CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Need Help to Identify the crane on my service truck.

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
 Premium
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
No tags , no stickers no , info on the truck anywhere to identify it.

The hoist motor works but the turntable motor and pinion gear are missing .

I have removed and replaced all the solenoids and replaced them with wireless solid state contactors.

I can use the crane with our the swing function but it would be nice to have .

20180717_185423.jpg

20180717_185429.jpg

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
 Premium
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I sent the pic to a lineman who has been a lineman for 50 years. But I can't id it.

All I know is a crane like that would be awesome

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
 Premium
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
You sure it’s not someone’s handy work?

Well it could be, if it is I want to meet him because it is very well built .

The motors and solenoid packs appear to the same as a Warn 8274.

So really all I need is the pinion gear that goes on the motor shaft.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The straight cut gear and size makes me think the landing gear on a 53’ trailer

rampage

3/4 ton status
 Premium
Reaction score
Post up the shaft diameter (and if it’s keyed, D shaped, set screw, etc) and pinion tooth count. Maybe someone can help you search for it.

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
 Premium
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So the swing motor bolts here , I'm gonna have to take this gear box apart to measure all the gears and shafts to figure out what's missing :(

20180718_105233.jpg

20180718_105241.jpg

Fordum

1 ton status
 Premium
Reaction score
So, the motor that is there raises and lowers the boom?
I'm betting you will find that you need a worm gear to drive the table. Probably going to be a round gear inside the box that is the driven unit for a worm.
That is assuming that the motor mount is at right angles to the shaft like its seems to be from the pics.
If so, then it looks like the worm has to come off for the motor to come out. So, if you are a heck of a lot luckier than I usually am, you might find the worm in the box. If I pulled the motor to get it worked on, I would probably leave it in there until I got the motor repaired just to keep from losing it.
Actually, looking at it again, that hole might be big enough for the worm to come out. If so, then you are going to have to do some more work to find out what is needed.

I would take a look at the motor you have. If its a worm drive, they might have used the same parts on the other gearbox for cost savings. If so, it would help you figure out what you need for the swing.

I vaguely remember seeing something that when I was little.
The only one I am familiar with is my Pitman Polecat on the back of my boom truck. But its all hydraulic running off a PTO pump, and does not look much like that.
Either way, I would pull any cover or inspection plate off the part that works to see what condition the parts are inside. Worm gears can wear thin, and if the lift part uses a ball screw to raise and lower the boom, that can wear or the ball cage can get loose.
You don't want a catastrophic failure when something heavy or delicate is up in the air. Or potentially explosive like those gas bottles.
Even if its not worn badly, I bet it could use some fresh grease.

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
 Premium
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So the motor that is present is the hoist motor , the boom lift is manual. The swing motor is missing . It attaches to a gear box , the pinion gear on the motor appears to be a beveled gear which spins a worm gear on a shaft that spins another gear on a shaft the comes out the top whích engages the turn table.

All the gears run in oil(smells and looks like gear oil ) , no grease . No evidence of water intrusion . All the gears look great . The hoist gear box is similar in design but larger with more reduction and the gear is straight not beveled.

If I can't find parts then I will just adapt a dodge box or similar gear box to make the swing function.

Last edited:

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
 Premium
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
More pics, tomorrow I will take the swing motor gear box apart .

20180718_212606.jpg

20180718_212614.jpg

20180718_212635.jpg

Fordum

1 ton status
 Premium
Reaction score
Completely misread what the motor did. From the pictures I did not see a cable or what looked like a winch, so I figured the motor raised and lowered the boom.
I also figured, or hoped that the gears were running in oil, but I have seen some that used grease, and they needed to be checked more closely than heavy oil.
Having said that, I recently ran into an interesting alternative.

My new bush hog type mower uses something called Cotton Picker Grease. I looked it up, and its basically grade 00 grease.
The best way to describe it is either really really soft grease, or really really thick oil.
It has the shock loading and extreme pressure qualities of a grease gun type grease, but it will flow around in a gearbox like 90w.
I doubt it would work, or someone would be using it, but it would be interesting to see what it would do in a differential.

I have a 20 foot cantilever gate whose gate opener gearbox uses a grease. My old opener was the same way, and I filled it with 90w. It seemed to work a lot better, and I never had any problems with the gears. A bad motor finally killed it after many years of reliable service.
This new one is built differently with a seam that might let 90w leak out. I'm going to try some 00 to see what happens.
If your system is holding the oil, I would stick with that. But if you start having seepages that are hard to seal, consider changing.

Meanwhile, looking forward to more pics to see what is needed to get the swing table going, and how the hoist part works.

diesel4me

1 ton status
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
Most manual lawn tractor transmissions made by Peerless/Tecumseh and Foote,Dana,Spicer and others use "Bentonite" grease instead of gear oil..some guys say "Corn Head Grease" is the same thing,or close enough..

Personally I don't like grease in these transmissions,it gets dried out and migrates away from the gears .leaving pockets that collect condensation,lets everything rust up inside..

Most of the "dead" transmissions I've taken apart had a #41 chain and sprockets joining two shafts for reverse ,and that chain would rust bad enough to break,then wind around one sprocket and either lock the transmission up,or crack the case,if the operator tried popping the clutch a few times in hopes that would get things working again..

I've added some 90W gear lube to these transmissions at the advice of others who have done so,it does work much better,I have used chassis grease or hi temp wheel bearing grease with no harmful effects too in them,despite some claims gear lube can "eat" bronze bushings in some of them,I never had any troubles with that..

They make a hundred types of greases,I used to get driven nuts at the parts stores by cranberry growers requiring greases that met certain specs for berry pickers,some had to be food grade,others used "open gear grease" on crane turntables and winches...that stuff is very hard to wash off and sticks like crazy..

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
 Premium
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So I have gave up on finding parts, so now I'm on the hunt for a "dodge" box that will accept a 12volt reversible motor

diesel4me

1 ton status
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
Did you discover something missing ?...gears can be had from various sources,up here Boston Gear makes them for just about anything,W.W. Grainger sells a lot of their gears by size,tooth count,pitch,etc..

I know it sucks when you have a decently built unit,but cant identify it or get an exploded diagram of it to see what belongs inside it..

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
 Premium
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
It's missing a gear,

I hadn't thought about trying to find it. I just assumed it would be more cost effective to buy a dodge box. I will look into that place you mentioned

https://www.bostongear.com

Fordum

1 ton status
 Premium
Reaction score
Yep, most of the time, companies build stuff using off the shelf parts as much as possible. About the only time they don't is when what they need just does not exist, or they want to be the exclusive supplier.
I needed a drive gear for a winch on my father's truck once.
The motor had developed problems, and I pulled it off to get a new one. Put the mounting bolts and the gear off the shaft in a small box so they would not get lost.
And, of course, the box got thrown away.
The company that I had bought that winch from was out of business. But a friend of mine had bought one too. I went over, pulled the motor off his and got the gear. Went up to Dothan Gears in Dothan Alabama and showed it to them.
They measured the shaft size, diameter, and gear pitch.
Couple of minutes in a catalog, and they had one on the way. Came in about a week later, fit and worked perfectly. Not sure, but I think it was even made by Boston Gear.
Of course, you don't have a gear to go by, but you know the size of the shaft of whatever motor you decide to use, you can measure the gear pitch off the driven gear, and you can measure from the center of the shaft to the inside of the driven gear teeth to determine the size.
It has to be bigger than the motor shaft to fit over it, and has to reach to the driven gear. There will probably be a couple of diameter gears that will fit, just guess at what ratio you want. Probably the slower the better. Less load on the motor, and you don't want the boom swinging too fast.

yellowK20

Well Lubricated
 Premium
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm gonna see if one of my spare winch motors will bolt up, after that I will look into finding the gear to fit it.

Top Bottom