Colby`s First gen Duramax 01 lb7

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by max 02, Sep 13, 2014.

1. max 02

max 02 N.E.D. Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Well third time we’ve had the top end of this old Lb7 apart. For the last couple months pressure has been building in the cooling system again.

Wasn’t to sure we shouldn’t just burn this Mother F to the ground. But instead we came up with some motivation to fix it again.

After a ton of thinking about it we decided that the head gaskets should be good since we ARP studded it the first time we had it apart. So we figured that it had to be the injector sleeves giving the leak? When we did the injectors last winter 4 of the sleeves pulled out with injectors but we only resealed the ones that came out because no one had a puller to get the others out of the heads.

Colby has been a beast at spending money on high quality tools lately so he he said if we are going to do it let’s not borrow tools from the neighbor and get serious.

So he ordered a lb7 injector removal kit and a Lb7 injector sleeve puller from Snap On , along with with a Flare nut crows foot kit off amazon and about every variation of a 5mm allan bit you can find.
    I ordered a Injector gasket kit from Merchant Auto.
    Awesome kit with everything you need for a great price!

We started Saturday on it for a few hours between milking the cows, Sunday the same thing...cows come first around here. Monday Colby had to go back to work in town, so I played with it for a few hours after milking the cows and finished it yesterday after milking them fock’n cows again! :haha:

The Snap On tools Colby bought worked fantastically... so smooth and easy on the injectors and sleeves. Worked really well for the install of the sleeves and injectors as well.

So what we found was three damaged O rings on the drivers side injectors, not sure if that was my fault from the last time or bad O rings. I’ll just take the blame for them.:doah:
    The passengers side the O rings were fine but one sleeve came out with the injector and #8 injector was really dirty inside the sleeve, looked like it was leaking pretty bad.

We pulled all the sleeves and resealed them. Wished we would’ve done that the first time!

All back together and working good so far. Time will tell!

525731 klms on her now.

Here is some pictures of what I was talking about.

E51D94FA-B51A-4DC1-BC98-978474E519CA.jpeg

143F2C57-BB21-466E-B208-D153F81FD59A.jpeg

3C7FD219-BD3F-4336-A48C-A8B99AB6DA93.jpeg

F4DC18DB-2F32-4F96-B75F-18D3182DB325.jpeg

tRustyK5, Truckman4life and acm like this.
  2. Truckman4life

Truckman4life 3/4 Ton Status Premium Member

Build(s):
    max 02 likes this.
  3. max 02

Build(s):
  4. Truckman4life

Build(s):
    Yeah good quality too. I have another source for axle tools too. Torque King 4x4 in Montana. Used to be called Quad 4x4. Super duty axles take some special tools and they have good ones at great prices compared to the dealer also.

max 02 likes this.
  5. max 02

Build(s):
    Our problem is ordering anything from the U.S. costs a fortune in shipping and exchange.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    I've found on average if I just double the price I see online, that's what it'll cost me to my door in CDN funds. Depressing, and frustrating. At least Rock, Summit, and Jegs kinds soften the blow somewhat by showing their prices in CDN funds to begin with, and have some seriously aggressive shipping prices. Most others though...double the online price is realistic to get it here.

max 02 likes this.
  7. Truckman4life

Build(s):
    That sucks for you guys!

8. max 02

Build(s):
    Lol!
    Actually it does!

I see guys in the states complain about the price of whatever...I’m like pfttt. I wish!

We are used to it.

tRustyK5 and Truckman4life like this.