CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

SpeedlabDan

Keepin it trashy never classy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So as some of you know I picked up a donor 2001 Silverado 2500hd with an 8.1L/ally drivetrain. So my original plan is to couple my synchro np205 to the Ally and adjust my driveline.

So that leaves my transfer case up for grabs. Well what if I used it and put a d60 with a left side drop in?

Pros: save 1500$ worth of adapters and machining for tone rings etc, deeper reduction, electronic range selection

Cons:cost of a Ford Dana 60, weaker case prone to pump wear etc?

The np205 is certainly more stout but reduction is on the light side and it's expensive to adapt even after the output housing is machined for the tone ring by ORD.

IF I find a good front d60, it should swap relatively easily but is the juice worth the squeeze?

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Will it fit between the rails without shifting the drivetrain over? I'm not a fan of those cases but they are tough.

1977k5

1 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
NP263's have slip yokes front AND back. There's an eliminator for the front, nothing I've seen for the back.

Plus, assuming it's a square body with leaf springs, you need the holy grail 77-79 Ford D60.

Scribbles

Paul
Premium Member
Reaction score
NP263's have slip yokes front AND back. There's an eliminator for the front, nothing I've seen for the back.

Plus, assuming it's a square body with leaf springs, you need the holy grail 77-79 Ford D60.

I'm asking because I don't know but with a grinder and a welder couldn't you make any model year work?

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

That's what I'm worried about. I know nothing about the 263 or whether it is gonna fit. And I didn't even think about the slips but if I had to shorten the rear shaft anyhow, couldn't I have a slip yoke put on?

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm asking because I don't know but with a grinder and a welder couldn't you make any model year work?
The 205 is passenger side drop and the 263 is driver that utilized is up front for stock locations. I'd have to change my front axle.

1977k5

1 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

Are you talking about moving spring perches? The driver's side perch is machined into the differential housing.

1977k5

1 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
77-79 Ford Dana 60 spring pads are 31-1/2" apart, close enough to the 32" on a GM square body that they bolt in.

85-97 Ford Dana 60 spring pads are 36-1/2", 99-04 are 38".

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
To be honest...I went through all of the thinking process you currently are when deciding what I wanted to swap into my CC (I think you have seen, I'm going 8.1/NV4500/205). I thought heavily about doing an Allison too. With all the work/money you just described just to get the 263 to work...I wouldn't think it would be worth it. It seems much more simple to just put the money into the 205 to get it to mate up to the Allison and you are good to go. And when looking at the strengths of the 263 vs the 205...I don't see a big advantage for going 263 (sure little bit lower gear reduction...but on your lifted CC dually with an 8.1, I don't even think you would notice the difference in gear reduction).

Keeping it as simple of a swap as you can would be highly beneficial if you ask me. And I think just work on the 205 is way more simple then doing all the extra work to get a 263 case in there

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

When I looked at finding the 77-79 ford d60, at least at the time when I lived near Denver so looking at all of CO and it's surrounding states, they were expensive enough that it wasn't worth it just to get a 263 case (or driver drop case that was already bolted to an Allison) to work.

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
To be honest...I went through all of the thinking process you currently are when deciding what I wanted to swap into my CC (I think you have seen, I'm going 8.1/NV4500/205). I thought heavily about doing an Allison too. With all the work/money you just described just to get the 263 to work...I wouldn't think it would be worth it. It seems much more simple to just put the money into the 205 to get it to mate up to the Allison and you are good to go. And when looking at the strengths of the 263 vs the 205...I don't see a big advantage for going 263 (sure little bit lower gear reduction...but on your lifted CC dually with an 8.1, I don't even think you would notice the difference in gear reduction).

Keeping it as simple of a swap as you can would be highly beneficial if you ask me. And I think just work on the 205 is way more simple then doing all the extra work to get a 263 case in there
Very good point!!! Honestly I'm just trying g to pick the bones clean on my donor truck as with 197k I doubt anyone would even buy the tcase. I wouldn't. I guess it'll sit and I'll rebuild my 205 with the new input shaft and send out for machine then it will be bulletproof. Woulda been cool to put the 60 from my cc in the K5 along with the 14bff from the donor buti use the d44 for now

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Very good point!!! Honestly I'm just trying g to pick the bones clean on my donor truck as with 197k I doubt anyone would even buy the tcase. I wouldn't. I guess it'll sit and I'll rebuild my 205 with the new input shaft and send out for machine then it will be bulletproof. Woulda been cool to put the 60 from my cc in the K5 along with the 14bff from the donor buti use the d44 for now

I think you would be surprised, if you throw it on C-list, I bet someone would buy it. Those years were notorious for "pump rub" and if not found early enough would destroy the case. I bet someone who would be unfortunate enough to have that happen in their truck would look for a cheaper option and would buy your case just to get them back on the road, even if it has higher miles on it

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised, if you throw it on C-list, I bet someone would buy it. Those years were notorious for "pump rub" and if not found early enough would destroy the case. I bet someone who would be unfortunate enough to have that happen in their truck would look for a cheaper option and would buy your case just to get them back on the road, even if it has higher miles on it
Oh I'm gonna try it's just too bad dealing with CL is so annoying

max 02

N.E.D.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

For sure! I would buy it just for a spare. Same as your front fenders...you are too far away!

b454rat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will the 205 even go on the Allison? The tranny uses an oddball spline and didn't think was available for the 205....

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Will the 205 even go on the Allison? The tranny uses an oddball spline and didn't think was available for the 205....
Ill probably rebuild the 205 with a new input shaft from precisionfabricationplus and housing adapter. From there I'd have the Speedometer housing sent out to ORD to be machined for the vss

Kay86K5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

As said above, no a 205 was never attached to an Allison. Allisons are 29 spline outputs. Couple companies sell parts to adapt a 205 to the Allison. ORD sells a 29 spline replacement input for the 205, and you just need a tranny to trans adapter and your pretty much good. And as mentioned, if you don't have a 205 that accepts VSS, then you need to adapt the rear output to accept that so the Allison shifts correctly.

Justin V

I should've stayed up there
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Wouldn't a 241 be a simpler choice?

Top Bottom