Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me find a lift for my Garage

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Chevy305, Mar 29, 2017.

1. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    beags86 likes this.
  2. beags86

beags86 Beagle's House of Fab Premium Member

Build(s):
    How big were the footings?

My initial thoughts are to cut a 2x2 square hole, dig two feet deep. And then at the bottom of the footings place a 1/2 inch plate, whatever size of the lift post is, with welded anchor bolts coming up through the concrete.
    Rebar on top of the embed with the rebar sticking through under the existing slab.

No such thing as Overkill.

3. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront Stuck going nowhere fast Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I was way overkill. 3 feet by 4 feet by 3 feet deep. Built a number 4 bar cage to set in it with J hooks hooked under he top of the cage.

4. beags86

Build(s):
    Using the stated above the total weight of the concrete would be roughly 4800lbs(4788)per side.

Using my 2x2x2 would only be 1064 per side. I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable with that weight as an anchor. I feel like a ton on each side would be a safe amount.
    Comparable to a standard garage two stall garage floor weight of 21,450lbs. For a 22'x22'x4" slab.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Build(s):
    if the floor is poured to spec they require I see no problem .

the shop I use to work in has a over pour of a old slab and its thick . all 9 lifts are bolted in as per specs . 6-10k lifts / 1-12k lift / 1-15k lift / 1 12k 4 post alignment lift . not so much as a creek in the lifts use or floor slab . and bolts stay tight in the floor .

76zimmer likes this.
  6. broflow

broflow 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Beags - How much research have you done on the Greg Smith lifts? I assume they China built? are the parts readily available?

I want a 10,000lb and currently have a line on a used Challenger SA-10 that's only 2 years old?

7. beags86

Build(s):
    Yes, the Greg Smith stuff is Asian built. But they say they stand behind it.
    And also state that they will find whatever part you need for any lift you have. If they don't stock it.

I probably won't be buying a lift until late 2017. I'll continue to look around for a used one first.
    I honestly would rather do that then deal with the shipping cost and freight pickup etc, etc. If you don't end up going that route of that 10k. Let me know. I could use a beer trip for some spotted cow. And pick up a lift.

8. 76zimmer

Build(s):
    I think they are all cut in china...Mohawks are designed, assembled, and welded in USA, and the price shows it....about double of most lifts.
    I asked these questions when I was looking and although most are made in China, few have had problems with them.

9. sweetk30

Build(s):
    better go to mohawks web site . . . there built like a tank .

I priced a 10k unit . :yikes: and there in my home state just a few hr drive from me .

76zimmer likes this.
  10. broflow

Mission accomplished. I picked up a 10,000 Challenger that was on Craigs. It was only 2 years old and was in a private,hobby shop. I was able to use it and disassemble it. If it wasn't for some overspray on the arms it would look new.

11. sweetk30

Build(s):
    price ?

12. broflow

$2000.00 It also came with the extra adaptors. that's a little over $1200 dollars off the same model new. The former owner helped me take it down. He said it had probably only been up and down 50 times

View attachment 20170521_082903.jpg

13. brans87

brans87 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nice find! Wish I could fit a lift in my garage I have now. Heck my truck doesn't even fit in garage now.

Next house is either going to have a garage big enough for a lift or I will build one for a lift. Getting to old to do shit on my back and spoiled by work!

76zimmer likes this.
  14. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront Stuck going nowhere fast Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    My goal was to have a bigger shop than house.

House 1296sf
    Shop 2260sf

broflow and brans87 like this.
  15. broflow

I agree.
    House 2040sf
    Shop 2400sf

brans87 likes this.
  16. 76zimmer

Build(s):
    I agree three!
    House 2150
    Garage/shop space 3168

broflow likes this.
  17. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Way jealous of everyones space.

House: 2800
    shop/garage: 1344

18. 76zimmer

Build(s):
    its not how much you have, its what you do with it!

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My friend is planning to get his current "Global" lift replaced...
    It is a 7,000 lb unit that is quite old,and he's had to put new safety cables on it,one leaf chain,and the motor rebuilt once--the saftey locks have not worked in years,as long as he's used it,no "troubles",thankfully..--the lift came with the building he rented,but the guy he was sharing the building with was "renting" him the lift for $100 a WEEK!..(for almost 6 years at least!)--I was pretty surprised to hear that..usually he's not the type to get taken like that..he's paid for a brand new one twice,maybe three times over..

Anyway,now a local hydraulic jack rebuilder who also sells and installs lifts,stopped at his shop to give a quote on getting his hydraulic jack he uses to lift up gas tanks and transmissions rebuilt--he said for 2500 bucks,he can sell him a 5 year old,fully refurbished Rotary 2 post lift,10,000 lb capacity,with the same 6 month warranty as a new one...he claims the lift was in a shop and "didn't get used much,only when they repaired a dually or one ton dump truck,which was not that often"...and he can arrange monthly payments of $35 ,much less than he was paying..:eek:..

I thought that was a pretty good deal,and I think he said the guy will remove the old lift and set it outside under a tarp,so anyone wanting to buy it can get to it,plus install the "new" one..

I don't know what the owner will want for the Global lift--if it was real cheap I'd be tempted to get it for my garage,but my pickup weighs close to 6300 lbs empty,and I've had it on the lift before,you can tell its straining to lift it...and no safety locks isn't good either..
    I would not be using it much too,not "commercially" on a daily basis like he was,just to work on my own vehicles..

I stupidly passed up a drive on ramp style lift at another shop,when the building was bought,the new owners "stripped" it of all the old equipment...for $100 I could have owned it,it had an 11,000 lb capacity..

I know the "ramp" drive on types are not as easy to work under as a 2 post one,but it had rolling air jacks and I could have lived with its limitations...worse part is the guy who scoffed it before I heard it was up for grabs,never even installed it in his shop--then he got sick,and his plans changed--the thing sat in the woods for years,until it was a worthless P-O-S,the cylinders rusted up bad,and it was all rusted...:mad:..

My vehicles would be in much better condition if I had a lift...not being able to lie under one for long discourages me from doing a lot of things they should have done..

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Well,my friend got his "new barely used" Rotary lift installed Monday..

Its actually a 9,000 lb unit--the 10,000 lb one would have required major mods to his shop bay to fit in it,and any truck large enough to fit on it would not fit in the bay anyways--the garage is basically a one car garage that is about 30 feet long and they had to cut out an opening in the ceiling to allow a vehicle to be lifted to full height..
    Hard to explain,I'd have to take pictures to better describe it..

The lift looks brand new,it was only 5 years old,a landscaping company had it installed to use on their own small fleet of trucks for oil changes and minor repairs,then after it sat idle for 2 years,the company decided to just get rid of the lift (and their "on call" mechanic),and just send the trucks out to be repaired elsewhere..
    The guy said he gets a lot of "hardly used" lifts from similar instances,when an older guy buys one to work on his old cars,and ends up dying,or sick and needs the cash,etc..happens a lot I guess..

This lift has the uprights tilted at an angle,so you can open the doors on a vehicle much wider without hitting the mirrors or door on the lift,it is a foot or so wider than the old lift too..

The guy sold it to him for 1800 bucks,and installed it ,wired it up,etc,for a total cost of 2500 bucks,and he's giving a 6 month warranty on it,same as if it was a brand new one..
    It looks like it was never used..

He also was going to fix two large transmission jacks and an under the lift jack,but it turned out the only thing wrong with them was the oil filler plug they put in them for shipping purposes,was left in,instead of the correct "vented" filler plug being put in!..all that they'll need to work properly is to drill a tiny hole in the filler plug...
    The guy seemed honest,he could have made a killing "fixing" those jacks...

The guy said the old Global lift was a "total P-O-S,probably one of the worst designs there was,and over complicated,the only good thing about them was the uprights were built like tanks--each one weighs over a ton...but he also said that design is now outlawed,and even if he had a brand new one "leftover" from the era this one was built,he could not sell it "legally"...he added "your lucky you ain't dead,working under that thing so long,you were on very thin ice"..

He pointed out two cables on it that were replaced in 2015 were already frayed and ready to snap..and he wishes anyone who buys the old lift "lots of luck" trying to re-assemble it--he's had many of them apart and said they are a real suck pill to get together and make work right again..

Now I want a lift more than ever...doubt I'll ever be able to get one though..:(