!!!! Why won’t the steering wheel recenter to the same place? I could steer. It was just all over at center. Stopped to check it.

Phil stopped to see what was up. Left his Jeep running on what he must have thought was flat ground. Nope. It started rolling. He reached in to grab the parking brake and knocked it into first gear. The Atlas in 4:1 and the Jeep in 1st gear ran him into a bush with the left rear tire. Scraped him up a lot. My older brother, for some reason thought he could grab the top of the tire to stop it from rolling. He did not know it was now in gear. I jumped up and turned the key off.

Back under the Jimmy, my brother turns the steering wheel and I watch he sector shaft go clunk, multiple times. But it was still steering on the hydro assist, so I drove it out. Ran down the highway at 50 mph and drove fine. Stopped at O’Wronglies to see if they had a box. Nope. But Clarks did. Steering wheel had a new center after pulling into the parking lot.

I ported the top and end caps on the old box so I could swap them out if this ever happened. New box sector shaft adjuster threads are now metric. So, no cap swap. Pulled the hydro assist ram and hoses off the truck. Good to go.

Sunday, I start out leading Metal Masher. Nice day. Good group of people and rigs. Just before the trail turn off on the mesa, the Jimmy shuts off and comes back on about 5 times before completely dying. Zero electrical power. The brand-new battery had the threads pull out of the positive side post. Phil had a top post adapter and we got it back together and running. The group continued as we fixed it.

We hot footed it to catch the group. @r3ddog seemed OK with not leading. So, I went out front.

A mile later the Jimmy planted its feet and would not move. Cranked, but no run. I could not hear the fuel pump. I told the group to continue and My brother and Phil stayed behind.

First thing we checked was fuses. All were good. Next, we pulled the spare tire out. This is where things went south in a hurry. If the tire is lifted, it comes out easier. I was standing on the tailgate lifting. Warren pulls the spare out all the way. My foot was in front of it. Right foot slides off the tailgate before I could react. Down I went. Left foot up in the air, flat on my back on the Moab red rocks. Massive pain in my right hip and shoulder. I thought, “well, this is where I die”.

Nope. I open my eyes and see sun and sky. Phil grabbed the back of my head as I went down, so I was spared that pain. Look over and Warrens right hand and arm are bleeding a lot. Bead lock bolts got him. Wrapped it up and got back to work.

We did not have power at the pump for the prime at key on. Checked at the relay. Nothing feeding it. I tried the jumper on the relay and nothing. We are scratching our heads. I remove the relay and try to direct feed to the pump. Nothing still.

We bypass everything and jump the pump to the compressor feed. Still no pump?????????

Pull the pump and find it is not working. Put a new pump in. test it hot wired and it works. Put all the wiring back to factory and it does not prime??????????? Still no power to the pump. So the jumper wire to the compressor is put back in. Now we have fuel.

Put everything away. The Jimmy cranks, fuel pump is running nonstop, engine will not fire. Start checking ECM fuses again. I blew one wen I was hot wiring the relay feed.

It starts and runs. We made our way back into town to call mit a day.

Pool and hot tub were required.

Phil grilled up a tri-tip and made a salad. A couple of beers were had and we loaded up.

The carnage was finished.

Or so I thought.

In the middle of nowhere Texas on the 40fwy. Monday afternoon. Cruising at 65mph. I hear a faint grinding noise. Nothing specific and very intermittent. I pull of at the next exit. Climb under the hood to listen. Nothing.

Back on the road it is a little bit louder and more consistent. I pull off at the next exit and temp check the entire front end. Sound like a bearing growl. Left front corner, but I check it all. Everything is consistently at 110* or so. I pulled the serp belt off and spun everything by hand. But I knew that was useless because it was not RPM related.

Back on the freeway, noise is getting louder and constant. Gets louder when I turn either direction. At this point I know it has to be a hub bearing or u-joint. I pull off for the 3rd time in 50 miles. Still nothing hot. I am scratching my head.

Back on the freeway, the noise is getting worse. And when I go through a g-out, the noise changes when the truck loads the front axle. Now I know it is a hub bearing, drivers’ side. Crap.

So I pull off at the next exit and pull onto the bridge facing north. I am rolling around under the front and back of the axle trying to see if something is obvious. That is when I notice that the tire is polished, shinny. What in the world?

The tread is glistening in the sun. My first thought is that is must be scuffing going down the road. No. I would be rough. I roll out from under the truck like only a fat man can. I am looking down at the shinny tire. That is when I see it.

The inner fender clips had broke or something and the inner fender was blowing back against the tire. When parked, it was back in the correct location. There is a large U-shaped section missing.

One zip tie later, I was back on the road.

20210913_162710[1].jpg

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I checked the wheel bearing temps on my last run. 3 axles the right sides were @ 10° hotter than the left the 3 x I checked. Do you see that ?
Glad the hub bearing could be fixed with a zip tie :waytogo:

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I thought you were checking trailer temps. Rear housings should be around 150* when towing or loaded down. 120* unloaded.

4door99

Still not allowed in the Jeeper club.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sit back and I will tell you a tale about a fateful trip. To bad Marian wasn't along. (The young version.)

Its a long one. I am still not home. Still 6 hours to go and the windiest and hilliest section. So I stopped.

When I was first given the Hard Luck trophy, I new I did not deserve it. My flop was on Thursday, before the event. And only dented my door, broke the mirror and the wind wing glass. No big deal. Bu before that, we had to tighten the 4 transfer case adapter bolts, that I tightened before I left. Noticed the front pinion seal was leaking. Steve noticed that the top of the yoke had more clearance than the bottom. With Marks socket and Steve’s impact, I uga dugged it back on and chiseled the threads.

Friday was uneventful leading Backwards Bill Backwards. I know Scott will say it is forwards.

After the BBQ, we were sitting in the townhouse talking. Phil poured more water into his tumbler. Took a drink and spit water all over. Got stung on his lip by the wasp that had been in the cup from the BBQ. This was at 10pm. Went to bed with Advil and an ice pack. At 11pm he knocks on my door. I did not expect to see a chipmunk standing there with his checks full. Holy Crap he was swelling up. I now know where the ER is. They shot him up with meds and send him back. About 12:30am when we got back.

Saturday was a fun day getting to the Golden Crack on Crack N Back. Large group of 18 trucks. Still got there by 11:30 am.

Headed out at 12:30 because @Steven wanted ice cream by 2pm. He was denied due to a Z71 blowing up a front diff and everyone else being in the way. We were just wheeling, and he is great to have as a tail gunner.

Then the breakage on the Jimmy happened. On a drop off ledge, I had the wheels turned too much as the front dropped. BANG!!!!!!!! Why won’t the steering wheel recenter to the same place? I could steer. It was just all over at center. Stopped to check it.

Phil stopped to see what was up. Left his Jeep running on what he must have thought was flat ground. Nope. It started rolling. He reached in to grab the parking brake and knocked it into first gear. The Atlas in 4:1 and the Jeep in 1st gear ran him into a bush with the left rear tire. Scraped him up a lot. My older brother, for some reason thought he could grab the top of the tire to stop it from rolling. He did not know it was now in gear. I jumped up and turned the key off.

Back under the Jimmy, my brother turns the steering wheel and I watch he sector shaft go clunk, multiple times. But it was still steering on the hydro assist, so I drove it out. Ran down the highway at 50 mph and drove fine. Stopped at O’Wronglies to see if they had a box. Nope. But Clarks did. Steering wheel had a new center after pulling into the parking lot.

I ported the top and end caps on the old box so I could swap them out if this ever happened. New box sector shaft adjuster threads are now metric. So, no cap swap. Pulled the hydro assist ram and hoses off the truck. Good to go.

Sunday, I start out leading Metal Masher. Nice day. Good group of people and rigs. Just before the trail turn off on the mesa, the Jimmy shuts off and comes back on about 5 times before completely dying. Zero electrical power. The brand-new battery had the threads pull out of the positive side post. Phil had a top post adapter and we got it back together and running. The group continued as we fixed it.

We hot footed it to catch the group. @r3ddog seemed OK with not leading. So, I went out front.

A mile later the Jimmy planted its feet and would not move. Cranked, but no run. I could not hear the fuel pump. I told the group to continue and My brother and Phil stayed behind.

First thing we checked was fuses. All were good. Next, we pulled the spare tire out. This is where things went south in a hurry. If the tire is lifted, it comes out easier. I was standing on the tailgate lifting. Warren pulls the spare out all the way. My foot was in front of it. Right foot slides off the tailgate before I could react. Down I went. Left foot up in the air, flat on my back on the Moab red rocks. Massive pain in my right hip and shoulder. I thought, “well, this is where I die”.

Nope. I open my eyes and see sun and sky. Phil grabbed the back of my head as I went down, so I was spared that pain. Look over and Warrens right hand and arm are bleeding a lot. Bead lock bolts got him. Wrapped it up and got back to work.

We did not have power at the pump for the prime at key on. Checked at the relay. Nothing feeding it. I tried the jumper on the relay and nothing. We are scratching our heads. I remove the relay and try to direct feed to the pump. Nothing still.

We bypass everything and jump the pump to the compressor feed. Still no pump?????????

Pull the pump and find it is not working. Put a new pump in. test it hot wired and it works. Put all the wiring back to factory and it does not prime??????????? Still no power to the pump. So the jumper wire to the compressor is put back in. Now we have fuel.

Put everything away. The Jimmy cranks, fuel pump is running nonstop, engine will not fire. Start checking ECM fuses again. I blew one wen I was hot wiring the relay feed.

It starts and runs. We made our way back into town to call mit a day.

Pool and hot tub were required.

Phil grilled up a tri-tip and made a salad. A couple of beers were had and we loaded up.

The carnage was finished.

Or so I thought.

In the middle of nowhere Texas on the 40fwy. Monday afternoon. Cruising at 65mph. I hear a faint grinding noise. Nothing specific and very intermittent. I pull of at the next exit. Climb under the hood to listen. Nothing.

Back on the road it is a little bit louder and more consistent. I pull off at the next exit and temp check the entire front end. Sound like a bearing growl. Left front corner, but I check it all. Everything is consistently at 110* or so. I pulled the serp belt off and spun everything by hand. But I knew that was useless because it was not RPM related.

Back on the freeway, noise is getting louder and constant. Gets louder when I turn either direction. At this point I know it has to be a hub bearing or u-joint. I pull off for the 3rd time in 50 miles. Still nothing hot. I am scratching my head.

Back on the freeway, the noise is getting worse. And when I go through a g-out, the noise changes when the truck loads the front axle. Now I know it is a hub bearing, drivers’ side. Crap.

So I pull off at the next exit and pull onto the bridge facing north. I am rolling around under the front and back of the axle trying to see if something is obvious. That is when I notice that the tire is polished, shinny. What in the world?

The tread is glistening in the sun. My first thought is that is must be scuffing going down the road. No. I would be rough. I roll out from under the truck like only a fat man can. I am looking down at the shinny tire. That is when I see it.

The inner fender clips had broke or something and the inner fender was blowing back against the tire. When parked, it was back in the correct location. There is a large U-shaped section missing.

One zip tie later, I was back on the road.

View attachment 390089
Wow! Melissa says “thank you for the bedtime story”! Lol..glad you are safe

Top Bottom