CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Rubicon trip May 13-15th 2016

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
https://calendar.google.com/calenda...ndar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles&pli=1

said calender.

Anytime after the 26th is open. I recommend going on the weekend if you can. If not it makes it a lot more important to have a good crew with you.

Slick rock is also an option, which is near lake alpine. My all time favorite place to camp. The trail is only 2-3 miles long and ive done it in more or less a lifted blazer on 31s lol. Decently challenging for small tire stuff and great seclusion.

Also recommended was the high lakes. I dont know much about it but it seems like a great place.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
saw that the other day lol

I made 40s disappear there. Definitely have to stay to the left. When i went through that at like midnight this dude dropped his phone into the river so someone called it and you could see it light up a bit then it flew down the river never to be seen again haha.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I made 40s disappear there. Definitely have to stay to the left. When i went through that at like midnight this dude dropped his phone into the river so someone called it and you could see it light up a bit then it flew down the river never to be seen again haha.

Did you know what CFM it was flowing at the time?

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you know what CFM it was flowing at the time?

It wasnt as bad going in as when i came out. Roughly 180-200 going in. Coming back out it was released twice so im thinking in the neighborhood of 250-300.

They say absolute max for 40s is 350...which is pretty screamin and getting a bit too sketchy to cross. Theres the video that a toyota got through at 430 cfm but thats the end of life if something happens.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've heard 350sh is about the limit. Vehicle weight plays a role in this too.

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've heard 350sh is about the limit. Vehicle weight plays a role in this too.

As well as lift too. If i had a 16 inch lift, and i made it that far without flopping lol i could get through easy. When i got drug through it at night the water came over the hood. No thanks unless its an absolute to get out of there.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
As well as lift too. If i had a 16 inch lift, and i made it that far without flopping lol i could get through easy. When i got drug through it at night the water came over the hood. No thanks unless its an absolute to get out of there.

Brian is a mad man. He sold his buggy....

noJeepshere

I Drove Trains!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
https://calendar.google.com/calenda...ndar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles&pli=1

said calender.

Anytime after the 26th is open. I recommend going on the weekend if you can. If not it makes it a lot more important to have a good crew with you.

Slick rock is also an option, which is near lake alpine. My all time favorite place to camp. The trail is only 2-3 miles long and ive done it in more or less a lifted blazer on 31s lol. Decently challenging for small tire stuff and great seclusion.

Also recommended was the high lakes. I dont know much about it but it seems like a great place.
Doing the next weekend won't really work with the rest of my plans so it's another trail for me.

Fordyce, probably not...

Slickrock probably, the pictures make it look fairly tough with body damage possible.

High lakes seem like a good idea, depends on the difficulty.

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doing the next weekend won't really work with the rest of my plans so it's another trail for me.

Fordyce, probably not...

Slickrock probably, the pictures make it look fairly tough with body damage possible.

High lakes seem like a good idea, depends on the difficulty.

Yeah cant lose either way you go. Slick rock is a no damage place if you have sliders. if not its a super minimal rub on the lower part of the driver door. Even that could be avoided if you really take your time. Of course slick rock will drive you a bit more south then tahoe. Nothing a couple hours of driving cant fix. Im not sure about 33s and high lakes. I want to say its all good but ive never been. I know a friend of bmx's has a toyota on smaller tires that makes it through.

bmxbryant9

Rebuild reboot
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If it's hard to get out this way I would totally do the Rubicon and try to go all the way through. Just for the experience and the history of the trail

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it's hard to get out this way I would totally do the Rubicon and try to go all the way through. Just for the experience and the history of the trail

Hell yeah. If it came down to go or no go id at the least try to hitch a ride with someone who knows the trail. Its a whole different world back there. Something about going where most others cant is great.

noJeepshere

I Drove Trains!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I was thinking that very thing, I'm going to be camping plenty during the test of my trip, so I should just do the Rubicon for the sake of doing it. It's the Rubicon, the Holy Grail of 4x4 trails, and I may as well do it if I'm going to be there in the area, even if it's going to be crowded with a bunch of Toyota kids.

Sorry I haven't called Scott, I've been super busy with my crazy schedule at work, I'll call tonight for sure though, today is my Friday.

Top Bottom