Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New type of Door panel cover I noticed in LMC

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by rpcraft, Sep 24, 2016.

1. rpcraft

rpcraft 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Was searching for something over on the LMC site today and happened to come across something that caught my eye. Looks like they have some new panels from TMI for K5's from 67 to 72 and all the Squarebody style . I couldn't find any really great photos of an install or the kit. I'm sure there are some accommodations for power windows and stuff but it would be nice if LMC had an actual photo of all the stuff that is on the lower left of the door skinon their site but it looks like a nice luxury type panel. It's pricey but it certainly looks nice if you were wanting to upgrade your interior and match the niceness of some of the leather seats I've seen a few folks add.

I'll probably try and give them a call or email this week and see if I can get a parts break down and maybe they have some install instructions or photos.

Here is the TMI site http://www.tmiproducts.com/

LMC picture:
    [​IMG]

2. rpcraft

Looks like they have a tiny picture where maybe the Power Windows are installed, same hardware as OEM.

[​IMG]
    I'll probably go ahead and stick with my OE garbage and just clean well and repaint/dye them to the original color and then replace the little carpet pieces around the door latch handle along with the pull straps. It's all grey now and I was going to change it all to black but I was using a rental car in Florida the other day and was reminded how savagely hot the inside of a vehicle can be and how much longer it takes to cool off when stuff is black, lol

3. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That's neat. Might just be worth it for the upgrade and sound deadening.

4. rpcraft

I thought that initially but then I was thinking the sound deadening might not be any better than a door that has been well prepared with sound deadening material to begin with. I am pretty sure it will cost a lot less to do that and have stock panels then to spend 520 bucks on those. I'd love to see better pictures of a good install, especially if they are covered with vinyl or faux leather. Would definitely be nice to have more cushion to set your arm on while driving but I think a lot of door panels today are still hard plastic so I'd never know better, lol.

5. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

wow, $520 is kind of a game changer
    Could easily do some FatMat all over the doors, plus nice original looking ones, for that price
    hmmm

RubberFloorMat and rpcraft like this.
  6. rpcraft

Indeed... Pipe Dreams though.

7. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    Man, I dunno…… those TMI panels look nice but anything from LMC scares me. Granted, these are panels made by a different supplier rather than in house LMC garbage but for $500 I’d be scared to take the risk. I bought LMC’s door panels and they are absolute junk. They look nice but are cheap and noisy…the creak and make tons of itching noise to the point I am ready to throw them away. Very annoying listening to them make so many noises! The ones I bought are pretty much one time use only because they will get destroyed upon removal due to their cheap hard plastic design. This winter I may just try to restore my original door panels and throw these LMC junkers to the curb… The write up on the door panels I used is HERE.

8. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

for that price, you can have a set of nice panels leather wrapped or whatever you want.

9. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my plan is to do something similar to what Larry did. reproduction panels, and then make the door and panel as air tight and not rattle as much as possible. My original panels are red, and are total crap but even if they weren't that d be my plan. Its mazing what you can do with some stick on sound mat and some elbow grease.

rpcraft likes this.
  10. rpcraft

I agree

11. 1975Jimmy

1975Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Found this photo on their web site. I sent them some questions about these door panels as they look a hell of a lot nicer than the Coverlay junk I have now.

IMG_0046.JPG