Frame swap w/ 96 3/4 ton

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OKIEnVA, Jun 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. OKIEnVA

OKIEnVA Registered Member Premium Member

So here's what I got going on. Got a 91 K5,(pops ordered from factory) been sitting in the pasture for going on over 10 years. Transfercase busted. engine worn out, front end worn out. Throughout the years I've had the dreams of getting this thing going again not for a daily, but trail rig. 2 years ago I acquired a 96 3/4 ton 4wd reg cab long bed. 454. The 96 runs great and nothing wrong with it mechanically. Original plan was yank the 454 and put in the blazer. Well recently I've had the idea of doing a frame swap. The 3/4 ton is longer for sure. I have a buddy that does welding and fab for a living. Am I missing something? Should I be able to shorten frame and driveshaft and be able to body swap? Seems like the way to go. Would love a LS swap but trying to just work with what I got already. Added pics of trucks in question.

trucks.jpg

2. shady

shady 1 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    You could do it. The IFS is a drawback. And frame-body mounts will be fun. But it can be done.

If the frames good on your blazer I think it would be better to swap the engine and find a TC in the long run.

nvrenuf likes this.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 I build stuff Premium Member

Build(s):
    truck frame more flat rails

blazer frame is up and down a lot for the floor pan of the whole body .

and 88-up IFS vehicles got a frame that bow's out wider in the rear to the back bumper . so fitting our older body on them gets real fun .

rebuild your front axle / fix the tcase and be faster and less problems ahead .

4. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member

definitely put the 454 in the K5 :burnout:

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I see the ck5 sticker on the windshield, you said its been sitting 10+ years in the same spot? Pull it out of the tall grass and take a look underneath. It should apparent if you need a new frame or not.

6. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Build(s):
    It's also a few inches wider in the front sections. Take a bunch of measurements before you commit to a frame swap. The body mounts won't line up, so be prepared to fabricate new ones. If you're comfortable shortening the frame and recreating each body mount bracket, the swap should be doable.

7. 86454K30

86454K30 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Best bet is to put the 454 in the k5 and not try a frame swap. Most projects like that end up parted out and that would be a shame for that blazer.

sweetk30 likes this.
  8. beags86

beags86 Eastbound and Down Premium Member

Build(s):
    IFS is a drawback?
    Said no one's spine ever.

9. shady

Build(s):
    It is if your gonna really wheel it lol. And so far I haven't felt a huge difference in ride :dunno:. Maybe comparing a 78 dump truck to a 97 half ton or something sure. But if set up right a solid axle rides good.

Oh, and there's a reason there's so many SAS kits lol

10. beags86

beags86 Eastbound and Down Premium Member

Build(s):
    I Know I'll never win this argument. Never have and never will, but it's ok. I'll keep my soft riding ifs.
    As far as the sas kits. It's only because if the rock climbers.
    My unpopular opinion is that gm ifs is actually pretty strong stuff. Extreme hardcore wheeling. Sure you need a 60. It's only a closed minded views that sells sas kits. It's the same reason why it took almost 20 years of LS to be out before it became hot. Or the LS being the only way, your now looked at funny if you still have a sbc.

Chevy305 and campfire like this.
  11. shady

Build(s):
    Only thing I myself really have against the ifs is parts wearing out, and if you lift it it's worse yet. Just personally had more issues with them.

12. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Build(s):
    I'm with Beags. The newer chassis will have nicer ride quality than the old chassis, both on- and off-road. My square suburban with its rebuilt suspension rides nicer than the average squarebody. But it will never ride as nicely as a proper IFS setup, and I'm reminded of this every time I drive it.

It might be a horse apiece if the donor rig needs a pile of suspension parts and the Blazer doesn't. But it sounds like the Blazer has been sitting a lot longer than the pickup.

13. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member

SAS will always turn sharper than ifs, Ifs need 40 acres. Ball joints bushing eating machines.