CK5
Register an account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Papa’s Truck

1990 Chevy C1500
Wd40 didn’t work on the brake lines. ATF/acetone and a line wrench didn’t work. Torch and a line wrench worked. Got the last hose swapped and all the brakes bled. Just about 2 full quarts to get everything clear and air free. New tires go on tomorrow along with hopefully the water temp gauge (got a couple new mount versions printing). Then it’s time for a test drive. Perfect timing cause the folks are coming up for grandparents day for the kids on Friday. I’ll get to have three generations of Williams family in my grandfather’s truck at one time.
 
New skins are always a cool thing!
We’ll need pictures of the ride.
 
Mostly successful first ride. Master cylinder reservoir is leaking from every seal. Oil psi gauge drops to zero when stopped but immediately comes back with any little throttle.

But, it runs so smooth and so strong it’s incredible. The truck doesn’t have a single rattle or squeak. Motor has tons of power and is very responsive and smooth. It’s smoother than any vehicle I own modern or not. Transmission shifts perfectly. Could not be happier.

IMG_4348.jpeg

IMG_6969.jpeg
 
Are these r134 fittings? And what’s this plug I found disconnected on the back of the compressor? The plug itself looks ok but where it plugs into looks broken and the pin is very loose.

IMG_6976.jpeg

IMG_6977.jpeg

IMG_6978.jpeg
 
Yes, R-134a fittings. That single wire plug on the compressor is to cut off the compressor when the pressure is too high. They seem to get unplugged here in the heat belt to keep things working in stopped traffic during the heat of the day. Your choice.
 
Got bored and had some extra 1/0 and a 6ga wire from a previous project so I upgraded a couple of grounds. That crinkled wire is heat shrink. Cable was red and that would have driven me nuts having red on a ground. Eventually I’ll buy more 1/0 black and red and add a ground from batt to frame and batt to core support and then a new starter wire.

IMG_7021.jpeg

IMG_7022.jpeg
 
Humor me here while I focus on something other than repairs.

Plans for this truck are a solid 4-450hp at the wheels running through a 4l80e and a sf 6 lug axle. I’ve already swapped in an upgraded Delphi pump that was recommended over the factory pump that flows 155lph.

I’m torn between doing a heads/cam/sniper system on the 350 or dropping in a 454 with a milder build and maybe just going to the 454 TBI setup with a tune.
 
Why not do a big block and the Holley? I’m a huge fan of the Holley system and love the adjustability of it
 
Top Bottom