CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Group B Pritchett Run BB21

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Fair enough!

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Melanie, Devlyn on Friday, Me and Devlyn on Saturday. With Kenalee / Eric driving Twinkie, maybe.............
Oh I’m sure Kenalee would have a blast

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Melanie, Devlyn on Friday, Me and Devlyn on Saturday. With Kenalee / Eric driving Twinkie, maybe.............
This is an excellent plan. Multitasking at its finest.

David

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I saw Mark's update, and it looks like we're getting a healthy group together. We're going to fill out our target size of 8 trucks, which will make for a full day through the canyon at our deliberate pace. It's going to be a great day.

A few have DM'd, so here is my take on the minimum requirements for a good day on the trail. Essentially, you need a very well prepared truck and a good bit of experience wheeling it. Know where your corners are, how to look ahead at the trail to find your line, and generally how the truck's weight moves around through its range of travel. We will all deploy at the obstacles to spot, but if you have a trusted partner, this is a great time to bring them along.

The most important requirement is time in the seat, and a patient approach to wheeling. We're not going to hole shot anything. We'll jockey around to avoid the worst dents. As well, be aware that once we're past the first couple of test ledges and small obstacles, we're in the canyon for the duration of the run.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but and I would invite comment from smart folks like @r3dd0g and @miniwally:
  • Solid running powertrain that can operate reliably at a variety of steep angles
  • One ton driveline and running gear
  • Lockers front and rear
  • Large tires aired down - at least 37s, but 39s and 40s make a difference
  • Good gearing - north of 30:1 (TH400, NP208, 4.56s would get you there, more is better)
  • Good steering - crossover is vital, hydraulic assist is actually a strain reliever on the overall system
  • Good brakes - factory disc and drum, well adjusted, work just fine
  • Rocker protection - it will get used
  • Transfer case protection
  • Working winch
  • Trail spares - fluids, u-joint/driveline, whatever you think your truck might need
  • Roll cage for the convertible crowd
  • Water for drinking, food for lunch
We've got 10 weeks until the run. I've got some work to do.

Let's roll.

David

Last edited:

r3dd0g

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I saw Mark's update, and it looks like we're getting a healthy group together. We're going to fill out our target size of 8 trucks, which will make for a full day through the canyon at our deliberate pace. It's going to be a great day.

A few have DM'd, so here is my take on the minimum and recommended requirements for a good day on the trail. Essentially, you need a very well prepared truck and a good bit of experience wheeling it. Know where your corners are, how to look ahead at the trail to find your line, and generally how the truck's weight moves around through its range of travel. We will all deploy at the obstacles to spot, but if you have a trusted partner, this is a great time to bring them along.

The most important requirement is time in the seat, and a patient approach to wheeling. We're not going to hole shot anything. We'll jockey around to avoid the worst dents. As well, be aware that once we're past the first couple of test ledges and small obstacles, we're in the canyon for the duration of the run.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but and I would invite comment from smart folks like @r3dd0g and @miniwally:
  • Solid running powertrain that can operate reliably at a variety of steep angles
  • Lockers front and rear
  • Good gearing - north of 30:1 (TH400, NP208, 4.56s would get you there, more is better)
  • Good steering - crossover is vital, hydraulic assist is really
  • Working winch
  • Trail spares - fluids, u-joint/driveline, whatever you think your truck might need

Let's roll.

David
That's a good list for starting. One of the big things to keep in mind on trails like this is keeping people moving. People are going to have issues, breaks, trouble getting up an obstacle etc. But if it takes 15 minutes for the next truck to get to the obstacle, or 30 minutes for everyone to get packed back up after a trail fix, it makes for a long boring day.

Granted, this is why there are two groups because some of you like to go slower, so use your own judgement. But remember, if you go super slow then break your steering knuckle in half late in the afternoon just before you get to Rock Pile, you're going to be eating dinner at Denny's at 2AM (I speak from experience here).

miniwally

St. Javier
Premium Member
Reaction score

A few have DM'd, so here is my take on the minimum requirements for a good day on the trail. Essentially, you need a very well prepared truck and a good bit of experience wheeling it. Know where your corners are, how to look ahead at the trail to find your line, and generally how the truck's weight moves around through its range of travel. We will all deploy at the obstacles to spot, but if you have a trusted partner, this is a great time to bring them along.

• Lockers front and rear
  • Good steering - crossover is vital, hydraulic assist is actually a strain reliever on the overall system
  • Working winch

Let's roll.

David
That's a great synopsis of minimum needs. I would however stress that the Gearing item with that drivetrain example is on the low side of barely enough low gearing. We've had Chris Perry join us several times and he get's it done but Poor Marty's transmission can really take a beating with his setup. (But it's always been fun to watch)

And to Brent's point about keeping moving, we may take that idea to another level but if you have someone focusing on getting all people moving to their vehicle as the last one is clearing the hardest part of the obstacle then you will save 20 min. every time. Also pay attention to the que and be ready to go, don't sit and BS for 10 min with no vehicles on the obstacle.

How fast you drive from place to place helps but it's not a big of a time saver as just making sure you keep the herd moving.

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I would however stress that the Gearing item with that drivetrain example is on the low side of barely enough low gearing.
I just used the above calculator to check my gear ratio. I'm at 40.47
It's worth a look for everyone to be sure of where they are at.

miniwally

St. Javier
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just used the above calculator to check my gear ratio. I'm at 40.47
It's worth a look for everyone to be sure of where they are at.
My second gear with both the 203 and 205 in low is 29.XX. This is my back up and bump it hard gear when I don't want to develop wheel speed too fast.

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I guess I can not run it. The Jimmy is only at 37.81.

Whew, I have a good excuse to avoid the trail.

That is the only excuse. Because 35" tires, open front and 1/2 ton axles are not enough of an excuse.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I guess I can not run it. The Jimmy is only at 37.81.

Whew, I have a good excuse to avoid the trail.

That is the only excuse. Because 35" tires, open front and 1/2 ton axles are not enough of an excuse.
Plus the whole thing where you try to avoid any and all body damage......

Top Bottom