CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Overland Dysfunction Rendezvous 2016

attendance

• Total voters

702GS

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Even though Overland Dysfunction has a strict "no drinking" on the trail policy.

I'm new, are you saying people drink and drive while offroading? If so that's ridiculous and so unsafe!

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Looking forward to circling the mechanical covered wagons. I'll rep some Texas brew, and maybe some of the states on the way.

David

natemc

Adventure is an Addiction
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Here's a mapping update for everyone. We are currently playing with a few different navigation programs. Our goal is to print everyone a daily itinerary. However, if it works out, we will also be supplying a pdf map for you to load on the device of your choosing. Currently, our best option is for everyone who is attending have "Avensa" on a phone, tablet or both.

Second update. Related to communication. Make sure you have a CB at minimum. We have GMRS radios installed in our rigs and with testing being done now. If they work to the point we think they will, they will be our choice in the future. This allows handheld walkie-talkie to communicate with the vehicles(great for spotters). We are slowly building our Stock of loaner handhelds, but keep in mind that if you have them, bring them.

Cucv_M1008

Cthulhu Forever
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I can get a handheld duel band ham/civvy radio. I have a cb I can mount in my truck as well.

muddysub

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
By May I should have a dual band handheld, CB and games all in the truck. I just need to build a roof rack, finish my winch mount, mount gas cans and buy a few things.

natemc

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
@campfire maybe some day we'll make it out to you.

The new format looks to not allow me to change the title of the thread. Scott and I decided on Overland Dysfunction Rendezvous 2016.
I am looking into a location for a meet and greet to kick off the week. Our family is looking hotels for Sunday night. We will be in Reno Sunday morning sometime. I plan to take most of the day to go over the rig and gear. On my trip to reno last week I found a good location and facility that can handle a large amount of people. Fairly close to many good hotels and restraunts. I'm still looking around everytime I travel down to Reno.
After looking at the distance that has to be covered between Reno/Sparks and Gerlach. We probably won't be able to do a 4 wheel parts get together on Monday morning. We'll probably be grabbing breakfast, fuel and hitting the highway. Hopefully we'll be able to get to "Friends of Black Rock" visitor center shortly after noon. We'll head to the Black Rock Playa for the evening and find somewhere to circle the mechanical wagons as @AgDieseler said.

After a pretty intense photo shoot for the world famous @muddysub doing hot laps across the Playa. We'll be headed north, destination unknown at this point. The ultimate goal is to see as much magnificent terrain before our final camp as a group Thursday night. Those that are coming from the northwest with us will continue to cruise the desert through Saturday morning if you want. Saturday at noon we will be headed for the nearest highway to beat feet home. I'm sure that Scott will have a southern route planned for Friday and Saturday for those going his direction.

Guys, please speak up with any info of the area that you know of. I've contacted @colbystephens here in Oregon and will be tapping into his knowledge of the area. Also, if you have any interest in taking on responsibilities to assist us, PM @muddysub or I.

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
This will take some planning to get there from Dallas.

Looking at my route in, I'm going to try and tie in work trips in Denver and Salt Lake City in order to semi-legitimize the long journey there and break it up over a series of days. My cruise control (right ankle) gets tired after 13 hrs or 700 miles, plus I can't take that much vacation time at once. @natemc, depending on the planned route in from Reno, I might like to meet up somewhere closer to the "AO" or a town nearby rather than coming into Reno and then backtracking. However, I definitely won't come all this way just to shave 400 miles and miss important group activities in Reno. We can continue to work out those details as the locations and timing firms up.

I'll join @muddysub on the southern route out. We're going to cruise the strip and gamble in the hopes of funding many future projects and backcountry adventures. Fair warning, my top desired cruising speed is somewhere around 65mph. Beyond that, the vibrations become...sybian. That is, until I hit 88mph and the diesel is spinning at or near 3000, which causes time to reverse. I know your gray steel bullet likes 75mph, but I'll catch up.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try and string together a few garage visits to fellow CK5'ers between Big D and The Rendezvous. I'm doing at least one oil change on this trip.

David

natemc

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So our biggest idea for the initial Meet and Greet in Reno is to get everyone the details to the weeks itinerary.
The bonus is the ability to create a CK5 get together that the Pacific region can do. It might take some strings being pulled for those who want to just do a get together on a Sunday evening. But how often do we get the chance to meet and hang out in person where we aren't destroying square bodies? It's gonna have fun for all of the family involved.

natemc

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
@AgDieseler it's awesome to hear that you're trying to coordinate this trip. Maybe a few others might want to join you on the way?

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So our biggest idea for the initial Meet and Greet in Reno is to get everyone the details to the weeks itinerary...
Got it. I'll plan to meet up in Reno with the group.

it's awesome to hear that you're trying to coordinate this trip. Maybe a few others might want to join you on the way?
I'm all for a mechanical wagon train. Quick check of shops, outdoor gear suppliers, and cool stuff along the way: ORD, Tom Woods Driveshafts, Kifaru, Bonneville Salt Flats, Pike's Peak, and the Big Texan Steak House.

David

muddysub

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
This will take some planning to get there from Dallas.

Looking at my route in, I'm going to try and tie in work trips in Denver and Salt Lake City in order to semi-legitimize the long journey there and break it up over a series of days. My cruise control (right ankle) gets tired after 13 hrs or 700 miles, plus I can't take that much vacation time at once. @natemc, depending on the planned route in from Reno, I might like to meet up somewhere closer to the "AO" or a town nearby rather than coming into Reno and then backtracking. However, I definitely won't come all this way just to shave 400 miles and miss important group activities in Reno. We can continue to work out those details as the locations and timing firms up.

I'll join @muddysub on the southern route out. We're going to cruise the strip and gamble in the hopes of funding many future projects and backcountry adventures. Fair warning, my top desired cruising speed is somewhere around 65mph. Beyond that, the vibrations become...sybian. That is, until I hit 88mph and the diesel is spinning at or near 3000, which causes time to reverse. I know your gray steel bullet likes 75mph, but I'll catch up.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try and string together a few garage visits to fellow CK5'ers between Big D and The Rendezvous. I'm doing at least one oil change on this trip.

David

Haha! She likes 80mph a lot. I'll travel whatever speed is necessary to keep the convoy moving together. We have the same cruise control setup, haha!

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom