Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flyin Rat Garage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76zimmer, Sep 12, 2016.

1. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I appreciate the complements brothers.
    For those that don't know me, I'm 58 and this didn't happen on a whim...Over the years I've worked on a gravel driveway, then when I got my 2nd house it had a two car garage, which allowed me some workspace indoors, and eventually with a salamander heater, then the next house I moved up to a dedicated shop space of 24x24, again with just a salamander kerosene heater. Then the first divorce came...my next workspace was a small pole barn I built at my Moms place...we shared that, but it give me a space to work on my junk, and keep my Corvette while living in an apartment and small house in town. The existing shop (on the right in the pic) came in 1995..the 24x32x8 was mostly to give me a dedicated heated stall to work on, and keep the Vette in, and also a working stall for other stuff....well then came divorce #2, and I struggled to just keep the house, everything was pretty tight for a few years, but my job position moved up, and with that more money, then about the time I brought home the dually in 2011 and I had multiple vehicles sitting outside, and I had to move the Vette to a friends barn for a couple winters. It was in great hands but I didn't like the thought of it being even 5 miles away....I am fortunate enough to have a steady good job for 30+ years now, so the timing was right to make this move to get set up for retirement in a few more years.[​IMG]
    I don't mean to make anyone jealous Greg, just sharing my dreams coming to reality here with the brotherhood. Hopefully to inspire as others have done for me with their projects!

you are right Jesse....I haven't had a lift to work on since 1981 when I worked for Gilmore Pontiac/Cadillac!

Thanks Ray, I think this will be a good investment in keeping me busy in my retirement years....and it isn't easy to get up off the floor anymore either!

Bought a oil drain unit, and have done one oil change with it...its the Lisle unit Brett shows below! It works pretty well, and the guy I take my oil too, can empty it out by dumping it into his underground tank.
    I will be in the market for a decent tranny jack though!

Its hard to see, but its behind the post in this pic....

flyin rat garage.jpg

I got 100 sheets of 1/2" OSB for 9.13/ea at Menards when they had it on sale, plus the 11% off (rebate) as well. most everywhere was about 12.50/13.00 ea at the time.
    All of my shop space is heated/AC as well. Us fat guys don't take to working in the heat real well!
    Remember the stall where the Vette is kept? that is my paint space as well...I empty it out, put plastic on the walls, a filter in the ceiling and an exhaust fan in the back wall....works pretty good!

at this point no...I have those 6 2 bulb LED fixtures that seem to do a good job, check the pic above!....AND OSB sucks up the paint like it ain't even there!

2. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

:waytogo:

3. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you ever change your mind and want to paint.... Use Kilz first http://www.kilz.com/products/primer/kilz-original Smells to high hell, but will seal the OSB. Then paint over with a good exterior, easy to clean white.

No jealousy here......I'm glad for you.
    I just built my shop a couple of years ago ( A 40' x 40' ) and love every minute of it. You only have me by five years. so I know how long it takes to make these things happen sometimes. One more thing.......No more divorces! :D

JoshHefnerX, 76zimmer and campfire like this.
  4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

looks like a good sealer/base primer...thanks, I may resort to that in the future!
    and ditto on the no more divorces!

5. GWeakland620

GWeakland620 THE CK5 Crayon Eater Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's a good jealous. And believe me, I know you did it all with hard work. Well earned.

76zimmer likes this.
  6. bent72

bent72 Desert Solitaire Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That divorce crap is some serious business. It's amazing the life long effect it has on you financially.

Glad to see the up swing.
    Go paint the OSB white...

JoshHefnerX and 76zimmer like this.
  7. skunked

skunked in the garage Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I second the Kilz product if you decide to do it.

76zimmer likes this.
  8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm happy for you,that you finally have your "dream garage"..

It's unfortunate you couldn't get it sooner though--I'm the same age as you,and I had just a driveway to work on my trucks for years--I remember lying in slush installing a clutch twice in my 2wd K5,and several engine swaps done outdoors..by the time I had a real garage,my back was already pretty much toast,I wish I was able to have built it at least ten years earlier,when I was in my 20's and in better shape..

In 1992 after I was fired at work after a work related injury,I decided I wanted a "real" garage,and I talked my dad into letting me build the quonset hut--it was evident I'd most likely never be able to afford my own house or garage,and he said he'd always wanted a garage separate from the house but couldn't afford one when he had the house built..so he was pretty enthused about the idea..

..my mom however,hated the idea and was very disgusted he let me put it up--the additional taxes were mostly what she didn't like,and I offered to pay the difference,but she refused to let me..

Since my mom passed in 2013 I haven't been in the garage much--I practically lived in it when my parents were alive though,I only came in the house to sleep and do whatever chores they needed help with..
    Now that I don't feel much like working on stuff and find getting up off the floor more difficult,I have become reluctant to do any "major" repairs on things...

Some "friends" I had thought I'd be happy to let them show up without notice and work on their vehicles in my garage,one wanted to let him paint his truck in it --in December!--another wanted to take his truck all apart and do a frame off resto.....like it was their garage,not mine..(and they never showed up to help ,never drove one nail,or any other work on it when I needed some extra hands)..

When I told them no,I built it for MY use,with my hands,my money,not theirs,they told me to go f**** myself and they never came around any more...(their loss,not mine!)..
    I don't know if it was jealousy or just the fact they couldn't get me to let them walk all over me or what..once I found out their true colors,I didn't miss them much..good riddance!..:flipoff2:

76zimmer likes this.
  9. shady

shady 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Shop looks awesome Dave :thumb:. Hopefully one of these days I'll see it in person lol. Setting your self up for the kind of retirement I'm hoping to have :)

76zimmer likes this.
  10. beags86

beags86 Beagle's House of Fab Premium Member

What's the advantage of osb over drywall?

76zimmer likes this.
  11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

cheaper, and easier to finish.

76zimmer likes this.
  12. beags86

Yeah, but it's not cheaper, per sheet.
    I have just been pricing it all out. Maybe once you add mud and tape no. But per sheet it's a dollar cheaper for a 4x12 sheet then the same osb at 4x8
    So I spend less and get 4 more ft of coverage...

Right now I am just looking at it to cover the insulation...

13. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Harder to knock a hole in osb.....But a hole in drywall is easier to fix.

Osb is easy to install..... Drywall is a PITA to install,tape,mud,finsh.

I used the osb 8' up from the floor and then used drywall the rest of the way to the ceiling.

76zimmer likes this.
  14. Smokinthehippies

Smokinthehippies 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Plus you don't have to use a drywall anchor to mount shit to the wall. Just screw it in and go

76zimmer, campfire and GWeakland620 like this.
  15. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Honestly for a shop, I wouldn't even consider drywall. Mounting is easier, mounting stuff to it is easier, hard to punch a hole in it by accident, and can take having grinding debis and hot slag thrown at it (unlike drywall).

16. beags86

Hmmm. Interesting points. Nothing so far I haven't considered. I'm thinking ill go with strong back panel steel. Thats what the farm shop has in it, that's what I'm used to, and what I grew up with.
    I haven't priced the steel yeah. Only have priced the osb, and drywall.

I just hate the look of osb. Even painted it looks like shit. I may just use regular plywood. I don't know yet.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Smokinthehippies likes this.
  17. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put OSB in mine due to all the good points mentioned by others. I too had thoughts about how it looks, etc..
    Meh, after you paint it, you don't even notice it. You'll get use to it in one week and never give it another thought. I actually love it now and it's very robust.

76zimmer likes this.
  18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My only dislike about OSB is the fact if it gets wet and stays damp long enough,it'll eventually flake apart..but even exposed panels outdoors with no paint or stain takes a long time to get that way..

Home Depot now sells "metal roofing" for about $17 a sheet here,10 feet by 30"--its very thin gauge,not what I'd want for a roof (except on a shed or lean too maybe,not a garage or home)--that would be a good interior covering for wall studs and insulation in a shop where welding and grinding will be going on..
    Drywall sucks,especially in a shop environment--too fragile and not resistant enough to moisture....cement backer board might be ok,but its expensive...

19. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

OSB has more water resistance than drywall... :whistle:

I like tin roof panels, they work well inside or out. Concrete board works as long as you don't use it for a welding surface. :crazy:

20. bent72

bent72 Desert Solitaire Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Drywall or OSB is fine, as long as it gets some paint on it

Flat sheet of tin would be better

76zimmer likes this.