Edelbrock Proflo 4

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by 6872xtc, Nov 19, 2018.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    That's my plan for after work today; just swap lines. I didn't use nicer fuel injection clamps on that line since I thought it was just vent. But it should hold up enough for a short pressure test.

2. folkenheath

folkenheath Volcano Manifolds Vendor GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    That's the one spot I wouldn't worry to much because there shouldn't be much pressure at all, its open to atmosphere at the end of the hose, and all the pressure is pre regulator.

3. mrk5

Build(s):
    I knew somehow I would be dropping the tank again. Glad the transmission jack makes it easier.

4. mrk5

Build(s):
    Swapped the lines and pressure is good. I'll have to drop the tank and put better hose and clamps on the 1/4 line, tho. Still has a couple spring clamps.

skunked and folkenheath like this.
  5. skunked

skunked phat block slush machine Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    As a follow up to our previous discussion and for anyone looking to mount the ECU inside a pre-TBI cab, this is what I did.

2 piece seal https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sit-sgs3-5-375/reviews

I had to enlarge the hole on the seal since it was too small however other seals are available from Seals-it. A 2" hole in the firewall was drilled from inside the cab. With a right angle drill and a set of extra hands the install went pretty smooth for the seal itself. I also took this opportunity to pull extra pro flo cabling into the cab so it wasn't bundled up and exposed to the heat and other elements.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Capt Ron, Bent77, mrk5 and 4 others like this.
  6. Kain

Kain 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    NICE

skunked likes this.
  7. mrk5

Build(s):
    folkenheath and sweetk30 like this.
  8. mrk5

Build(s):
    Took the C10 to town for groceries and some efi testing. Throttle response off the line is awesome. Gonna have to relearn my pedal pressure for driving this truck. My wife was exclaiming that I was driving it like a raceway! Haha.

I have 2 issues to resolve.
    1. It was 14° this morning. Probably about 40° when we took it for a drive. It started and idled fine, but died as soon as I put it in gear. I remembered @6872xtc had to mess with cold enrichment. I'm thinking this is probably my issue too. What did you end up at for the cold enrichment @6872xtc?
    2. I have a whistle thru the throttle body at 30% throttle position and goes away within 3% either side of 30%. The Sniper did something similar that I solved with a 4-hole 1/4" thick carb to intake gasket. Curious if anyone else has experienced this. I did try without the air cleaner and that made no difference. I'm wondering if it's the secondary throttle blades opening. Anyone know if they open at 30% throttle?

folkenheath likes this.
  9. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I am honestly still trying to get mine dialed in so that it doesn't die when the transmission shocks the idle. I think that I have added 10% to the coldest range and less in the next 2 steps. But even in Moab this year, if it wasn't warmed up enough, I would either have to restart it or catch it with the throttle. I have tried to be slow with adjustment and patient with letting it learn after making changes. If I had a manual transmission, I believe that it would not be a problem as @Bent77 tells me that he doesn't experience this. The sudden shock to the IAC seems to be too quick.

But Edelbrock tech told several of us to put some mile on it before getting too deep into trying to fix little things. I don't put enough miles per week on month on mine, for sure.
    I haven't had whistling from mine, no open element air filter.

The Volcano modification has me intrigued.

folkenheath likes this.
  10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stupid question, can you set the target idle speed based on engine temp? Or does it already do this, but still not enough?

11. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    It already bumps the idle up for warm up.
    It just doesn't seem to be rich enough to handle the sudden change from putting the transmission into gear until over 100* coolant temperature. Once it's warm enough to bring the idle down and close the IAC down some, mine seems good.

folkenheath likes this.
  12. dyeager535

Is there a fueling table that works off load vs. engine temp? And/or the same for timing? It's not going into closed loop too soon is it?

If I'm not helping let me know and I'll step out. TPI is obviously different to tune, but I know there are a lot of tables that influence startup, based on load and engine temp. It's kind of a pain to get right. Figure maybe that's applicable here.

I can imagine it's even harder dealing with an automatic. With a clutch you can "save" it if it sounds like it's going to stall since you are already on the pedal, the automatic not so much.

folkenheath likes this.
  13. mrk5

Build(s):
    I bumped the enrichment up on mine to 15, but it didn't help. I probably idled about 2 minutes before I left. I ended up just 2 footing it, but I only needed to do that to get moving. It seemed like once I was rolling it was fine. I have a stop sign about 3 blocks from the house and it was fine there. Probably just needed the help once I put it in gear and it was fine once it was running in gear.

The truck pulls hard from a start and I wonder how much of that is from the Volcano.

I was wondering this also. The Holley Sniper has this adjustment, but I didn't find anything like that on the Pro-Flo this morning. I think if I could bump up the cold idle a couple hundred RPM, it would solve the problem.

folkenheath likes this.
  14. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    @mrk5 did you look at the idle target? It will tell you what it is shooting for.
    I haven't found where the cold idle speed is adjustable. But I have seen it have 1100 rpm as idle target at times.
    Mine only does it when I first drop it into gear. After I get going, it's all good. If I let it warm up enough, it seems fine, but I don't wait until it's completely warm before I move it.

15. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    I haven't found anything such as fueling versus engine load and temperature. It will go into closed loop somewhat quickly, but I assume that is why they let you enrich the mixture based on coolant temperature. It seems to me that this is one aspect that some of us want more available parameter tuning access, bit Edelbrock made it more idiot proof.
    :confused:

16. mrk5

Build(s):
    I did read on the Edelbrock forum at least one thing to look at. They said to look at the Short Fuel Trim before dropping it in gear; if it's a big positive number then it needs more cold start enrichment. So I'll see what that looks like tomorrow morning.

They also said not to go anywhere until the O2 sensor warms up. You can see this when it starts reading something other than just 10.0

I didn't look to see what the target is, but I noticed it's idling around 900-1000 RPM. My normal target idle is 600 RPM.

I did find some discussion about a whistle noise on the Edelbrock forum, but I kinda felt like the mods were a little dismissive about it. One guy said his was a split intake gasket. I also saw another mention throttle body gasket having some excess material flopping around. Mine is so specific at a definite throttle position, I don't think it's something like a gasket. It also does it under different loads - heavy acceleration versus light. I will play around with it more and see if I can narrow down if it always happens at 30% throttle regardless of RPM and loads. I would think if it was the intake gasket it would do it all the time and get louder as RPM increases. Also think if it was the base gasket or intake gasket it would get louder as the throttle position increases.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  17. folkenheath

folkenheath Volcano Manifolds Vendor GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    See if you can correlate the whistle to a certain IAC position, or a certain throttle %. That might help narrow it down. I've heard funny noises from the IAC valve flowing air through the little channel in some applications. Maybe you can check in the throttle body for any burrs or something you could smooth out from the machining (I haven't seen this just throwing it out there to check). Then bolt the IAC back in.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  18. mrk5

Build(s):
    It's always 30-35% throttle.

19. dyeager535

Can you easily throw more fuel at it below say 100* coolant temp? How about taking out timing at the same time? That's the other thing difficult about tuning startup. You really only get one or two chances a day to see if tuning changes have worked, where the engine has really cooled down, except if the ambient temps are very cold.

20. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    It is easy to add fuel in temperature ranges, but timing is not adjustable depending on temperature.
    I just haven't given it a lot.