Hi beam light won't work

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by adamf085, Nov 30, 2015.

1. adamf085

adamf085 Registered Member

First off, sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this thread. If it isn't then I can post in something different. But anyways, I have a 1990 K5 Blazer which I just bought. I was driving home and was using my HI beam light. It was working. The lights worked. They turned on and off just fine. The next morning I tried to turn them on and it wouldn't click. I feel like I broke the switch by clicking it too hard or something lol. So I think I broke it that way because everything else on the switch works except the Hi beam light. The turn signals, wipers, etc all works except for the HI beam now. I think my question is how can I fix this if I can just assume it's the switch I broke and I had to replace it? How would I go about doing that? Take apart the steering column and install and new one? Please help! Thanks! Again if this isn't the place to post this just let me know. I didn't see any other place to post this other then the era of my truck lol.

2. Kain

Kain 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):

adamf085 likes this.
  3. Kain

Kain 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    should be real close to yours but it gives you an idea of what to do

4. adamf085

Thanks buddy! I appreciate it I'll look it over tomorrow

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The dimmer switch is at the base of the column. Can't see the video from here, but I assume that's the replacement for the turn signal switch assembly. That might cause issues, but the switch at the base of the column is the likely problem. There is no headlight wiring in the turn signal switch. If the lever moves properly (nothing broken there with the lever) there is a metal rod that connects it to the switch at the base of the column.

6. adamf085

It is broken. I have felt it when it works and now the metal rod in the switch feels like it isn't there anymore. I must have pushed it too hard or something. Not entirely sure though. But it doesn't feel the same and doesn't function the same so I'm assuming it's broken

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can see at least part of the rod as it works down near the base of the column. I'm just suggesting to find the problem before buying parts. If the pivot portion of the switch was broken, I'd almost tend to think the turn signal stalk would just fall out of the column.

8. adamf085

Ah okay. Thanks dude. I'll look into it. Been busy with school so haven't had time to look at it but I will within the week. Also, my wipers don't work on the switch either. The manual part at the top of the handle does, but the delay, lo, and hi part of the wiper system on the handle does not. It seems to function properly so I'm assuming it's a wiring issue. I'll look into that when I take it all apart