Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by pma4x4, Oct 1, 2012.

1. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

Build(s):
    Glad to see you're back, I was wondering about you and how things were doing, good to hear they're looking up for ya.

2. pma4x4

pma4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone have brand recommendations for R134a Condensor? A brand you have used your self with great success?

beags86 likes this.
  3. nutt7

nutt7 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Glad you're back! Here is a link to a post I made about the condenser I got (from 2012). The p/n is in post 1. Despite being shorter in width, it cools my entire suburban really well. I am from AZ too, and it worked excellent in the summer (we did business once, not sure if you remember). I also have windstar fans too, which help at low speeds. The longer I drove, the cooler it got. On longer drives, it could get around 40 at the vents when its 110F. 32 or so when its under 100F. Go to Post 68 for a picture. The core mounts weren't perfectly set up, but it was super easy to make it work. Others chimed in throughout the thread on ones they found too.

noJeepshere likes this.
  4. pma4x4

pma4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I saw that one but when reviews said it didn't fit I passed on it. Perfect! Did you have to modify or make mounts?

Aldo do you have a write up on the Windstar fan upgrade?

Most excellent thanks!

PS yeah I think I got 3/4 ton from outers from ya yes?

5. nutt7

nutt7 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I had to modify a mount I think. Pretty sure I drilled one hole but maybe not even that. I know there was a provision for moving whatever I moved...It took a couple minutes tops and I'm no fabricator.

For the windstar fans, I originally had a guy weld brackets on my aluminum radiator that fit the windstar shroud mounts. The radiator took a dump so I made brackets out of 1/16 steel scrap and screwed them to the core support. Not enough time has passed to see how it'll hold up, but I might do another version. The shroud only got minor trimming to clear hoses. I have not filled in any of the gaps to seal it perfectly to the radiator but it cools fast for the PNW. Others on the forums did things more fancy but I like easy and effective. More recently, I grabbed the relay box and the low speed resistor from a windstar so I can run it in two speeds. On high it sucks a lot of amps and I have melted a relay or three. Low speed has been perfect although I haven't had to deal with it in AZ yet. The factory relay box has a 70a relay and a 30a relay. I was using two 30a relays.

And yes, I sold you some caliper brackets. I just recently purchased another set since I didn't need the ones that allow 15" wheels anymore...and the custom ones caused uneven wear on my pads and calipers. After hunting some down, I realized I gave you a smokin deal, lol!

pma4x4 likes this.