Front Suspension - Added Support???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PWagon, Oct 8, 2015.

1. PWagon

PWagon 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need some suggestions from you guys on what to do about my front suspension. It seems like bumps and dips will bottom out the front end when it clearly shouldn't be. For example, there's slight speed bump near my home that's maybe 6 or 7 inches tall, and if I drive over it too fast then my bump stops (on my frame) will touch the front axle. I have already replaced the front leaf springs (new/exact size & specs as what I had). I also have brand new Bilstein shocks (not the cheap ones either). I can't help but think that I may need to swap over from the single shock configuration to the dual shock setup like I know some Blazers have. Or, maybe I should consider adding an air bag between the frame and axle to soften the bumps. I'm looking for suggestions here. I'd rather go the dual shock route, but I have no idea where to start looking. Every salvage yard in Dallas has no K5's on the lot (trust me, I've looked). Need suggestions here...

brake5.JPG

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Shocks don't do much to prevent suspension compression. Should not be an issue especially on a speed bump.

What are the spring specs?

I trimmed the factory bump stops, but that was a test, instead of replacing the springs that probably need it. Did stop them from hitting, at least as much. Now the rear ones hit, but they don't produce the jarring impact the middle ones did.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I would suggest getting a progressive bump rather than that crappy rubber wedge. Something like the timbrens or the GM from the back of the yukons. upload_2015-10-8_14-41-29.png

4. dyeager535

Huh. Do those happen to fit in the stock location? Stock ones use a stud to attach as well, that would make it easy. :thumb:

5. PWagon

I was just about to ask the same thing. That would be really great if they did fit. Maybe someone will chime in here and let us know...

6. jekquistk5

Build(s):

Yes they can attach in the stock location. @Blue85 has a similar style off of an s10. Only issue I ran into is they use m10 nuts.

7. jekquistk5

Build(s):
  8. dyeager535

9. jekquistk5

Build(s):
    They compress quite a bit. My fronts have about 3/4 of an inch before they contact. Same with the rear. It has made my full compression way less harsh.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My trucks front springs (stock 2 leaf ones) are likely sagged from years of plowing ,that Fisher blade is heavy..it hits the rubber bump stops on just about every bump,big or small,there is only about 3/4" clearance between the spring and bump stop with no plow on it..

I'm wishing they had something like Timbrens for the front that could absorb the shock better,work like a rubber spring....truck rides like a buckboard on bad roads..

Last winter the rubber bumpers got sheared right off,leaving only the one above the front pinion,and when it hit "metal to metal" it really was un-nerving..I found some stock ones at a boneyard for now..

11. dyeager535

Just measured my "stock" setup, roughly 5" between the bumpstop mount and the contact point on the spring.

What does anyone think about using a 4" stop as we are talking about, with only 1" clearance to contact?

I've trimmed my bumpstop already and run about 3" of clearance, so if I ever hit that bumpstop it's because I do something stupid like don't see a water bar and hit it way too fast, not that that ever happens...if you don't know what one is:

[​IMG]

In my case I'm worried about making the ride worse. Honestly I'm not sure the truck can ride any better (I'd put it up against a newer IFS truck actually), so I don't want to go backwards with jarring suspension. But a functioning bumpstop is probably better than a big gap with a harsh stop.

12. 1977k5

1977k5 1 ton status Vendor

Does your truck need to stay at stock suspension height?

How fast are you trying to hit said 7" speed bumps?

13. jekquistk5

Build(s):

Those bumps are progressive unlike the factory rubber ones. They are made to compress. The more they compress the "stiffer" they get.

14. PWagon

I'll check my speed on the drive home today from work. I drive a normal speed, and keep in mind that these speed bumps are about 3 feet wide and 6 inches tall. So it's a gradual hump and not like driving over a pipe in the road.
    I usually alternate between my 86 K5 and my 04 Tahoe. I drive the same speed in both. My Tahoe breezes across the speed bumps effortlessly while my Blazer does good not to bottom out. I know I'm comparing apples to bubble gum in terms of suspension design differences, but I spent a lot of hours in these old square body trucks back in the 80's. I know how they are supposed to ride. Mine should not be bottoming out like this.

15. Deuling

Deuling "Official CK5 Post Whore" Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    You are screwed. Must buy shiny things

air bumps.jpg

16. PWagon

Hmmm... whelp, I just stumbled across a Timbren hollow rubber bump stop that looks promising. Their website says the GMFK10 will fit most all K5 Blazers. They have a compatibility chart on their site. I'm seriously considering ordering a set.
    http://timbren.com/products-page/ses/GMFK10/

[​IMG]

Timbren.jpg

17. Deuling

Build(s):
    You don't need to order things just because they say they fit the vehicle on a website or not. All it takes is a minute with a tape measure to see what will fit...

Those are probably much more expensive than the ones jesse linked.

18. PWagon

And your "shiny things" above are cheaper??? You're talking out both sides of your mouth...

I've heard nothing but great things about the Timbrens, and I see on their website that they make a pair for the K5. That's all I said.

19. Deuling

Build(s):
    My shiny things did not have a chart telling me what they fit.

Timbrens are great. Was just a suggestion

20. PWagon

Michigan, you're really hung up on charts...