CS 144 or AD 244 to replace CS 130

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation: I have a 96 non-vortec 454 crate motor. When I bought it, the accessory brackets were out of alignment, and washers were stacked up between the block and brackets and components, and it was eating a belt about every couple hundred miles. I managed to get brackets from a 91 k5 with a 350, and got the Kwik Performance spacers to put them on the big block. Passenger's side is on, and everything lines up well. I'm getting ready to install the driver's side, but the existing CS 144 alternator is way too big. So I'm left with a choice of spending the money on an adapter bracket from a Caprice police package, if I can find one, or swapping the CS144 for the newer AD 244 style alternator, which I am told will bolt in to the bracket.

The CS 144 works fine, and is fairly new (about three years). I would prefer to keep the CS144 and not have to change any wiring, but haven't been able to dig up a bracket that will work. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either of these alternators or the mounting system that anyone can shed some light on before I make a decision? If I go for the AD244, will actually fit in the bracket I have, which is part #10118701, without any mods? Is it really superior to the CS144, or is it just newer...although if it fits the bracket I have, that would be enough to swap as far as I'm concerned. I believe there was a CS 130 in the bracket before. Here's some photos of the brackets and alternator.

cs144 alt bracket.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have no help, but I want to see how this works out.
I have CS130 stuff on all of my trucks, and I have heard about the 144 conversion a little.

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was hoping this might rustle up someone with one of those caprice brackets who needed some cash more than the bracket, but so far, no takers. I can't even find one on ebay for full pop.
I think my wife's 2012 Tahoe has an AD244 in it, I may have to "borrow" it and see if it fits in that 91 bracket as I'm told it will...just kind of hard with her at home all day now...maybe I'll tell her I'm going to change the oil.

Ned Kelly

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The adapter bracket from the police Caprice...what years are we talking about...the jelly bean 1991 and up police Caprices?

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The adapter bracket from the police Caprice...what years are we talking about...the jelly bean 1991 and up police Caprices?
I believe so...the one you could get the LT1 engine in. It will look like the one in the photo below, but the alternator hole is much wider. I think it's out of a 92 or 93 Caprice. the 91 only had a 120 amp alternator, so it's too small, but it looks the same. There's also a smaller bracket that is a quarter circle and will bolt on to the cs144, then that bracket will fit the cast aluminum "tower" that also holds the ps pump. That's the one that is pictured in my original post.

full bracket.JPG

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, that looks like a good option...on the wiring coming from that, I assume you have the big charge wire, and a plug with a "S" wire and a "L" wire, correct? It looks like that's just a CS 144 which has a case that will mount to the 91 bracket I have without changing anything. At $100 more than I'd probably pay for the adapter bracket, if I could find one, it's a real good option. It looks like you've got it bolted in to the exact same cast aluminum bracket that I'm putting on the big block. Are you still running the '78 Suburban 454 in your plow truck? If so, are those the sbc brackets you're running on there?

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
bolt in and go on 90-95 aluminum sbc serp brackets .

this is in my daily driver plow truck NOT the plow machine build .

4ga main power wire i made up from alt post directly to battery .

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
bolt in and go on 90-95 aluminum sbc serp brackets .

this is in my daily driver plow truck NOT the plow machine build .

4ga main power wire i made up from alt post directly to battery .
Sorry...you mentioned the plow pump brackets, so I was assuming it was the plow machine. That looks like a winner, and I don't even think I need a harness adapter, since I have the CS144 already, it looks like the same plug. I have a 2 ga cable from there to the junction block already, so it's really just bolt and play if I get that one. I'm sure I can find a use for the one I have on there now...as well as all the BBC accessory brackets I'm taking off. Probably can make up the cost of the new alternator with that. I think I'm going this route unless someone pipes up with one of those adapter brackets for sale in the very near future...Thanks for the input!

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have no help, but I want to see how this works out.
I have CS130 stuff on all of my trucks, and I have heard about the 144 conversion a little.
Since you're considering this, I'm hearing the AD244 requires some sort of input from the ECM to function properly. Haven't verified that, but several sources have mentioned that, so I'm kind of crossing that off the list for now...I'll see if I can verify that info, but it looks like my issue is going to be solved by this CS144 with a case that fits the sbc aluminum brackets I have.

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry...you mentioned the plow pump brackets, so I was assuming it was the plow machine. That looks like a winner, and I don't even think I need a harness adapter, since I have the CS144 already, it looks like the same plug. I have a 2 ga cable from there to the junction block already, so it's really just bolt and play if I get that one. I'm sure I can find a use for the one I have on there now...as well as all the BBC accessory brackets I'm taking off. Probably can make up the cost of the new alternator with that. I think I'm going this route unless someone pipes up with one of those adapter brackets for sale in the very near future...Thanks for the input!
got 2 plow trucks . 1 i drive and one in build up faze on hold right now .

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used those same kwik performance brackets with high output ad244 alternators.
Do they fit in the bracket without modification? Belt tensioner work OK with the AD 244 in there? If I dont keep the belt tight on the CS144, the tensioner will dip down so low the belt will rub against itself between the water pump pulley and the tensioner pulley. I'm thinking if the AD244 sits higher, it would solve the problem.
Do the AD 244's require some sort of control from the ECM to operate, or can they stand alone with only a sense circuit wire?

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I went to the store to buy an AD244 but wound up getting IIRC an AD44. (Maybe DR44, mid 2000 GM truck) It needs input from the computer to reach 14.5v. Mine, wired only to the battery, reaches a maximum of 13.5v. It fits the mounting if one hole is slightly egged out.(drilled) While this alternator doesn’t reach 14.x, it is a beast of a case and stays cool. Most newer vehicles run 13.x all the time. My 2017 mustang does.

I have tested it and only seen it drop to 13.3v with everything switched on in the truck. (Cooling fans, trans cooling fan, high/low beam, running lights, rear pod lights, 6 dome lights, radio, unloaded winch, uphill in the snow both ways lol) That is of course all at idle. I can have @500$k5 modify the alt to achieve 14.x volts but I think I’m fine :D

Last edited:

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Google says DR44
145-160 amps depending on the application
I don’t remember what mine was but if given the opportunity at the store to choose, I would have gone 160 :D All out of a stock Delco unit found anywhere.

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, now we're getting some info. Sounds like the difference between the AD 244 and the DR 44 must be the computer control. Guy at the local alternator and battery shop said the AD 244 style does not need any computer input. It also just needs the "L" wire hooked up to work properly. He said the same thing, you have to open up one of the holes a bit, but other than that, it will fit the bracket off a 90's small block. So which is better, the CS144 or the AD244? Or maybe I should ask, what's the difference?

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was looking for...so I don't need an adapter bracket. I wonder why I couldn't find that thread when I searched through anything with CS 144 in it....From looking at it I'd never guess it would fit in there without some sort of bracket change. I'll go out tomorrow and actually take the alternator off and try to get it mounted in the bracket. If it works, i won't have to spend any money, and I'll be back on the road....or off the road as the case may be! Thanks!
EDIT: At least I know where the issue is now...upon comparing my alt. to the one in your thread, my mounting tabs are opposite each other, yours are much closer together. Which is why I would need an adapter of some sort to get those holes close enough to the mount. Or a whole new alternator with the correctly spaced mounting tabs. The other issue I have is the tensioner is way too close to the water pump pulley, but I think that may fix itself once the new alternator bracket gets installed. Belt is tight, but with this bracket I think the alt. sits too low, making the belt too close to the water pump bracket.

IMG_0725.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom