Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me find a lift for my Garage

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Chevy305, Mar 29, 2017.

1. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

beags86 likes this.
  2. beags86

beags86 Beagle's House of Fab Premium Member

How big were the footings?

My initial thoughts are to cut a 2x2 square hole, dig two feet deep. And then at the bottom of the footings place a 1/2 inch plate, whatever size of the lift post is, with welded anchor bolts coming up through the concrete.
    Rebar on top of the embed with the rebar sticking through under the existing slab.

No such thing as Overkill.

3. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront Stuck going nowhere fast Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was way overkill. 3 feet by 4 feet by 3 feet deep. Built a number 4 bar cage to set in it with J hooks hooked under he top of the cage.

4. beags86

Using the stated above the total weight of the concrete would be roughly 4800lbs(4788)per side.

Using my 2x2x2 would only be 1064 per side. I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable with that weight as an anchor. I feel like a ton on each side would be a safe amount.
    Comparable to a standard garage two stall garage floor weight of 21,450lbs. For a 22'x22'x4" slab.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if the floor is poured to spec they require I see no problem .

the shop I use to work in has a over pour of a old slab and its thick . all 9 lifts are bolted in as per specs . 6-10k lifts / 1-12k lift / 1-15k lift / 1 12k 4 post alignment lift . not so much as a creek in the lifts use or floor slab . and bolts stay tight in the floor .

76zimmer likes this.
  6. broflow

broflow 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Beags - How much research have you done on the Greg Smith lifts? I assume they China built? are the parts readily available?

I want a 10,000lb and currently have a line on a used Challenger SA-10 that's only 2 years old?

7. beags86

Yes, the Greg Smith stuff is Asian built. But they say they stand behind it.
    And also state that they will find whatever part you need for any lift you have. If they don't stock it.

I probably won't be buying a lift until late 2017. I'll continue to look around for a used one first.
    I honestly would rather do that then deal with the shipping cost and freight pickup etc, etc. If you don't end up going that route of that 10k. Let me know. I could use a beer trip for some spotted cow. And pick up a lift.

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think they are all cut in china...Mohawks are designed, assembled, and welded in USA, and the price shows it....about double of most lifts.
    I asked these questions when I was looking and although most are made in China, few have had problems with them.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

better go to mohawks web site . . . there built like a tank .

I priced a 10k unit . :yikes: and there in my home state just a few hr drive from me .

76zimmer likes this.