My 72 blazer

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ekajkrats, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ekajkrats

ekajkrats 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Little Upate

Dang, can't believe it's been over a year since posting on my own thread.

First, thanks max 02! Better late than never? :D

We'll in the last year I haven't done a ton, except for driving it as much as possible. I've been running an old Holley 4 barrel TBI for the past year, and aside from some funkiness of tuning a analog kit, it's been great. I love the ease of starting up, the throttle response and the reliability at steep angles and high altitudes.

On my dad's 74th birthday we made a trip up to Mammoth Lakes area. Here are a few pics from that trip at the beginning of October.

We ended up doing two trails while up there. The first was a 5 mile road up to the Laurel Lakes. The elevation starts at 7,300 ft and ends up at about 10k ft. There were some beautiful fall views. Here's a bit of my dad's pics.

Trees on the way up the trail:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The birthday boy on his 74th:
    [​IMG]

At the lakes:
    [​IMG]

The upper lake:
    [​IMG]

On the way back down:
    [​IMG]

The other trail was near the Mammoth Lakes Scenic loop. Not a ton a great views, but there was a cool 1 mile hiking loop at the Inyo Craters near Deer Mountain. Two small pools of water in craters created by lava hitting some pockets of water under ground, creating steam and blowing the ground above. Pretty amazing on how they were created and cool to visit:
    [​IMG]

Unlike the trail to Laurel Lakes, I never had to touch 4wd, let alone 4wd low:
    [​IMG]

We also made it a point to check out the Devil's Postpile. I had never been before and wanted to see since it was so close and easy to get to. It was just a drive down a paved Park road and 1/2 mile hike on the valley floor. But the site was well worth it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top of the Post Pile:
    [​IMG]

Now that I've been back for a bit from the trip, I've got a few parts to put on the Blazer. It's cosmetic parts, apart from the new gas tank. This will always be my kick around, trail rig, so these parts like door handles, inner grill and dash pad sure feels like putting lipstick on a pig.

-Jacob

bmxbryant9 likes this.
  2. ashman

ashman It's not a bronco Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Those are some cool pics man. Love the top of the post pile, very cool!

Thanks for sharing.

3. max 02

max 02 N.E.D. Premium Member

Build(s):
    Yeah exactly! :thumb:

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Wild!

5. blazer74

blazer74 Member Premium Member

Interesting pics, never seen that before.

Nice looking Blazer, like the stock look.

How do you like the tan top?
    I'm tossed up on tan vs black, afraid the tan will stain easily.

6. ekajkrats

Thanks guys, glad you could enjoy them.

I like the tan top a lot. I have had it on there for just over 2 years now. It lives under an oak tree in my driveway, and I can say there aren't any noticeable stains. That's with birds crapping red berries on it even. It washes up pretty good, when it does get one. Honestly though, it's been a while since I have scrubbed down the canvas material. I do use bestop vinyl cleaner to clean the windows, which like all vinyl windows show the wear of being rolled up since I cruise around with them like that often.

My two main reasons for picking it was I like the tan color, and to keep it cooler inside than the black during the summer months.

I have noticed that during these rain storms I really should have applied the seam sealer they sent with it to help keep the drips out. The first year and a half, I never had this problem.

I wouldn't change to black if I could go back, but I am sure those are pretty nice too, as Softopper makes a nice product.

-Jacob

7. blazer74

blazer74 Member Premium Member

Thanks for the info on the color.
    I also wanted to be a little different other than a black top.

8. bmxbryant9

bmxbryant9 Let's go wheelin Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Updates?

9. ekajkrats

This is practically a zombie thread!

All pretty basic stuff. I swapped in a shiny new (actually dull gray) inner grill, put on a new door handle, changed to the pre-72 rear view mirror so it doesn't fall off the windshield and replaced the window felts. Also as mentioned in other threads, I've upgraded to Fi-tech efi.

Other than that. I haven't really gotten out much since the third kid. My oldest and I camped out at Bodega Bay last summer, and it was too windy to set up our tent, so we just slept in the blazer. I dropped the tailgate and stuffed my air mattress on the back and slept there. Zeke is 6, so he just slept on the rear bench seat.

On Sunday I took the top all the way down at his request, and we took the back roads up to Petaluma for a kids bowling birthday party.

Now I'm on the hunt for a deal on the 2007-2015 Suburban 3rd row seat for to replace the bench seat in the back, so that all three kids can be buckled in securely. I've also purchased a new 4" shackle flip for the back from a member, and would like to do 4" spring lift in the front and later blazer stock springs in the back. Zero rates would also be likely to get the wheels centered.

It's my daily driver, so it gets pretty consistent use. By my daily drive is often just to the store, or pickup/drop off the kids, since I work from home.

Let me know if you want to meet up for lunch when you are moved in and all set. I'll introduce you to the local "best" restaurant for the type of foods you like.

bmxbryant9 and skunked like this.
  10. bmxbryant9

bmxbryant9 Let's go wheelin Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Haha, bringing it to life! That is awesome with the fittech. I assume it runs killer with it.

We're pretty much all settled in. The weather here is driving me crazy though. Are there any mild places you take it to?

ekajkrats likes this.
  11. ekajkrats

The fitech has been great. Out of the box I was dumping too much fuel before cranking and that was making the starts rough, especially when warm. So now it's just small tweaking to get it better and better.

As far as I know, there is nothing in Marin or Sonoma you can go off road, unless you know a rancher.

I've taken the blazer to Cow Mt (and would again), trails between Chico and Redbluff, connected Truckee to Nevada City, and have done some trails around Mammoth.

I had worked up a route between Oroville and Plumas Eureka, but my copilot had to drop out the summer I was planning on doing it. So thats on my to do list. I have a book for Northern CA trails and there is a huge empty space near the Bay area. Closest would be Berryessa to Clear Lake. With the blazer I love going to remote places and camping, and really the best places for that are in the Sierras. It's a bummer to say, but you were spoiled living in Chico.

The weather we are having now is what I would call typical non-drought Spring. You'll get nice days and then rain mixed in. The fall is the best time for the coast, especially if we are having an Indian summer.

Hopefully your job is going well for you! Stay safe and hopefully you won't have to deal with too many stuck up Marinites.

bmxbryant9 likes this.
  12. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Jake, I just connected this thread now. It was fun meeting you and I'm hoping I can get my truck up in some of those trails. The pictures are amazing.

13. ekajkrats

Yeah Brian, it's a pretty generic thread title and not a lot of consistent activity so I think it's easy to fade into the background.
    Though I drive it almost daily, it's been about 2 years since it's touched dirt.

Hopefully this summer can remedy that!

I got the plenum and air filter on today, in a semi perminent spot.

[​IMG]

I think I'll drive it a bit and see how things go.

The trip down to San Jose and back went off without a hitch. Even sat in traffic through the city on 19th and the fuel injection worked great. That was my longest trip so far on this system.

I did burn up one wire. I had disconnected the temp sender green wire (original to the Blazer) because the sender had stopped working. And then I never properly fastened it. So now I need to replace the sender and the wire.